The new Mini... BIGGER and better by raistlin

raistlin
Is it maybe just me that thinks the subject line, a headline in the Telegraph today, is wrong in principle?

As I recall, the whole raison d'etre of the Mini was for it to be small. The present offering has a rear aspect that makes Dawn French look positively anorexic and they say it is going to get BIGGER?

I've already had several wry smiles at people driving the present Mini who baulk at going through gaps that VeeKay gets through with ease.

I imagine the next incarnation is likely to require an HGV license to drive it.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 18 Nov 2013, 20:09 #1 

Borg Warner
Pulled up next to one in my Freelander recently and the damn thing was almost as big. Should call it a Maxi instead.

Are the PAS pumps still rubbish?

Gary M.

Posted 18 Nov 2013, 20:16 #2 

Trebor
It had to get bigger than the original as i am sure I remember Duncan telling me that the old design woudnt get past todays health and safety regs size wise, but i agree its got much much bigger, it seems to be very popular though and BMW knew what they were doing when they retained production
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 18 Nov 2013, 20:23 #3 

Jürgen
I really don't know what you guys are talking about. :confused:
It's still a small car compared to the 2017 version. :mrgreen:
:gmc:

Posted 18 Nov 2013, 20:24 #4 

Duncan
Rob, yes you are right. It was to do with the space left for the occupants in a crash. They have to have a certain amount of space left to stay alive. Allegedly the original Mini didn't have enough space for the occupants to remain alive.

Before you crash it.

Posted 18 Nov 2013, 20:47 #5 

Bolin
Current model does seem a lot bigger than the new FIAT 500 or original Ford Ka.

'Maxi'.... there's heritage there :lol:

Posted 19 Nov 2013, 00:15 #6 

Dave
IIRC correctly, Practical Classics did a short article where they assembled a card-board mock up of the original Mini inside the cabin space of a new Mini! :shock:

As regards the name, originally I think it was supposed to allude to the small form factor, but sadly now it's just a brand thing :( Oh, and isn't it "MINI" now rather than the "Mini" it was originally?

Posted 20 Nov 2013, 14:35 #7 

Borg Warner
Dave wrote:IIRC correctly, Practical Classics did a short article where they assembled a card-board mock up of the original Mini inside the cabin space of a new Mini! :shock:

As regards the name, originally I think it was supposed to allude to the small form factor, but sadly now it's just a brand thing :( Oh, and isn't it "MINI" now rather than the "Mini" it was originally?

I think it's BINI.

Gary M.

Posted 20 Nov 2013, 18:41 #8