Rip off websites by PaulT

PaulT
If you need to transact any business with DVLA then how about this company:

https://www.v5c.uk.com/?gclid=CP3Kn4GTr ... wwodrzEAfQ

Admittedly they do inform at the start that you can go direct to the DVLA site and avoid their charges.

They do stress their checking services.

Two examples of their charges:

Road Fund Licence (Tax disc) refund - £35. You give them the info they then post you the form to submit. The form:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 065248.pdf

So, so simple to complete and how could you get it wrong? £35!

Declaring SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) - if the V% is in the keepers name then you do it online. This companys charge for the service £60!!!!!!!
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 02 Feb 2014, 09:48 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
There are lots of this type of "form filling" site, anything from a driving licence application to passport application. They all somewhere on the page have to state that you can DIY.
Their raison d'être is to assist non English speakers or people that have difficulty in some other way of understanding forms. So they do fill a niche.

Posted 02 Feb 2014, 12:57 #2 

Duncan
Not sure I agree Mick. They seem to try VERY hard to come out top in searches, and often seem to look very like the proper, free way of doing it. Notice how the colours and typeface of this one for example are quite reminiscent of the DVLAs website, too. The E111 as was, now EHIC, was subject to a lot of this too.

If they were charging reasonable fees, then I might think differently.

Posted 02 Feb 2014, 14:14 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
3rd para on the site shown. If it were not a low level con then it would be para 1 and and in large type.

"We are not affiliated with DVLA, the Department for Transport or any government body. You can apply directly with DVLA, at no cost, and without our checking/assistance service by using the DVLA application link below."

They are all required, (I think ) by law to state this. If not by law then by arse covering.

EHIC was the first one I came across when applying for a card last year.

Of course they come top in any search engine. Either by manipulating SEO or by paying, Google for example, an advertising fee for a prominent position. I am not happy with either of these options for social manipulation, or any other for that matter.

Posted 02 Feb 2014, 14:51 #4 

PaulT
Have a look at Financial Mail in todays Mail on Sunday - a site looking very official for tax returns that 'calculates' the tax owed then asks for between £1,000 to £1,500 which seems to be for the tax. The site has now disappeared so peoples return will not have been made so they will also get a fine.

The MoS has been highlighting these sites for a little while now and most look like rip offs of the official site.

The one that I have quoted seems to be a little more upfront but also emphasises the checking so people nervous of filling in the forms possibly think it is extremely complicated.

Mick try searching for EHIC, UK Passport etc.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 02 Feb 2014, 20:10 #5