Fitting a BMW Tilt Sensor by Phil-T4

Phil-T4
I'm not sure if anyone had mentioned this before, a quick search revealed nothing but on the MG ZT (not the 75) wiring diagrams for the Body control Unit it shows a "Tilt Sensor", obviously this raised my curiosity, the connector plug isn't show on any of the diagrams i have either.

As the body controller is based on the BMW GM5 unit and the E46's did have this option, i picked one up from a scrappy, p/n 8 386 932 there are plenty on ebay ranging from £2 upwards, if you want to have a look click the link http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?trksid ... &_from=R40

There are only 3 connections to be made, pin 1 goes to the BCU (Body Control Unit), pin 2 to 0v and pin 3 to an alarm active switched +12v.

Pin 32 on the bcu plug (C0660) is not populated and you will have to add a connector with a length of wire to go to Pin 1 of the tilt sensor module.

The switched +12v required is taken from pin 15 of the bcu and is a yellow/pink wire, make sure you identify the correct one as there are 2 on the plug, the other is permanent +12v for the RF receiver.

0v can be connected to a black wire or a chassis bolt.

The unit needs to mounted flat and on the E46 it is mounted at the rear on the offside, i mounted mine close to the bcu.

Once the car is alarmed the tilt sensor records its current position and any deviation on the X / Y axis will trigger the alarm, a quick check on the T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) showed that the alarm trigger was due to the "tilt sensor" :mrgreen:

So our cars are all set up for this additional module but was never fitted :confused:

Usual disclaimer, you do this at your own risk!

Posted 09 Aug 2014, 19:26 #1 

Last edited by Phil-T4 on 09 Aug 2014, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

raistlin
Thanks Phil :)

The link doesn't seem to go anywhere useful but as soon as I get one I'll be fitting it
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 09 Aug 2014, 19:58 #2 

Phil-T4
Hopefully link fixed

Posted 09 Aug 2014, 20:38 #3 

raistlin
Thanks again Phil :)

Tilt sensor ordered. A job for next weekend I expect :)
Paul

Posted 09 Aug 2014, 20:46 #4 

Trebor
Link working fine but dont think my glovebox will take any more wires Paul, thanks for the info Phil
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 09 Aug 2014, 21:54 #5 

PaulT
Scuse me for being fik but what is the purpose of it?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 10 Aug 2014, 08:00 #6 

raistlin
It trips the alarm if the car is slightly tilted Paul. Like for example if somebody tried to jack it up.
Paul

Posted 10 Aug 2014, 08:38 #7 

PaulT
Ah, not for use whilst driving - thanks Paul (perhaps the first part of my posting has been proved to be correct).

A little strange then that it was not fitted prior to Project Drive - obviously with the connections there it had been thought of.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 10 Aug 2014, 09:39 #8