Modified Handbrake Compensator Fitting (OBOSLETE) by Arctic (Page 1 of 4)

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi
Today i will be fitting my modified handbrake compensator hoping that in the future that the handbrake will always be efficent on three clicks.

Top bar bent down and welded to stop the stretch which makes the handbrake troublesome. Fig 1

Image1
NO LONGER USED SUPERCEEDED BY THE ONE BELOW

Close up of the weld Fig 2
Image2
NOT USED ANYMORE BELOW IS THE UPRATED ONE

Photo of the length of the two compensators together Figs 3/4
Image3

A new compensator as a gap of 3mm between the front single compensator and the rear two cable compensator.
Image4

Below are some photos i took from Carl's car after visiting him yesterday evening please note the enlarged gap betweem the two compensators which having stretched is now treble at 9mm thus making the hand brake not as efficnt as it should be. Figs 5-12

compensator plate being removed to gain access to the item in question. Fig 5
Image5

Now the plates removed we can see the gap quite easy and how the U bend pin as stretched. Fig 6
Image6

A closer photo of the gap note the compensator is a floating system from front cable to rear cables. Fig 7
Image7

In this photo you can see the adjuster nut on the handbrake this sometimes as been adjusted to its full stop and over the recommended 25mm (also an earth which if removing the carpet from the car can easly get broken so care must be taken if doing so.)Fig 8
Image8

A full view of the handbrake Fig 9
Image9

View from above of the compensator note how the rear cables are not the same length, and how the compensator allows for this because it can swivel in all directions up down and left to right. Fig 10
Image10

Again in this photo you can see the twist in the rear compensator, this will be because the shoes wear at different degrees from wheel to wheel but again note that gap which as to be taken up at the front of the handbrake by the nut adjuster.Fig 11
Image11

Cover plate replaced i have also added a video of the handbrake in action after Fig 12
Image12

http://youtu.be/pqNtnf5BMxo

This is part of a accumulation of lots of different people trying to help our handbrakes become more efficent, i am therefore not trying in anyway to take full credit for this good work but merely adding what help i have contributed thus so far ie photo's and my version of the welded compensator. (NOW OBSOLETE)

Once i have fitted the modified compensator i will add to this thread as i am trying to fit it with out removing the center console or the rear seat.Arctic

***************WARNING PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW THIS HOW TO.IT IS NOW OBSOLETE****************
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 03 Aug 2011, 02:36 #1 

Last edited by Arctic on 11 Jul 2013, 23:29, edited 3 times in total.

takestock
Absolute top quality work there, thanks also to Carl for letting you use his car as the subject matter
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 03 Aug 2011, 07:33 #2 

kandyman
Nice work and very clear pictures.

I would be interested in your next how to as to how to fit this without removing half the car :)

Posted 03 Aug 2011, 12:37 #3 

takestock
he's gonna put a zipper in the carpet just behind the rear console ;) :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 03 Aug 2011, 16:03 #4 

JohnDotCom
Fortunately mine still holds fully on 3 clicks(Have fitted new shoes though), but being an Auto not quite so important unless your MOT station checks them properly.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 03 Aug 2011, 16:14 #5 

Arctic
(Trader)
Yesterday i managed to make sometime to get over to use Carl's to use his car to test out the modified compensator,a new compensator it worked well and i am sure this is going to solve the dubious handbrake query we all seem to suffer from one time or another, i noted also the cables do not stretch only the compensator bar.

Note the used and stretched compensator above the modified one how it as opened up Fig 1
Image1

Adjusted nut to 25mm as it should be Fig 2
Image2

This photo shows all three compensators modified fitted above from left used compensator again note that gap and a new un-modified one which as the 3mm gap Fig 3
Image3

This time we have the un-modified compensator fitted and the others above still note that gap which on a new one is 3mm on a used and stretched one becomes 8mm on this subject but could be more on others Fig 4
Image4
Both the modified compensator and the new one felt more tight and held on three clicks but i suspect after a time only the modified one would remain like this as the new one (un-modified) would eventually stretch and again take up that adjustment on the threaded handbrake.

