HK system and new Chinese unit by Stu C

Stu C
Hi guys, wondering if i can have somehelp pleasew with replacing my current hi-line system please?. Not sure if it makes a difference, but it's got the Harmon Kardon set up and well, now my sat nav drive has died (after eating my battery a day before holiday!) going to upgrade.

But, before i go spending my readies on a nice unit can someone explain these things for me please?

There are ISO connectors behind the ciggy lighter assembly as i've got my Rover bluetooth plugged into it, so...

Buying a chinese double din, will the steering wheel controls work? I also have spotted a blue/green/yellow connector block floating around behind the dash with a single wire going to it. Would this be anything to do with the stereo?

And with the ISO connectors, is it literally the BMW loom that plugs into this, thus disconnecting it isolates all the sub/amp system, and will speakers work ok without it all?

Many thanks,

Stu

Posted 24 Sep 2011, 15:31 #1 

Duncan
The blue green yellow is a 20 way ISO. I can't remember which wire is in, I think it depends on the age of the car.

Also, the rest of the setup depends on the age of the car. On earlier cars, the car has a BMW connector. Later on this is replaced with ISO. There are various adpaotor looms available depending on what is fitted.

With a hiline setup, I wouldn't expect to see any ISO at all on an earlier car, so it suggests your car has ISO. The hiline and HK loom probably plugs into this, so you could disconnect the whole thing, plug into the ISO and it should work. However without significant exploration and pictures I'm rather working in the dark, so don't rely on this.

Of course if you do that, the speakers will be powered by the new radio, but you won't be using the HK amp or the subwoofer, so expect some reduction in sound.

Posted 24 Sep 2011, 16:15 #2 

Stu C
Ah many thanks for the reply Duncan. Been searching my files and some photos i took from previously installing my Rover bluetooth. Seems i told prky pies with the rogue connector wiring, there are two lol!

Have no idea what this connector is?

and then the iso's...

Posted 24 Sep 2011, 18:35 #3 

Duncan
From the colours I think the two wires house the remote from the steering wheel.

The 10 way contains amongst other things the kbus (White red yellow) and green brown which is either reverse or the speed signal from the ABS (Antilock Braking System), and the remotes again.

Its all stereo stuff though....

Posted 24 Sep 2011, 20:24 #4 

Stu C
Cool cool, looks like unit will fit then :) - Really should have mentioned mines a 2004 ZT260 D'oh! Best start saving pennies for the unit before heading off to Sweden next year! Killed me only having 12 cds across to catridges of music for my trip to Croatia and Eastern Europe fornight ago XD

Posted 24 Sep 2011, 22:01 #5 

JohnDotCom
Make sure you get technical specs of Chinese units, the sound amplifier on some is crap, doesn't even reach the old DIN 45-500 standard. Which is basically the frequency range +/- 3db and RMS output.
If you are happy on hearing a unit with your selected speakers then fine.
Seen a few disappointed people with these, that's the only reason for my post.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 24 Sep 2011, 22:54 #6 

Stu C
Really John? Glad you said as i thought the sound quality would all be the same :( Guess i'll have to catch someone with a unit fitted to see or rather hear what they sound like.

On with the research i guess! - More 70/30 in favour of a Kenwood or such like at the mo

Posted 25 Sep 2011, 09:09 #7 

Stu C
Minds been made up, after seeing the RDS function as some random green text across the frequency. i'll be going for a Pioneer unit i've seen.

This one..

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-avh3300bt.html

Looking at the connection leads, i assume these would be the correct ones, given my car (2004 year) has the ISO connectors?

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/product.asp?pro ... =&section=

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/product.asp?pro ... =&section=

Posted 25 Sep 2011, 17:10 #8