A couple of today's highlights in Court by raistlin

raistlin
I was chairing the Narey Court today. That's the "fast track" court, AKA custody Court, where all the overnighters are brought before the beak.

The first one of note was a Latvian 44 Tonne truck driver who was stopped while trying to drive the wrong way into the bus station from the Wolverhampton ring road. It was thought to be a genuine mistake, until a Police officer, who had been called to assist the truck in reversing back onto the main carriageway, noticed a faint smell of alcohol, whereupon he administered the screening breath test and arrested the driver, who was subsequently tested on the evidential breath tester and was found to have a lowest of two readings of 190 microgrammes of alcohol in 100ml of breath.

The legal limit is 35, making the truck driver, in charge of 44 Tonnes of truck, more or less five and a half times the limit.

In his statement, the Police officer said that there was no indication that the truck driver had been drinking as he was perfectly lucid and capable. It was merely a slight whiff of alcohol which had aroused the officer's suspicions.

Another of note was a benefit fraudster, who fraudulently claimed a total of £86000 over a period of 12 years, representing herself to be unemployed when she was, in fact, the owner of a luxury goods import business with an annual profit, not turnover, last year, of £670000. She apparently has ambitions (I kid you not) to stand as an MP.

Finally, a girl of 11 was brought before the Court charged with criminal damage. She had been involved in an argument with her case-worker at a local children's home and in a fit of temper had kicked a plastic chair which had hit a wall and scraped the wallpaper. She now has a criminal record :mad1:

... and home in time for tea and medals.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 11 Jul 2013, 18:17 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Number 3. I'm with you on this one. The world really has gone mad. :(

Posted 11 Jul 2013, 19:00 #2 

Bermudan 75
Mick wrote:Number 3. I'm with you on this one. The world really has gone mad. :(

:iagree:

Who was the petty person who instigated proceedings against this child?....

Posted 12 Jul 2013, 09:03 #3 

raistlin
Rover418275 wrote:Who was the petty person who instigated proceedings against this child?....

The case worker
Paul

Posted 12 Jul 2013, 10:16 #4 

Bermudan 75
I am somewhat amazed that this was allowed to happen, is the Court not able to 'throw out' spurious actions such as these?

Mike

Posted 12 Jul 2013, 10:21 #5 

raistlin
The offence is absolute, the youngster pleaded guilty.
Paul

Posted 12 Jul 2013, 11:07 #6 

MrDoodles
raistlin wrote:The offence is absolute, the youngster pleaded guilty.

That's as maybe, but what a complete and utter waste of money and the Courts time!

Posted 12 Jul 2013, 11:48 #7 

raistlin
MrDoodles wrote:That's as maybe, but what a complete and utter waste of money and the Courts time!

I wouldn't seek to disagree, but that is by far the most unimportant aspect of the case. Trivial by comparison, in my view Mark.
Paul

Posted 12 Jul 2013, 12:06 #8 

Jumper
That kind of thing infuriates me. I wouldn’t mind betting the child was persuaded to admit the ’offence’ without benefit of timely legal advice, in controlled circumstances, and in the presence of the complainant together with the complainant’s manager - the objective being form filling and box ticking by officialdom, and the usual veiled threat of ’you just have to tell the truth and everything will be ok’ mealy-mouthed claptrap.

Some say it’s ok, the Statute of Limitations will expunge all details of a criminal record. Well, it won’t. Try getting into USA on holiday without including in your visa application your conviction of thirty years ago for forgetting to pay for that single Nuttall’s Mintoe that found it’s way into your pocket in Woollies, or that orchard-based prank that made you sick through eating ‘windfall’ cooking apples. Really don’t know why it’s called a justice system. And contrary to the platitudes it isn’t blind, only selectively.

As if bearing the stresses of being in ‘care’ wasn’t enough, you are then taught that grown-ups can’t be trusted.

Posted 12 Jul 2013, 13:12 #9