MG6 on fire by Borg Warner

Borg Warner
Oops, Hope the driver got out ok?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8nG0rfNgtQ

Posted 19 Nov 2012, 18:36 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
That looked a bit odd, the front and rear untouched. I wonder whether the interior was deliberately ignited? The firemen didn't seem much concerned about the tank exploding either.

Posted 19 Nov 2012, 18:47 #2 

Duncan
I won't say tanks never explode, but it is rare except in American films where it awlays happens. Most of the bangs heard when a car is burning is the tyres going. Anything internal could have caused that and it could be nothing to do with the car, but something left on charge that started it.

Posted 19 Nov 2012, 18:54 #3 

Borg Warner
Modern house furniture has to be fire resistant, can the same be said for the interior trim of a modern car?

Posted 19 Nov 2012, 18:56 #4 

Borg Warner
Duncan wrote:I won't say tanks never explode, but it is rare except in American films where it awlays happens. Most of the bangs heard when a car is burning is the tyres going. Anything internal could have caused that and it could be nothing to do with the car, but something left on charge that started it.

SAT Nav, mobile phone charger perhaps?

Posted 19 Nov 2012, 18:58 #5 

Tootall
I have shared this on Facebook, i know a few MG6 owners so maybe we will get an answer to what happened.
Ex-Longbridge track monkey.

Posted 19 Nov 2012, 19:18 #6 

Duncan
I'm not sure about European requirements, but American (FMVSS) requirements have flamability rules. I would expect there are also European ones, but since many cars go all over the world, they comply with similar requirements because of FMVSS.

Posted 19 Nov 2012, 19:34 #7 

JakeWilson
I thought they said they'd sorted the overheating issues?! :-D

Posted 19 Nov 2012, 21:06 #8 

MrDoodles
At least it was the right colour, "Burnt Orange!" :mrgreen:

Posted 19 Nov 2012, 21:25 #9 

Tourerfogey
Wonder what was playing on the radio - Kings Of Leon : '(My Mg) Sex is on Fire ', perhaps . . .?

Posted 19 Nov 2012, 22:16 #10