Removal of sooty deposits on gas fire chrome trim ? by Trebor

Trebor
Does anyone know of a product that will remove black sooty deposits from the chrome trim of a gas fire please ?

I have tried a metal polish and also some fine wire wool but so far not made much impression
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 02 Apr 2013, 21:11 #1 

Jumper
Solvol Autosol?

Posted 03 Apr 2013, 10:50 #2 

Alan
I seem to recall an episode of Mythbusters where they used Coca-Cola and tin foil to clean chrome. lol.
As far as serious suggestions go, I would recommend using a cutting compound such as G3 with some wire wool or see if you can get hold of some water based wheel cleaner, I believe Halfords call it custom wheel cleaner. Don't use acid based cleaner on chrome

Posted 03 Apr 2013, 11:06 #3 

kandyman
I would try some white vinegar.

Posted 03 Apr 2013, 11:16 #4 

takestock
Don't know how to get it of but I would be VERY concerned that it has appeared in the first place, definite signs of incomplete combustion and C.O. :(
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 03 Apr 2013, 17:12 #5 

Trebor
It is due a service Dave so guess i will speed it up !

Its an old fire but was serviced about 15 months ago without any problems reported and i do have a c02 alarm nearby

Thanks for the advice
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 03 Apr 2013, 18:20 #6