Modified Handbrake Compensator Fitting (OBOSLETE) by Arctic (Page 2 of 4)

JohnDotCom
All now becomes clear. Thanks. ;)
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 14 Aug 2011, 12:38 #21 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Members.
I managed to source a stainless steel shackle with just enough inside length to fit into the compensator this could well be the best it is going to get i have been thinking along with other members, of every which way to do this from the one i bent round and had welded which is now on my car to this one i managed to put together today after taking my old one apart which and stretched by 14mm.

After some fettleling drilling and grinding i think i may have come up with the best this mod is going to get as far as stretching the compensator bar is invloved replaced the U bend bar with a stainless steel one this could not bend or distort surely anyways here are the pics below.

First i ground down the pin and tapped it out then cut of the old flatened end of compensator bar so it could be removed then i set about grinding doen the one end of the shackle so it would fit through the compensator i had to drill the hole to help this also.

Note no welding on this compensator Fig 1
Image1

I center punched the pin then cross punched it making it tight once again Fig 2
Image2

The top of the new stainless steel rod the pin would need to be ground down Fig 3
Image3

In this photo you can see from above the 3mm gap which is needed as on a new compensator. Fig 4
Image4

Note how the end of the shackle as be ground down to fit through the rear part of the compensator which the two cables fit Fig 5
Image5

Now the top of the shackle pin as be ground down to make it nice and tidy also to fit under the fixing plate Fig 6
Image6

This last photo shows once the pin and been tightened i have punched the thread open so it can not work loose Fig 7
Image7
Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 19 Aug 2011, 14:43 #22 

Arctic
(Trader)
The handbrake saga goes on :lol: thought there would have been more interest in this which as plagued our cars for so long :confused:

The stainless steel shackles i ordered came today i had to pop out and once i got back i decided to grind a few down hoping i can get some compensators from the scrap yards if i have time to get there but if anyone on the site is breaking or knows of someone breaking a 75 and would like to donate said compensators i will willing take them and put them together for the site members. Fig1
Image1

I ground down four one i used for a compensator i already had and three waiting in the wings so to speak this is the top part once the bolt as been tightened upFig 2.
Image2

The two i have now done the one on the left was my prototype first one i think i could do one of these in about 15mins Fig 3
Image3

This is the part that needs to be ground down to fit through the rear compensator which hold the two cables the hole also needs to be enlarged a little Fig4
Image4

The three in waiting so remember any spare compensators drop me a PM and i will take then from you Fig5
Image5
Arctic

Vids

http://youtu.be/MEMyKvWNn44

http://youtu.be/dpYJHnDTxv0
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 24 Aug 2011, 00:55 #23 

MrB
Arctic do you think these will be stronger than the welded new ones?

I assume you wish to sell them with the warn compensator coming back to you once yours has been fitted? If so, for how much?

Cheers
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 25 Aug 2011, 01:54 #24 

Arctic
(Trader)
MrB wrote:Arctic do you think these will be stronger than the welded new ones?

I assume you wish to sell them with the warn compensator coming back to you once yours has been fitted? If so, for how much?

Cheers

HI Chris.
yes i think these will be stronger and because they are stainless steel these can not stretch or bend as the one in the pic below that was sent to me today by Suffolkboy (Phil) both his and mine bent in the same place and had a gap of 14mm.
once fitted and the adujusment done to the kurled nut on each wheels and the 25mm on the handbrake threaded nut i can not see there being no more adjusment needed in the furture time will tell of cause.

I am aiming to do these as an exchange that is why i am trying to get together a few compensators so once one is sent to me i can return it the next day of cause i understand that some people will need their car for everyday duties work and such so taking the handbreak compenstor off is a no no.

it costs £2.04 each way for posting and £1.80 for the shackle in total £5.88 little cost in my mind to have an handbreak which is not going to give you trouble every 6-12 months and thinking is this going to pass the MOT have done three up to date i can churn these out at about 15-20mins each one shame i do not have ten or so to get going. But will be trying to make a trip to some scrap yards early next week. Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 25 Aug 2011, 20:01 #25 

Arctic
(Trader)
Managed to video the stainlees steel compensator mod in action at Carl today on his car which is being broken due to over heating some nice parts to be had on this car too!!! works just fine and once adjusted with the cobination of each rear wheel and you have acchived the 3/4 click i see no reason why it should stay like that and pass future MOT's with ease Arctic.
http://youtu.be/4UL28tuNVI8
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 27 Aug 2011, 19:15 #26 

takestock
Missed a word out of your explanation on the Vid Steve.