The next photos show the compensators off the car and how when held you can see how the stretched one will fold over on it's self loose, as to the other two un-modified and modified stay on the bend this is because of the stretch making the 3mm gap become 8mm + maybe in some cases. Figs 5/6/7
Image5

Image6

Image7

Below i have showed the measurement of the gap in all pics more so in the last two pics. Figs 8/9/10
Image8

Image9

Image10
I hope to post up some video's of the modified compensator working and the new un-modified compensator later today or this evening. Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 06 Aug 2011, 11:20 #6 

Last edited by Arctic on 06 Aug 2011, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

raistlin
So are you going to offer this service at nano-meets Steve? If so, can I be first on the list please? :D
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 06 Aug 2011, 13:00 #7 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Paul.
I have at the moment only managed to get my own new one welded as i am not a welder if this could be done at nano i would more than willing give it a go, i fitted mine today and you can tell the difference right away even with out touching the wheel adjusters. will be posting asap more info to be honest Paul i doubt people would want to do this mod the way i have done it i will reveil shortly Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 06 Aug 2011, 20:47 #8 

Last edited by Arctic on 06 Aug 2011, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan
I like the look of the mod, but think there's another thing that could help. We can discuss more at the nano, but modifying them might be more straightforward, and maybe even stronger, by adding a small strip of steel between the two parts, rather than bedning the rod.

Posted 06 Aug 2011, 21:17 #9 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Duncan will do did put up this as a begining suggestion,

But it was found that the weld which made it a link to be the best way to go but if you have another idea i am always willing to learn will try and get the ones i have now welded but will leave one so we can make notes cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 06 Aug 2011, 23:18 #10 

Duncan
With the plate / link the way it is it won't add much strength, it will tend to bend.

I was thinking of turning it 90 degrees, and just using rectangular strip, say 4mm by 10mm. The 4mm edge would be against the round head and against the bottom of the rod. I'll do a sketch later to show what I mean.

Posted 07 Aug 2011, 08:31 #11 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi
For those interested i fitted my modified compensator now just take a look at this how from a new one to one stretched 8mm and mine which is 14mm and was holding on 7 notches on the handbrake i will post up more detail asap but the new modified is holding on 3 and on 4 a tank would struggle to move it and i have not yet messed with the shoe adjuster, some more food for thought maybe
Image1

New un-modified 3mm gap Fig 2
Image2

Used from Carl's car 8mm gap Fig 3
Image3

Mine which i took out today 14mm gap Fig 4
Image4

It looks like this system would still hold the car even if the handbrake was pulled up verticle but just get weaker to what we expect our handbrakes to hold on 3/4 notches.

This photo shows a little better how the compensators differ after use and stretching Fig 5
Image5

I may have found a way of fitting the compensator with out removing the console and rear seat & then bending back the carpet but not all may like to do this, while doing it i did think of a bit better way but have to test it yet. I will post up photos asap, i am just sorting out stuff i need for the final refitting.

well fitted the modified compensator in double quick time 20mins adjuster nut at 25mm did not have to move the kurled nut in the back wheels holds on 3 notches and on four which i struggle to pull it up, a tank would not move the car on 4 notches, fast easy mod in my opinion,

Bend bar weld it job done then fit it,(remember this was a new compensator)
Image1

Image2

Should be reporting back later today early evening with the full details of how i fitted it not for the faint hearted ;) you may well be :shock: and even think i am a fool but hey someone as to be the trail blazier :lol: :lol:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 09 Aug 2011, 01:14 #12 

Arctic
(Trader)
The video i promised earlier on in this post of the modified compensator at work you will find also a new one shown working hope it interesting for you as it was me,i am nearing the end of my journey on this now so must find something else to keep me going :roll: i do hear on the grape vine though someone might have something for me to do :confused:
http://youtu.be/kHy6otDIjHU

The modified compensator working.
http://youtu.be/A_iljrZfbws
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 09 Aug 2011, 02:44 #13 

kandyman
Nice work sir :)

Still interested to know/see how you fitted it without removing the center conceal and carpet but I fear that cutting the cutting the carpet is a but to much for me as owning a LWB the carpet is a bit hard to come across if I mucked it up.

Posted 09 Aug 2011, 09:02 #14 

Arctic
(Trader)
***************WARNING PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW THIS HOW TO FIT IT IS NOW OBSOLETE****************

Regarding the compensator mod i had done this is how i fitted it first i removed the rear console section which holds the rear ashtray and the air duct.

