ICE & Navigation System by £brit£

£brit£
Installing a Kooletron system to replace my CD 80 radio in my 75 Tourer. The slot will have to be increased from 1 to 2 DIN. Can you advise as to the depth of the slot (or the depth of the CD 80)? The new unit is 7 inches. Thanks.

Posted 12 Mar 2015, 12:21 #1 

Trebor
Sounds like you will need a double din facia to replace your single din one ( unless you are planning to make one ? ) search on e bay for Rover 75 double din facia such as the one below but you don't need to pay more than £20 for one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-ster ... 1e72c4913a
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 12 Mar 2015, 15:18 #2 

£brit£
Thanks Rob for your reply.
There's room for the double din - but not sure if there is sufficient depth for the new unit (7").
Was hoping someone would know, in case when I've taken the CD80 out it won't fit.

Posted 12 Mar 2015, 16:35 #3 

raistlin
I had to cut the reinforcing bar at the back of the void to get my original Pioneer DD to fit properly, if that helps?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 12 Mar 2015, 17:36 #4 

Trebor
Sorry I should learn to read properly, you are asking about the depth and not the opening !

In that case 7 inches will be fine but as Paul says it might mean you need to take some of the back bar out to make it fit, but not always, the unit below fit fine without removing that back bar and so did my Xtrons unit which is a depth of 169mm, or just under 7 inches so you should be fine

Below are some pictures of a fit I did with Devilish at a meet in Doncaster for another owner, we didnt have to take out the back bar but did have to build a platform to take the weight of the unit as most have to do if using the same type of units as they are heavy. On this occasion we also had to cut the top of the double din facia too as the unit was too big but when the eyebrow is fitted you cannot see it and in the end it becomes a tidy fit, plus you can also buy walnut covers for the facias if you want to match it with the rest of the central dash.

the silver metal bar on this picture is the oem one that can be removed if you have too, bit if not it can be used to bolt on the support bracket

had to cut the top off the double din facia

Of course you can always buy one of the units that were fitted in the Chinese equivalent MG7 and which is plug and play, depends on your budget thay are around £300, but no facia to buy and no support bracket to make, so its an option.
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 12 Mar 2015, 18:56 #5 

£brit£
Thanks Rob - that answers the question - yes I've bought the Chinese unit you suggest - around £300. But it seems good value - will let you know bow I get on - thanks again.

Posted 16 Mar 2015, 11:22 #6 

Trebor
no probs, its a doddle to fit one of them !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 16 Mar 2015, 22:09 #7 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Message for £brit£
As you can see your user name has been screwed when we moved servers after the catastrophic demise of the old server. I cannot access your account to change it back, the database tells me you don't exist. Please will you re-register. I'm not sure you will be able to use your chosen username again but worth trying.

Posted 24 Mar 2015, 12:34 #8