Insurance comparison websites by raistlin

raistlin
Over the weekend I decided to get quotes for house insurance which falls due soon.

Against my better judgment, I decided to use a comparison website. Specifically, Compare the market.

The data capture form asked for my phone number ( with a rider that it was for admin use and I would not be bothered by sales calls... or words to that effect.)

The website hadn't even finished disgorging the quotes before the phone started ringing :evil:

As of now, I have had a total of 86 phone calls.

That's the first and last time I'll be doing that. Especially as you can easily get cheaper and better quotes by going to each firm direct.

Apparently, in accepting the terms and conditions of the comparison website, I allow each of the insurance firms to pass my phone number on to "specially selected trading partners" as well :evil:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 02 Aug 2010, 20:25 #1 

takestock
Somehow i always seem to get at least one digit wrong when i enter it on these sites ;) It must really annoy somebody :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 02 Aug 2010, 20:31 #2 

Zeb
I always put in my local code followed by zeros where my number should be.....not had any complaints yet.. :confused:

Posted 02 Aug 2010, 20:42 #3 

kandyman
I have never entered my phone number, ages ago when I use to enter a number I used 02072301212 which is the number for Scotland yard.
I only remember this as I was giving that number by a young lady I met a long time ago when I asked for her number :panic:

Posted 02 Aug 2010, 22:50 #4 

raistlin
My point is that they say the phone number will not be used for sales calls. Clearly this is absolute nonsense.

I e-mailed them regarding this and their answer was
We cannot be held responsible for the use our trading partners make of information provided.

It seems to me that one just cannot trust UK Plc anymore.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 03 Aug 2010, 06:49 #5 

Zeb
raistlin wrote:My point is that they say the phone number will not be used for sales calls. Clearly this is absolute nonsense.

I e-mailed them regarding this and their answer was
We cannot be held responsible for the use our trading partners make of information provided.

It seems to me that one just cannot trust UK Plc anymore.

Ah, but can one say one is surprised by this? :roll: T'is money we are talking about...and as we know, people in marketing tend to be the most devious, socially inept, loose-moraled, glib pathological liars one could ever have the misfortune to meet....selling their own grandmothers wouldn't even register on their conscience, so lying to customers seems almost compulsory. :lol:

Posted 03 Aug 2010, 07:29 #6