Brakes by Dave

Dave
Argh! We've just spent out on having a fireplace fitted, Gill's MOT and car tax is due on the MX5, the boiler is on the blink and we're trying to get some money together for a last minute short break

Now I've got brake problems....

Last night noticed some scraping on coming to a standstill from the left of the car. Today decided it was the rear, so whipped the wheel off for a butchers. TBH, not sure what I was looking for, but also noticed that the front left tyre was better than the rear left, so decided to swap. After comparing the two brake sets, looks to me like the pads are down to the metal :em: (I thought there were supposed to be indicators for this?)

Anyway, despite the monetary issues outlined above, I realise that I have to get these sorted. Problem is, my lift share mate is on leave this week, and Gill is not able to lend me her car. I can get a lift from someone else Wednesday onwards. Probably a silly question (and I think I know the answer) but would it be OK to use it, or would it be illegal/dangerous/plain daft?

I'll have to walk to work I think. Just the twenty miles.......

(what sort of price can I expect to pay approx? Guessing they need to be done in axle sets?)

Posted 20 Jun 2010, 16:55 #1 

takestock
Hi Dave, the indicators are on the drivers side, one per axle :(

If it is the pads its not really driveable, sorry. You need to know if it is the fronts or rears. you could replace the pads only but the breaking efficiency will be compromised and the pads will wear quicker.

To do it right it's new discs and pads i'm afraid. replace in pairs, fronts or backs
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 20 Jun 2010, 17:39 #2 

Dave
takestock wrote:Hi Dave, the indicators are on the drivers side, one per axle :(

If it is the pads its not really driveable, sorry. You need to know if it is the fronts or rears. you could replace the pads only but the breaking efficiency will be compromised and the pads will wear quicker.

To do it right it's new discs and pads i'm afraid. replace in pairs, fronts or backs

New discs? Really? They look fine..... (I hope they are as discs sound scary expensive!)

Posted 20 Jun 2010, 17:52 #3 

takestock
Dave wrote:
takestock wrote:Hi Dave, the indicators are on the drivers side, one per axle :(

New discs? Really? They look fine..... (I hope they are as discs sound scary expensive!)

If you have caught them very early and they look OK with no deep scores then you should be fine. New discs are not too expensive but always cheaper if you don't have to change them :) If it were me, i would be looking at the discs before replacing, the trouble with giving advice on a forum is you cannot see them, so best to give worst case scenario.
I have just replaced the pads in the past and suffered no problems. Do your self a favour and buy named brand or OEM pads, otherwise they are likely to squeal.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 20 Jun 2010, 18:13 #4 

Dave
Cheers for advice!

TBH, although I am no expert, the discs don't look bad at all - best if I don't drive any more until the pads are done then!

Posted 20 Jun 2010, 18:29 #5 

Ragman
Where in the country are you - may be another owner close by to lend a hand

Posted 20 Jun 2010, 18:39 #6 

Dave
Sunny Lincolnshire

Would be nice, but I need to get it done tomorrow :-(

Posted 20 Jun 2010, 18:50 #7 

Ragman
Yep - that narrows the possibilities somewhat

Posted 20 Jun 2010, 18:55 #8 

MrB
Did the front pads on my Civic yesterday morning. Takes about an hour to just do pads.

Make sure you have all the necessary tools for the job before you start, you don't want to have it all half stripped to have to put it all back together again.

My preference for pads is EBC Green Stuff, but they work better with EBC discs and tend to destroy OEM discs quickly.

Am sure someone here can advise you as to what tools are required.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 20 Jun 2010, 19:11 #9 

Dave
Thanks for the advice

Would really love to do it myself, but I think I may have to shell out some hard earned..... :-(

Posted 20 Jun 2010, 19:30 #10 

Dave
Well, took it to local place yesterday and they told me it needed new pads AND discs both sides.... They must have heard the note of suspicion when they called to tell me this, as they instantly said "we'll show you the old ones if you decide to proceed - they are totally rusted on the back and no use at all"

To be fair, they were.....

All in cost £145 for two x discs, 2 x pad sets and labour, so hopefully not too bad?

On the short drive home, the brakes seemed a little spongy compared to how they were and also the handbrake (which was good before) seems to need a Popeye arm to apply now. Are these observations normal?!

Posted 22 Jun 2010, 06:31 #11 

Ragman
Should not really feel spongy unless they managed to get air in the system when pushing the caliper pistons back - they may need time to bed in some though

Handbrake shouldn't have been affected as it's cable on the rear of the car and you had the front done IIRC

Hope it settles down

Posted 22 Jun 2010, 06:49 #12 

Dave
Sponginess was probably all in my head, as after a good run yesterday, brakes felt fine

Handbrake still feels a bit tight, but then maybe it was loosening off before and I'd just got used to it (ps, it was the rear brakes I had done)

Posted 23 Jun 2010, 06:24 #13