Mk2 - how to remove seat covers? by RoberB

RoberB
Hi
Does anyone know if there is a 'how to' for removing front seat covers on Mk2 seats. I understand that Mk2's are different in that they do not have a back board - that certainly seems to be the case with mine.
All the info I have seen on forums seems to cover the Mk1 seats that have the backboard.
Does anyone know of a how to for the Mk2 seats?

thanks.

Posted 11 Jul 2011, 08:25 #1 

SpongeBob
This topic, although still unresolved holds some clues:- zt-drivers-seat-back-removal-t3659.html

Posted 12 Jul 2011, 16:53 #2 

Duncan
I've done a Mk2. I'll post some more info but not now as it's late, and involved.

Duncan

Posted 12 Jul 2011, 23:19 #3 

Duncan
OK. As mentioned, the obvious difference is the lack of a backboard to remove. But since that's the hardest part to take off anyway, it's no hardship.

Always start with the squab (backrest) cover first if you are taking off both. I don't have photos, so I reccomend making notes or taking photos as you go along to remind you where everything goes.

First, remove the headrest tubes. You have to push the cover and foam down far enough, and you will see there are two little plastic bits sticking through square holes in the tube. Push these in to release the tubes (same as on pre facelift). A couple of screwdrivers and a second pair of hands help this job.

If the seat has a lumbar adjust, then the know needs to be removed. They should just pull off, but I've had some where the assembly came apart. If this happens, disconnect the bowden cable instead.

Turn the seat upside down, and right at the bottom of the squab you will see where there are some clips that hold the cover. I can't remember exactly how these look, but it ought to be clear when you look at them how they unclip. You will start to see the insides of the seat. Various bits are held on with little plastic hooks, that hook over various parts of the bottom of the frame. Unclip these, remebering where they go. I think there are also a couple of round push in clips to pull out.

If the seats are heated, there will be a wire that goes to under the cushion. You need to unplug this under the cushion and feed the wire back out.

Start to peel the seat cover back up on itself, rather like pulling off a tee shirt. You will see some strings with hooks on the ends. Unhook them and you will see they go through holes in the foams. Unthread them from the holes, and carry on peeling the cover off. I think you can only go so far, because the covers are fastened to the foams as well. It's a bit vague because it's a couple of years since I did it. Once all the strings are unclipped, there's enough slack to slide the cover and foam together up and off. You will need to help the foam lift over the airbag built into the seat, on the side opposite the seatbelt point. Be careful, remember the airbag is basically a bomb (I always remind people because it worries me how some people mistreat them).

The cushion is then exactly the same as the older ones. Two screws at the back of the plinth, and either a big screw at the front on a manual, or a nut on an electric. Once the plinth is off, just unclip all round, disconnect the heater wires, and lift off.

I can't see the pictures on akes thread, so can't comment on what he saw and did.

If you don't see what I mean, perhaps take some photos and I can remind myself. Alternatively, will you be coming to the Nanomeet at anytime this weekend. I can offer some better advice if I can see what we are talking about.

Posted 14 Jul 2011, 18:52 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)

Posted 14 Jul 2011, 21:51 #5 

Duncan
Mick,

the how to doesn't show the Mk2's that don't have the backboard.

Also, theres a mistake. To remove the backrest tilt mech, you don't remove the star washer. There's a slot on the shaft, and it simply unscrews, allowing removal of the plinth along with the mechanism.

Posted 18 Jul 2011, 07:04 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Thanks Duncan, I was investigating seat backs at the meet yesterday, looks like another Know How is needed for Mk 2s'

Posted 18 Jul 2011, 12:08 #7 

Duncan
Mick wrote:Thanks Duncan, I was investigating seat backs at the meet yesterday, looks like another Know How is needed for Mk 2s'

Absolutely.

Unfortunately when I did mine some years ago, I forgot to take photos.

If someone wants one done at a Nano we could do it and document it.

Posted 18 Jul 2011, 18:56 #8 

RoberB
Hi
been away doing the interior, didn't realise you had come back with this. Basically got it done, followed the how to for mk1 seats but just ignored bit about back board. The how to is still very useful for removing the lumbar wheel. Duncans instructions above are fairly consistent with how I did it.
End result is pretty good, I have to say, for someone like myself who just had a go. I would say, though, that you *must* invest in some hog ring pliers. These are about £14 for Sealey pliers.
Then another £6 for the rings off ebay. Don't bother with genuine mg ones, just get a big bag of them. You will fluff them quite often - you also need 3 hands to do some hog rings on the back.
You will need to have power to electric seats too.
Have a few plasters ready - the metal is sharp on the back of the chair :)
Lastly, take your time. It is work that demands patience and concentration.
But very satisfying.
thanks for the help.

Posted 25 Jul 2011, 20:33 #9 

Duncan
Hog ring pliers certainly help. However you can use cable ties (zip tie, zippy clips) too.

I agree it takes time. Did a set for Merl at a Nano, and it took pretty well all day.

Posted 25 Jul 2011, 21:28 #10 

RoberB
Agreed, you could use some chunky cable ties. But I used hog rings. They are rock solid, and once they are in they are in, for sure. But I am like that ;)

Posted 26 Jul 2011, 10:27 #11 

PaulT
Phew!

Needed to change the side air bag. Yes, the lumbar support knob did not want to come off. Had to disconnect the cable inside the seat and then disconnect if from the knob. Then managed to ease the cover up far enough to remove the airbag.

Just got to remove the temporary seat from the car (only been in 3.5 years), take the airbag out, put it in the this seat and then put it back in the car.

Interestingly, the official workshop manual shows the centre of the knob coming out so to me the assumption was that there was a screw beneath. Luckily practiced on an old seat to discover it does not before doing a search and found this thread.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 18 Dec 2015, 15:26 #12