Fig 1
Image1

Once removed i then cut the carpet which may sound drastic but i was willing to do this rather than take out the front console, radio etc and the rear seat etc.Fig 2
Image2

This enabled me to get to all the screws which holds the plate which covers the compensator. Figs 3/4
Image3

Image4

With the three screws removed you are able to slide back the covering plate giving you access to the compensator which needs to be changed Figs 5/6
Image5

Image6

Now you have access to the compensator remove the black clip which keeps in the handbrake front cable.Fig7
Image7

Next undo the nut on the handbrake which is found under the handbrake gaiter to the end of it's thread Fig 8/9
Image8

you will need a long reach socket or ring socket
Image9

once you have undone the nut to end of the thread you will be able to remove the handbrake front cable through the open back of the console Fig 10
Image10

This will then allow you to remove the two rear cables on the compensator. Fig 11
Image11

Re-fitting the compensator is the reverse of the above. Figs 12/13/14
Image12

Image13

Image14

This now leaves me to take up the slack on the front handbrake cable by adjusting the nut to its 25mm on the thread Figs 15/16
Image15

Image16

All i have to do now is close the cut carpet Fig 17
Image17
How i achieved this will be in my next post Arctic

***************WARNING PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW THIS HOW TO FIT IT IS NOW OBSOLETE****************
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 12 Aug 2011, 13:39 #15 

Last edited by Arctic on 11 Jul 2013, 01:41, edited 2 times in total.

kandyman
Looking good,

Watching for your next update :)

Posted 12 Aug 2011, 17:27 #16 

Arctic
(Trader)
Having fitted the new modified handbrake compensator to my car i had decided to cut the carpet instead of taking out the center console unpluging all the wires that lead to the radio,AC and so on, thats with out having to take out the rear seat c pillar rims etc in order to lift the carpet to get to the bolts that secured the steel plate over the compensator to uncouple the rear cables This is also the bracket that the rear of the centre console fastens to now i had to close this as good as i could or make something to cover this cut below is how i went about this, i know this may not be very bodys cup of tea but i am satisfied with the outcome well i have to be now :).

As you can see i need to close this cut in the carpet Fig 1
Image1

At first i thought i would try velcro but then thought this is not really going to close the cut and could be caught if someone put there foot on or over the carpet. so i decided to use stikatak a superspray adhesive for carpets etc,Figs 2/3
Image2

Image3

Once stuck down i also decided i would make sure of the closing by stitching the seam together with some fishing line,Figs 4/5
Image4

Image5
I also toyed with this rear console cut back to fit on top but decided against it.Fig 6/7
Image6

Image7

so the final outcome is as below Figs 8/9
Image8

Image9

Now while i was stitching the cut up another way to cut the carpet cam to which i wished i had thought about before i cut mine this was as follows.

Cut along this black line in Fig 10 this wouls then allow you to peel back the carpet and when it needs to be put only carpet adhesive would be needed as it is not on the bend where i cut mine.
Image10

Figs 11/12 show the measurements from the rear of the console down to the screws on the compensator plate.
Image11

Image12

I doubt anyone will be wanting to do this as i have but if you do i would opt for the option in fig 10 it would be a lot easier in my opinion. the modified compensator works well and expect it to saty on the 3 elusive notches and not have to be adjusted as the shoes should not wear away being seperate from the dics pads and in the drum. Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 12 Aug 2011, 19:52 #17 

JohnDotCom
The MK2 Tourer's don't have that cover over the tunnel at rear its just neat carpet?
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 13 Aug 2011, 11:39 #18 

Arctic
(Trader)
JohnDotCom wrote:The MK2 Tourer's don't have that cover over the tunnel at rear its just neat carpet?

Hi John i am a bit :confused: here as my car is a MK2 tourer which part are you refering to, ? Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 13 Aug 2011, 21:32 #19 

Arctic
(Trader)
JohnDotCom wrote:The MK2 Tourer's don't have that cover over the tunnel at rear its just neat carpet?

Hi John.
Just taken another look at this and relised what you are refering to its the rear ashtray part of the console do you remember i was after one to modify for this reason click here below.
back-section-75-console-asap-t3984.html
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 13 Aug 2011, 23:27 #20