Double glazing panel removal / refitting by raistlin

raistlin
Hi all,

A question for the double glazing gurus please (if there are any :lol:)

The heat of the sun has melted the adhesive on parts the glazing tape on the windows of our conservatory.

Repair is (just) a matter of removing the glazing unit, cleaning off the old tape residue and putting new tape on then re-fitting the glazing units.

Does anybody know how to remove the glazing units please? I understand that there is some way of removing the beading and then apparently the units just ease out but I'm not about to attack my double glazing without at least a little understanding of how it's done :lol:

Any help would be greatly appreciated and would, it goes without saying, be reciprocated with pleasure.

Cheers.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 21 Jan 2012, 16:52 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
This should help, take the sides out first then top and bottom.

http://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/308015- ... -unit.html

256wtg4.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 21 Jan 2012, 17:00 #2 

takestock
Only ever taken one out, as said the trims on the outside click in an out. On ours the glass was held in place with double sided tape so I also had to run a craft knife around the inside :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 21 Jan 2012, 17:19 #3 

raistlin
Yes, it's that double-sided tape that has suffered from being in the heat Dave.
Paul

Posted 21 Jan 2012, 17:21 #4 

Tourerfogey
Always thought it was pretty stupid that some double glazing has the beads on the outside that 'pop out' so you can remove the glass panel!! My double glazing has the beads on the inside - much more secure.

Posted 21 Jan 2012, 18:12 #5 

Duncan
Tourerfogey wrote:Always thought it was pretty stupid that some double glazing has the beads on the outside that 'pop out' so you can remove the glass panel!! My double glazing has the beads on the inside - much more secure.

That's why the adhesive tape is used. You can remove the beading, but the glass is stuck in place so it doesn't give you access.

Posted 21 Jan 2012, 18:30 #6 

geesmith
Much simpler with a rubber gasket but then the bead needs to be on the inside.
A set of suckers are handy if you prefer your glass with a handle. for suckers

Probably requires an accomplice if you don't utilise the glass suckers.
Make note of (and save) any packing that may be under the glass.
Sometimes two opposing beads are cut square and full length, the other two are then cut with an angle at each end..and fitted last/removed first.

Obviously, you will only stand the glass on something padded (or at least two bits of wood) and rest it back against something padded. It's so hard to uncrack...and the shells never stick back flush.

Posted 22 Jan 2012, 01:22 #7 

Bermudan 75
Where I lived in Salford the locals found that a brick worked very well. :whump:

Posted 22 Jan 2012, 02:12 #8 

geesmith
Do Salford glazers refit the glass after removal?

Posted 22 Jan 2012, 14:18 #9 

raistlin
Continuing with the specifics of this job, I managed to pop out the beads no problem (they are external) so will be doing the job when the glazing tape I've ordered arrives.

Clearly, a satisfactory end result relies upon me being able to remove all trace of the original tape. Can anybody say whether that is a particularly difficult task or whether there is a preferred solvent please? I had thought to use brake and clutch cleaner, which seems to shift almost any gunk.
Paul

Posted 22 Jan 2012, 15:40 #10 

Duncan
There is a specific adhesive remover I prefer. It goes under a few names: sticky stuff remover, label remover and so on. The main ingredients are common though, for the main part being the oil out of orange peel (citrus oil).

This kind of thing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sticky-Stuff- ... 4aa7256d2f

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sticky-Stuff- ... 3cc134d186

I haven't used either of those brands, only RS and CPC own brands but I would think it's pretty much the same.

Interestingly, the first time I ever used this stuff I used a whole can of the RS one, to remove a whole load of sticky tape from a car that had been disguised. A Rover 75, that had previously been used for the early brochures. That Atlantic Blue one, that was a resprayed whie car.....

Posted 22 Jan 2012, 17:35 #11 

raistlin
Ah, but do those give you a high though Duncan? :lol: Brake cleaner does.
Paul

Posted 22 Jan 2012, 17:46 #12