Observations. by raistlin (Page 1 of 2)

raistlin
Number one:- Building trade? Recession?

Asked a local builder to give us a quote. He agreed to turn up on Saturday morning. Never turned up, never called, never answered our calls.

Eventually managed to get him on the phone today and asked why he hadn't turned up on Saturday, thinking disaster must have struck. "To be honest I couldn't be bothered. Not worth the effort unless the job's worth over five grand"

Recession? What recession?

Number two:-

Working on a military establishment, one has regularly to have car passes re-issued. Called in at the passes and permits office today. Second in line behind another chap, with a woman already at the counter who was asking for a temporary ID and car pass.

The counter clerk asked her to step on the red cross and have her ID photo taken. She decided she didn't like it and asked the clerk to take it again.

SIX times this happened with the gormless moo doing her hair, trying different angles, all for a pass to allow her entry to the college for up to four hours.

The chap in front of me said, after displaying remarkable patience, "It's a f***ing pass, not a f***ing portrait.

Anyway, after having managed to find a photo acceptable, the clerk asked her for her vehicle documents, at which point the hand went straight to the mouth and we heard, with a gasp " Oh - My - God, what must you think of me, I've left them in the office.

Is anybody REALLY that stupid?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 19:35 #1 

Zeb
Yes

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 19:52 #2 

scooterchick
You should have seen how many takes it took to get my avvy pic!

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 20:04 #3 

MN190
I work in the food industry and one of the marketers wanted a trip around the factory to see the process. Once she found out no make up, nail polish etc and the chance to don a coloured hairnet complete with a white coat and a pair of wellies she wasn't so keen. She went round at 6:30 in the morning so no-one would see her and she had time to get changed and do full battle paint before anyone in offices would see her.

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 20:18 #4 

Freefromenvy
Builders.Aaarrrgghhhh.
Many don't seem to have any concept of business or of good customer relations.
We have had 3 seperate people come to quote for a bathroom rebuild. Never heard back. I don't bother calling them back to find out why! A friend,who had recommended one was quite upset and said she would ring him. Don't bother,we said " He's not geting any work from us". Another friend, who lives in Liverpool had to resort to getting a London Builder friend to finish her work. Yet my sister, who lives in deepest Sussex found a Diamond Geezer in the small ads. I'm tempted to get him to come up to NW London.

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 20:25 #5 

Zeb
I have done little buildery type jobs for peeps stretching from darkest Lincolnshire, to Wolverhampton, to Plymouth and back again....but I only do it for fun..:D

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 21:51 #6 

Tourerfogey
Zeb wrote:I have done little buildery type jobs for peeps stretching from darkest Lincolnshire, to Wolverhampton, to Plymouth and back again....but I only do it for fun..:D

That's a bloody long wall - how long did it take?

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 22:02 #7 

Zeb
Dunno Basil.....did half an hour's work and the rest has been teabreaks so far...:D

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 22:12 #8 

Dave
Same here with the builders...

We want wall taken down between our living room and a brick built extension put up by the previous owners. Already accessible, but all they did was leave the window lintel in place and chop out below, so it's about five feet wide whereas we'd like it taken back to the walls on each side, making it the full room width. So we need a 15' RSJ or the likes and the walls chopping out

Had two builders in for quotes, both came round, full of high spirits and very "buddy, buddy", but as you might guess, neither got back to us.... :evil:

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 09:07 #9 

Zeb
You and I could do that Dave....easy job...:D

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 09:08 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
If you need a foreman. I have a shovel to lean on and I bring my own flask of tea. ;)

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 09:18 #11 

Zeb
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 09:21 #12 

Dave
Zeb wrote:You and I could do that Dave....easy job...:D

It's tempting! :D

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 09:44 #13 

Dave
Mick wrote:If you need a foreman. I have a shovel to lean on and I bring my own flask of tea. ;)

Perhaps not quite so tempting, but thanks for the offer! :clap:

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 09:45 #14 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I ran my own joinery and building business for 20+ years before taking up Apple computers so if you decide to go ahead and need any advice, you are welcome.

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 10:04 #15 

Dave
Mick wrote:I ran my own joinery and building business for 20+ years before taking up Apple computers so if you decide to go ahead and need any advice, you are welcome.

Now that is more tempting! Cheers Mick!

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 10:22 #16 

scooterchick

is there no end to your talents Carl? ;-)

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 11:47 #17 

Tourerfogey
scooterchick wrote:

Oh God! Please don't ask him that . . .

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 11:51 #18 

Mick
(Site Admin)
scooterchick wrote:

I take it you haven't actually met him? :lol:

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 12:14 #19 

Zeb
I am a jack of all trades and master of none.... and for my next trick I will......get me new shower pump working using only one arm....no, really, I have trapped a nerve in me shoulder / neck! Sniff...:(

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 12:48 #20