Fitting New Maf Sensor & PCV Filter by Arctic

Arctic
(Trader)
I have been having issues with my 2.0 diesel tourer for about 10 months now if i really think back not extra special MPG always feeling slugish but the power was there if i booted it just that nice smootness missing in the low revs and speeds, oh and the heart pulsating feeling of pulling out from junctions and roundabouts it is only over the last 5-7 weeks that the car as been surging ie losing power as though it was going to stop cut out only to kick forward if i pressed the gas pedal a bit more crusing at say 30/50/70 you would still get the stoping dead feeling then surge forward. Asked on the forums and read up abit about this and was given the answer its the Maf so at our recent nano meet on the 11th March i was given the chance to get her on a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) session with Duncan :hail: to chack out any faults and sure enough the maf was reading wrong unpluged it at the nano took her for a drive seemed to pick up and feel better, so new maf needed purchased one from eurocarparts (not cheap but a must have )below is how i fitted the maf and the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) filter at the same time enjoy Arctic.

Fig one remove the engine cover three bolts 8mm
Image1

Fig two once bolts out remove the engine cover and put in a safe place for re-fitting at end of the job
Image2

Fig Three & four remove the two screws holding the air intake pipe
Image3

Image4

Fig Five & six pull air intake pipe from the air filter cover this is easy as the concertina ridges will allow this
Image5

Image6

Fig seven/eight/nine/ten shows the allen bolts which secures the air filter cover which needs to be removed to change the maf and also the PCV filter there are five.

rear right corner looking at it from front of engine
Image7

rear left and back by the maf
Image8

three at the front of the cover
Image9

these bolts are catched so you can not lose them
Image10

Fig eleven remove oil filler cap
Image11

Fig twelve you can now remove the air filter cover and put it safe with the engine cover removed earlier.
Image12

Fig thirteen you now have access to the air filter PCV filter housing and the maf sensor, refit the oil filler cap to stop anything falling into the engine
Image13

Fig fourteen the maf sensor plug and casing
Image14

Fig fifteen/sixteen unplug the maf sensor wire press in both sides and pull up.
Image15

Image16

Fig seventeen/eighteen release the two retaining clips and disconnect from the turbocharger duct which hold it to the maf housing
Image17

Image18

Fig nineteen remove the air filter from its housing.
Image19

Fig twenty/twenty one pull and remove the turbocharger duct from the maf housing and from turbo charger below all push fix and thread out carefully
Image20

Image21

fig twenty two/three/four/five slacken and remove the two torx screws top right and bottom left

top right torx
Image22

use long nose pliers to grip the torx screws as it nears the end coming out so not to lose it in engine below.
Image23

bottom left torx
Image24

Image25

Fig twenty six with torx screws removed you can now also remove the maf with its housing.
Image26

Fig twenty seven mine looks to have been removed before either to clean it or be changed but not in my ownership.
Image27

Fig twenty eight/nine old and new side by side
Image28

Image29

Fig thirty new maf sensor fitted
Image30

Fig thirty one refit the turbocharger duct and hose easiest way to do this is remove the hose from the duct
Image31

Fig thirty two hose removed from the duct so it can be lowered down and on to the turbo charger it is a push fixing
Image32

Fig thirty three shows the two fixing points for the duct hose
Image33

Fig thirty four hose re-fitted also push fix
Image34

Fig Thirty five plug the wiring back on to the maf sensor
Image35

The maf sensor is now fitted and refitting of the air filter and engine cover etc is the reverse of removal unless like me you are going to change the PCV filter at the same time this is shown in the next post section, Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 15 Mar 2012, 02:23 #1 

Last edited by Arctic on 28 Jun 2013, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.

Arctic
(Trader)
Carring on from the fitting of the maf sensor i decided to change the PCV filter at the same time even tough i only changed it 8-10months ago at only £9.99 its worth it in my eyes anyway so here goes.

To replace the PCV with out removing the fuel line and clips first unscrew the three retaing screws then disconnect the injector wiring plugs and move the harness to one side follow the pics below.

Fig one remove the three screws 5mm socket worked for me on the star screws.
Image1

Fig two screws removed from there fixings
Image2

Fig three unplug the injector wiring harness four plus squeeze and pull
Image3

Fig four set harness to one side out of the way
Image4

Fig five/six unscrew the four allen screws so you can remove the PCV filter valve housing
Image5

Image6

Fig seven remove the filter housing by lifting and twisting toward you or the front of the car carefully no rush it should come away nicely without having to unclip any fuel return hoses thus not braking those little T junctions
Image7

Fig eight clean and check the rubber gaskets seals or change for new ones.
Image8

Fig nine old and new filter this is only 8-10months old still soft a wet not hard so in theory did not need changng but hey why not.
Image9

Fig ten clean inside the valve fit new rubber O ring
Image10

Fig eleven fit new filter push home over the O ring and pushdown the plastic holder
Image11

Fig twelve refit the PCV valve by tilting reverse of removal carefully again no rush making sure not to disturb the fuel return hoses.
Image12

Fig thirteen refit the four allen screws corners first then the rear and front
Image13

Fig fourteen replace or fit new air filter again i fitted new one even though it did not need it why not i am fussy.
Image14

Fig fifthteen refit the air filter cover starting at the right rear corner this can be fiddly once started do not screw home as the others have to be lined up.
Image15

Fig sixteen fit the others there are five remeber two at the back corners and three at the front top.
Image16

Fig seventeen refit air intake pipe push fit
Image17

Fig eighteen refit two screws holding the air intake pipe housing
Image18

Fig nineteen/twenty refit the engine cover three bolts tidy up your tools wash hands take the car for a nice drive check out the smoothness and new power
Image19

Image20

Jobs a good one happy motoring again :clap:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 15 Mar 2012, 03:59 #2 

Last edited by Arctic on 29 Jun 2013, 00:03, edited 4 times in total.

carlpenn
Nice little "How To" there mate, I am doing mine this afternoon, along with an Oil change and Air filter. Jut sspent a fortune on some new tools as well, so hoping all goes smoothly :D
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 01 Apr 2012, 10:20 #3 

Arctic
(Trader)
HI Carl
Hope the oil change and air filter went ok donr forget if you ever need any help gives a shout Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 01 Apr 2012, 21:57 #4 

carlpenn
Arctic wrote:HI Carl
Hope the oil change and air filter went ok donr forget if you ever need any help gives a shout Arctic.

I may call upon you for that Fan change when I order one from Jules - Not looking forward to it to be honest :p Especially after the palava I went through yesterday with the Headlights :D
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 02 Apr 2012, 07:29 #5 

PuffinBIlly
Had the dreaded, nothing until 2,000 rpm, then everything all at once, on my ZT CDi. All evidence pointing to faulty MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor), decided I had nothing to lose by trying to clean it. Simply removed air filter element and sprayed Servisol Switch clean into to the MAF from the air filter box. Waited 5 mins, refitted air filter element, started up and ran for a few mins, blipping the throttle to suck residue away, repeated procedure for good measure, and took for test drive. Wow! Like a new car, smooth power delivery throughout the rev range. SwitchClean is only £4 a can, a new MAF is around £150.

It would seem, that contrary to what many maintain, it's not the electronic components in the MAF that break down, it's just a dirty sensor wire/strip.

Posted 22 Jun 2014, 18:30 #6 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Pete.
It works for some and luck is on your side by coincidence have a guess what I was doing a few days ago ;) with a couple I had in the shed yet to test them, i took the centre out of mine and sprayed them and fitted new securing screws at the same time. Arctic

Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 23 Jun 2014, 01:23 #7