This is the Arctic stainless steel compensator which is modified with the stainless steel shackle and once adjusted at both rear wheels and at the handbreak should not need doing again and should pass every MOT with worry, thanks for looking subscribe to my channel and see more good ideas.

great work never the less matey :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 27 Aug 2011, 22:17 #27 

Arctic
(Trader)
takestock wrote:Missed a word out of your explanation on the Vid Steve.

This is the Arctic stainless steel compensator which is modified with the stainless steel shackle and once adjusted at both rear wheels and at the handbreak should not need doing again and should pass every MOT with worry, thanks for looking subscribe to my channel and see more good ideas.

great work never the less matey :)

Cheers Dave.
amended just wished i could get hold of some extra used compensators must try and get to the scrap yards next week :thumbsup:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 27 Aug 2011, 23:01 #28 

takestock
Just an update on this, It is possible to change the compensator by removing the back section of the centre console and lifting the carpet from the back :D. I had a chat with Russ about it at the Yorkshire meet recently and as a result he has managed to do it :) :). To be fair the side screws on the cover plate were a pain but for those who don't want to remove the whole of the console or cut the carpet it is an alternative :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 01 Sep 2011, 06:06 #29 

mel dawson
Hi Dave,
Thats how i done mine,Was a bit of a pain but better than taking consule out.

Cheers Mel.

Posted 01 Sep 2011, 07:16 #30 

Arctic
(Trader)
HI Dave/Mel
Great news did either of you take any pics :thumbsup: if so upload them please now we know this can be done all you need is the compensator mod with the stainless steel shackle ;) and the jobs a good one, i have 20 shackles at the moment so if anyone wants this doing send me your old compensator £1.96 first class same back and £2.20 for the shackle plus P&P electric used etc PM for all details Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 02 Sep 2011, 13:29 #31 

Last edited by Arctic on 11 Nov 2011, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.

mel dawson
Hi,
No sorry did not take photos.

Thanks Mel.

Posted 02 Sep 2011, 15:20 #32 

BADLAD
Hi arctic,
Is this mod good for the mg zt-t handbrake too? My handbrake is a bit 'weak' and definitely comes up more than 3 clicks. I would definitely be interested in doing the mod if it's suitable. If you would be willing to show me what needs to be done, we can take photos as we go and try to do it by lifting the carpet as the lads suggest.
We met at the last nano if you remember, I come from Stourbridge and could either pop over on a day off, or it may be an ideal time at the nano on the 16-17 th or whatever...
Cheers!

Ian

Posted 03 Sep 2011, 09:08 #33 

Arctic
(Trader)
HI Ian
Of cause i remember you we talked about your fan etc, i would need your old one first to modify it unless i can get a few together for the meet have a few enroute hopefully but if you get a day off before the meet let me know cheers Arctic

PS i am at home today after 1.30pm if thats any good to you if so PM me your email address and i will send you my home address, Steve
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 03 Sep 2011, 09:21 #34 

Arctic
(Trader)
Handbrake modified compensator update this is now a possible nano fix should take about an hour with two people and no carpet cutting, i have three ready and already spoken for depending on how the saturday goes it maybe possible to get three more done on the sunday but as of now i can not promise this is only because i need to modifiy the ones from saturday,cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 12 Sep 2011, 01:56 #35 

kandyman
Be interested to see one of your great "How To's" on how you can change this without cutting the carpet.

Posted 13 Sep 2011, 17:16 #36 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Andy
I done the MG ZT like above with photos will try and get them up or maybe do one at the meet the weekend cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 14 Sep 2011, 01:07 #37 

Bernard
Any chance that we could do one of mine at the meet on Sunday do you think? :hail:
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 14 Sep 2011, 08:27 #38 

Arctic
(Trader)
Bernard wrote:Any chance that we could do one of mine at the meet on Sunday do you think? :hail:

Hi Bernard
I should say that will be ok as if the others go ahead with theres on the saturday i can make them back up sunday morning in quick time as i can now modify them in about 7-10 mins all the best Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 14 Sep 2011, 08:41 #39 

Bernard
That's great. I'm assuming that the V8 has the same arrangement as it suffers from excess travel more than the V6.
We will soon find out, I guess.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 14 Sep 2011, 09:00 #40