Another couple of observations by raistlin (Page 1 of 2)

raistlin
I assumed that a highly respected and experienced BBC news-reader wouldn't let his personal views become apparent whilst reading the news but:-

On the BBC news earlier this morning, a certain news-reader was talking about the recent murder of Tia Sharp and upon completion linked to the next item thus:-
And, in more important news, Mo Farah's gold has guaranteed Britain's third place in the olympic medal table

A personal view? A Freudian slip? or an indication of the value of human life in modern day priorities?

Secondly, immediately following that story, he linked to the weather forecast by saying "Wall to wall sunshine?" to the weather presenter who replied as follows:-

It's a bit more complex than that. There will be some very heavy showers, sufficient to cause disruption today, but thankfully in the Midlands and South Wales

Not quite the way I would have phrased it.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 12 Aug 2012, 10:25 #1 

Bermudan 75
Olympics fatigue....

Posted 12 Aug 2012, 11:08 #2 

Jumper
Hope this isn't hijacking:
To be fair, when aren't We, there does seem to be a tiny problem with the BBC. Newsnight last week had a natter about Help for Heroes with the current spokesperson for that charity (sorry, forget his name), Sir Richard Dannatt lately of senior Army fame, and, sorry again, forget his name, an ex serviceman involved in the rehabilitation and recovery of returning soldiers. There appears to be hurt feelings, better that than in the lower extremities eh, about what charitable donations are spent where. Eddie Mayer, in his usual blunt manner (as opposed to forensic sharpness), allowed a deconstruction of the ethics of the charity together with unequal time for rebuttal from all participants, and the result appeared to be purposely detrimental to it. Just me? I don't think I'm unduly suspicious by nature, well, not entirely.

Posted 12 Aug 2012, 12:05 #3 

MrDoodles
The same Left Wing PC bias will also see Mohamed Farah walk the BBC's "Sports Personality" this year.

Posted 12 Aug 2012, 12:45 #4 

Borg Warner
I believe it was Bill Shankley who once said, "Football isn't about life or death; it's more important." Likewise the the games. A 12 year old is murdered and it's almost dismissed,two soldiers killed in a war in which we shouldn't be involved and barely a mention.

I've enjoyed the games, made me proud and to hear the national anthem being sung by thousands in the various venues. The athletes have mostly been a credit, very humble and very genuine, I'm envious of their achievements. But as to our media; adjectives do not exist as to how I could begin to describe them. The BBC are usually very good, compare them to Sky News. Hopefully a slip. Hopefully.

Posted 12 Aug 2012, 14:36 #5 

Bernard
I think possibly that as the word 'more' has more than one meaning where in this case it was used as meaning 'extra' rather than as a comparison.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 12 Aug 2012, 15:04 #6 

Zeb
Wot Bernard said... Unfortunate ambiguity nonetheless...

Posted 12 Aug 2012, 15:25 #7 

raistlin
Bernard wrote:I think possibly that as the word 'more' has more than one meaning where in this case it was used as meaning 'extra' rather than as a comparison.

Good point Bernard but the nuance was perfectly clear to anyone who heard it, the emphasis being on the word "important" as in "more important news" rather than "more important news" and noticed by more than me going by the apparent number of complaints to the BBC.
Paul

Posted 12 Aug 2012, 15:39 #8 

Chartermark
I'm the only one in the UK apparently who's found the entire Olympics thing virtual 'directed watching' by an increasingly Orwellian BBC. I've subscribed to 'Private Eye' for 45 years and their latest front page is a hoot.

There's a series of thumbnails with unctuous commentators congratulating Fred Burkwit for his Gold in the 'upright piano teflon' etc. On the last one Sophie Rayworth is saying

' and in other news, 'Aliens have invaded Earth'. Says it all.

Sorry, it's been excessive hype to me. I only watched the mens 100m final out of all of it, and had thankfully advance filled my Sky Planner to 90% capacity, to sustain me cerebally for the coming onslaught.

To me the best part of the whole thing will be in about two weeks time when the plebeian media have had to cover something else - like World news for a change!

Oh and in advance please, if you enjoyed it - great, just don't berate me by return for having a different view and expressing it freely, which is still just about a right in this nation I think!

Posted 13 Aug 2012, 15:10 #9 

raistlin
My sentiments precisely Martin.
Paul

Posted 13 Aug 2012, 15:25 #10 

Jumper
Martin, bet you don't get "hogwash" in a reply!

Posted 13 Aug 2012, 15:47 #11 

Mick
(Site Admin)
No interest in the news so the games didn't alter my enjoyment of not watching my non existent television.
I did watch a couple of things of interest on Iplayer, which allowed me to flick past all the usual inane clap trap spouted by the commentators in the build ups.

Posted 13 Aug 2012, 15:58 #12 

Chartermark
Jumper wrote:Martin, bet you don't get "hogwash" in a reply!

Except via the back door of course...

Posted 13 Aug 2012, 18:03 #13 

Jumper
Intemperance is a ferocious breeder, once fed its own vomit.
Wish I knew the Latin.

Posted 13 Aug 2012, 20:03 #14 

Tourerfogey
And what does Basil find most staggering in all of this? ...

. . . the fact that, condsidering most TV is garbage, Chartermark's Sky Planner is 90% full :lol: :lol: ;)

Posted 13 Aug 2012, 21:56 #15 

Chartermark
Well what a useful contribution, with such a lot of empty space to back it up.

Posted 13 Aug 2012, 22:05 #16 

Chartermark
Jumper wrote:Intemperance is a ferocious breeder, once fed its own vomit.
Wish I knew the Latin.

I'm sure you'll find out if you google hard enough Ray, and well worth your time.

Posted 13 Aug 2012, 22:31 #17 

Jumper
The English seems crude by comparison, but then that might be intemperate.

Posted 14 Aug 2012, 09:19 #18 

Tourerfogey
Chartermark wrote:Well what a useful contribution, with such a lot of empty space to back it up.

Touchpaper
Blue
Light
Short
etc

Posted 14 Aug 2012, 14:26 #19 

Chartermark
Your reputation says it all old bean, or is it Mr Bean?

Posted 14 Aug 2012, 15:19 #20