Modified Handbrake Compensator Fitting (OBOSLETE) by Arctic (Page 4 of 4)

bandito
Where can I get this hand brake fix?
I have just bought an MG ZT-T and the handbrake needs attention.
I am near Exeter.
Many thanks!
Great forum, by the way, very informative and helpful.
Cheers,
Bernd.

Posted 23 Jun 2012, 17:52 #61 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Hi and welcome. If you contact member Arctic he should be able to sort you out with the required part.

Posted 23 Jun 2012, 19:00 #62 

Arctic
(Trader)
bandito wrote:Where can I get this hand brake fix?
I have just bought an MG ZT-T and the handbrake needs attention.
I am near Exeter.
Many thanks!
Great forum, by the way, very informative and helpful.
Cheers,
Bernd.

Hi Bernd
if you drop me a pm i will send you an email address so you can contact me on how to obtain the modified handbrake compensator i would how ever need you old one sent back to me also i try to keep a seven day turn round with these compensators as they are in demand well until we all have one because its a one time fit cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 28 Jun 2012, 21:40 #63 

cardiffian
Hi,

Would it be possible to acquire one of your modified handbrake compensators? I would return mine once fitted.

Cheers,

Ian

Posted 03 Nov 2012, 22:39 #64 

Mick
(Site Admin)
cardiffian wrote:Hi,

Would it be possible to acquire one of your modified handbrake compensators? I would return mine once fitted.

Cheers,

Ian

I'll drop Steve a PM on your behalf as he hasn't been on for several days, he'll get an email notification and hopefully will respond shortly.

Posted 03 Nov 2012, 22:42 #65 

Arctic
(Trader)
cardiffian wrote:Hi,

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian.
I have sent you a PM with regards to the compensator, also thank you Mick for informing me of the message nost appreciated cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 05 Nov 2012, 11:11 #66 

marka1869
Hi Arctic
Just to give a big thanks for your info on upgrading the handbrake compensator on a Rover 75, tourer in my case. I've just done mine which I couldn't have done without your words and photos. I did do some things differently which cuts down on the work and I think leaves it stronger? Firstly I cut the curled top off the front piece of the compensator. This allows the s/s shackle - with a bit of persuasion - to go around the center pin without having to remove and then replace said pin. Secondly I elongated the
hole in the rear section of the compensator to allow the circle of the shackle to go through. Thirdly I inserted the shackle pin from below which means the hole part of the pin does not have to be ground off as there is room between it and the floor. I have taken photos as work progressed which I would post here but don't know how to. Hope this makes sense and would appreciate your thoughts. And thanks again to you I now have a handbrake which holds at 3/4 clicks and no cuts in the carpet!
Cheers
Mark

Posted 07 Dec 2012, 14:07 #67 

marka1869
Upgraded compensator before fitting

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 07 Dec 2012, 14:19 #68 

Arctic
(Trader)
marka1869 wrote:Hi Arctic
Just to give a big thanks for your info on upgrading the handbrake compensator on a Rover 75, tourer in my case. I've just done mine which I couldn't have done without your words and photos. I did do some things differently which cuts down on the work and I think leaves it stronger? Firstly I cut the curled top off the front piece of the compensator. This allows the s/s shackle - with a bit of persuasion - to go around the center pin without having to remove and then replace said pin. Secondly I elongated the
hole in the rear section of the compensator to allow the circle of the shackle to go through. Thirdly I inserted the shackle pin from below which means the hole part of the pin does not have to be ground off as there is room between it and the floor. I have taken photos as work progressed which I would post here but don't know how to. Hope this makes sense and would appreciate your thoughts. And thanks again to you I now have a handbrake which holds at 3/4 clicks and no cuts in the carpet!
Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark.
I would be a bit worried fixing and modifying the compensator like that as now the shackle can move upwards which its not meant to do which can add stress to the rear cable as they will be pulling at a funny angle i would also say the front of the compensator is now weaker as the bend as been cut away, also i note the two pronged U eyelets do not hold either side of the top bar on the shackle thus it will pull to one side if any one of the cables are longer than the other due to shoe wear, as with the elongated hole at rear that is as normal only way the eyelet of the shackle will go through also i note that you have at least 4mm gap already from the start of the shackle what size shackle did you use as maximum should be 45mm inside length to give the 1mm gap, but it wont hurt to try it but i will be sticking with my tried and tested method and believe me i have tried loads over the last year cheers Arctic.
IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/2l9ntpd.jpg[/IMG]

note from this pic that the first compensator the wrong sized shackle as been used so no movement middle one is a new one and mine on the end right

PS My last day of posting out a stainless Steel modified compensator is 12th December then it wil be in the new year.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 09 Dec 2012, 14:44 #69 

Last edited by Arctic on 07 Mar 2013, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

Arctic
(Trader)
Best wishes to all for 2013 hope we all have a good one started mine off productively managed to get some of the Stainless steel handbrake compensators ready and will post out the four ordered in the Morning.

As always if you need one drop me a PM and i will forward the details through my email address.

Still have a few outstanding from last year i will send an email to those whom still need to return as a reminder just incase the festive spirit made you forget cheers Arctic.

Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 02 Jan 2013, 21:59 #70