Brakes by JakeWilson

JakeWilson
The brakes on my zt-t diesel need replacing and calipers paiting etc in the next few months, however have seen the rear discs corrode massively due to the outer edge not being used by the pads.

Have heard about brake conversion using either the v6 or bmw 330 system and wondered if anyone on here knew what the gen was the breaking system on these cars and enhancing/replacing.

Thanks

Jake

Posted 25 Jul 2010, 15:23 #1 

DeuxGazoles
Basically you need the bigger front discs & calipers & backplates & the bigger?? vented rear discs & calipers etc. from a 190. The 190 calipers are BMW items as I was looking at them in a scrapyard the other day. As far as I know it's all a straight swap & it should make a reasonable improvement
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 25 Jul 2010, 15:27 #2 

JakeWilson
Thanks for that! So on a shopping list I would just need:

Front and rear calipers
backplates
(New) Discs and pads

And that's it, do they run on the same master cylinder?

Thanks in advance!

Jake

Posted 26 Jul 2010, 16:10 #3 

kandyman
If you can wait a a while before you do any ordering I should be announcing a community deal with ebc brakes direct, might save you some money ;)

Posted 26 Jul 2010, 17:43 #4 

mark_bonsai
I've done a 190 conversion on my diesel. Easy job if you're reasonably adept with the spanners.

As stated further up the thread, you'll need discs, calipers and pads, but you don't need to change the backplates. The rears are the same anyway and the fronts require the hub to be stripped to change them. Not a small job and one that has a number of pit falls, not least being the wheel bearings can fall apart as you try and get the hub out of the knuckle. Also the backplates are no longer available new.
With regards to the rears, if you've already got vented discs, there's nothing to change as they're the same as the 190. I know some diesels have vented, but mine didn't so I had to change the lot.
Re-mapped & Synergy 2 on 9. EGR bypass. De-catted. Pipercross filter & modified inlet. 18" Apex's with 235 Toyo's. ZT190 big brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harmon Kardon speakers & sub. Kenwood DNX7200 double din, amp & Phatbox. Fully chromed front grill.

Posted 26 Jul 2010, 22:25 #5 

kandyman
Just in case you missed it ;)

The guys over at EBC Brakes Direct have offered us a 15% total discount to use on their online shop.

You can read all about it here. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1364

Posted 27 Jul 2010, 21:39 #6 

MrB
Noone seems to have mentioned you need the carriers as well as the calipers. The carriers on your brakes won't fit the larger calipers.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 27 Jul 2010, 22:13 #7 

mark_bonsai
MrB wrote:Noone seems to have mentioned you need the carriers as well as the calipers. The carriers on your brakes won't fit the larger calipers.

Hey you're not wrong! Good job someone's awake :D

I looked at my post and was sure there was something I'd forgotten, but couldn't remember for the life of me what it was.
Re-mapped & Synergy 2 on 9. EGR bypass. De-catted. Pipercross filter & modified inlet. 18" Apex's with 235 Toyo's. ZT190 big brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harmon Kardon speakers & sub. Kenwood DNX7200 double din, amp & Phatbox. Fully chromed front grill.

Posted 27 Jul 2010, 22:45 #8 

DeuxGazoles
Sorry I was classing the carriers as part of the caliper........................I'll go & stand in the corner & think about what I've done :gmc:
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 28 Jul 2010, 18:17 #9 

mark_bonsai
DeuxGazoles wrote:Sorry I was classing the carriers as part of the caliper........................I'll go & stand in the corner & think about what I've done :gmc:

I'l use that excuse too.......see you in the corner :D

Posted 28 Jul 2010, 18:55 #10 

MrB
mark_bonsai wrote:
DeuxGazoles wrote:Sorry I was classing the carriers as part of the caliper........................I'll go & stand in the corner & think about what I've done :gmc:

I'l use that excuse too.......see you in the corner :D

No need for either of you to go in the corner.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 29 Jul 2010, 05:55 #11 

MrB
Jake there are these on eBay

View eBay item 370375841652
View eBay item 370305422135

Complete set front and rear.

However if you have a little more money

View eBay item 270588566752
View eBay item 280516273737

These are nearly new calipers

I was watching them but I know I can't afford anymore mods at the moment.

HTH

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 29 Jul 2010, 06:00 #12