Terrible squealing front brakes, replacement tips by chrislloydie

chrislloydie
I had front discs and pads fitted about 9 months ago, as far as I know they are just the cheapest pads available as I needed it done as cheaply as possible. They were performing okay however now they emit a high pitch squeal and screech whenever I brake at slowish speeds. They still perform fine but its soooo embarrassing when in slow moving traffic.

So I'm thinking about replacing the pads with something a little better. Any suggestions, obviously price is still an issue so any brands that work well but won't break the bank?

Also, I really wanna learn how to change the pads myself but am a bit worried as never attempted it before so looking for anyone how wouldn't mind assisting me and showing me the ropes.

Cheers fellas.

Chris

Posted 10 Jul 2010, 20:22 #1 

Bernard
Try a good hard emergency stop before going to any expense. It sometimes stops squealing brakes.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 10 Jul 2010, 20:33 #2 

chrislloydie
I've tried brake cleaner and tried stopping hard but the squeal is still there. It only happens though once the brakes are warm. It doesn't happen the first few uses and doesn't happen when stopping from higher speeds, just when the car slows down or when in slow moving traffic.

Posted 10 Jul 2010, 20:38 #3 

MrB
Some brakes have a built in squeal for when they are wearing low - have you checked how warn they are?
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 10 Jul 2010, 22:26 #4 

chrislloydie
Not much wear, only been on 9 months and done about 9k miles. I think its just cos they are cheap pads. Seems only to have started since the hot weather.

Posted 10 Jul 2010, 22:39 #5 

MrB
You could just try putting some copper grease on the back of each pad??

Sometimes cures it.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 11 Jul 2010, 00:09 #6 

chrislloydie
Thanks MrB, got a fellow member gonna help me try the copper grease method this coming week. Hopefully will cure it and will post back results.

Posted 11 Jul 2010, 16:55 #7 

takestock
chrislloydie wrote:Thanks MrB, got a fellow member gonna help me try the copper grease method this coming week. Hopefully will cure it and will post back results.

I too have tried cheap pads, only once ;) worked well enough but no amount of copper grease stopped the squeal. ended up in the bin and purchased OEM for around £30, end of problems :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 11 Jul 2010, 17:38 #8 

Duncan
I'd agree with Dave.

My tourer had non OE fitted when I bought it, and the front brakes became dire. When I replaced them the spring locators were broken they were so badly made.

Replaced them with OE and the performance is chalk and chees to how they were before.

Try Ecarparts as they do a good price for the OE stuff, and have alwys given me great service.

Posted 11 Jul 2010, 18:10 #9 

DeuxGazoles
Well my discs were in a poor state & the rear pads were separating but me being on a pauper's wage I couldn't afford OEM stuff so I made some new pads out of ground up fish bones & glue & filed the rust off the discs & it got it through a test ok :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Narrrrr seriously I bought a full set of Mintex discs & pads off the bay at a cost of £82 or so plus postage not a bad price reeally & Mintex are a quality brand............also these are allegedly dust free or low dust or something, time will tell :roll:
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 19:37 #10 

chrislloydie
Thanks for all the responses. I'm gonna try some copper grease first cos its cheapest option. If that doesn't work I will purchase some Mintex or Ferodo pads and see if it cures the screeeeeeeeeeeeech!

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 20:21 #11 

mark_bonsai
I think brake pads sum up the adage "you get what you pay for".

I've personally used EBC Greenstuff for years with no problem what so ever. In fact a new set went in the other month when I did the big brake conversion.
Re-mapped & Synergy 2 on 9. EGR bypass. De-catted. Pipercross filter & modified inlet. 18" Apex's with 235 Toyo's. ZT190 big brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harmon Kardon speakers & sub. Kenwood DNX7200 double din, amp & Phatbox. Fully chromed front grill.

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 20:22 #12 

chrislloydie
I know they were only cheap but braking wise they work perfectly, no problems whatsoever. It s just the screeching in this hot weather!

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 20:35 #13 

tigerchubs
It may well be the pad/caliper carrier that has a build up of dirt & rust, on the faces where the pad contacts it. This build up causes the pad not to release from the disc and result in screeching when hot. I see it on a regular basis where people install new pads with copper grease on the back of the pads, but don't bother with the carrier. It's usually cured by removing the carrier giving it a good old wire brush / emery cloth clean and a dab of copper grease.

Posted 18 Jul 2010, 14:51 #14