I've just done something very stupid.... by Borg Warner (Page 1 of 2)

Borg Warner
Past few nights we've had some minor trouble with the local kids. They've taken to hanging out in a near by alley blocking the footpath for anyone who wants to get past and leaving they rubbish (including their drug taking kit). I tend not to be intimidated by such things and will walk through them if necessary. We're the youngest in the close, all our neighbours are retired, some of them are quite elderly and two in particular quite frail. San was chatting to one of the neighbours earlier today and suggested that it might pay to report it to the police, which fell on my shoulders and I duly did. They said they'd do a drive by later just to see if they were there, I didn't see them.

At about 9.30 tonight we heard something outside so out I went to be confronted by 4 youths wandering up the neighbours garden path (who are away) shouting various unrepeatable words and in something of a drunken state. San called the police, meanwhile I kept an eye on them as they carried on going up other people's drive and threatening to smash next doors caravan windows and rob our house.

Eventually the police turned up, by which time they's gone, told us not to challenge them should they return and went to find them, as apparently they were causing a disturbance elsewhere.

Working nights I'm now worried that they'll return when San's on her own or do something either to the house or cars when we're out.

What have we done????

Gary M.

Posted 12 Jul 2013, 22:21 #1 

Zeb
There doesn't appear to be any connection between you reporting them and their turning up, as per usual, only drunk and more obstreperous than usual...what you have done is to get a bit ahead of the game by not waiting too long before acting and thus enabling the police to get a grip on the situation that much sooner.

Posted 12 Jul 2013, 23:09 #2 

bopperbrian
I found a way to challenge these "Gangs" of youths. My theory (and many others) is that there is one 'leader' and if you have confronted them you will have an idea who this is. If you cannot identify the leader then pick the biggest one or eldest. Move over to him ignoring all the others. Look him straight in the face and use these words (or similar). Look I know who you are and I know where you live... you may have your mates with you tonight but sometime you WILL be alone. If anything on or about my property is damaged, or my family is threatened or harmed in any way I am coming after YOU. I don't care if you claim you were on holiday at the time or claim you were at home and can prove it... YOU are the one I will have. I will put you in hospital, so think on that and tell all your mates, because I mean it. It is you I will visit one night when you are alone and not expecting anyone.

Works a treat because they are basically cowards.

Posted 13 Jul 2013, 10:25 #3 

Borg Warner
Not sure I'd be that brave, but by getting the police involved early was probaby the right thing to do, if nothing else details are on record . Good news is it was all quite last night - thankfully. San's still upset though.

Gary M

Posted 14 Jul 2013, 12:31 #4 

raistlin
bopperbrian wrote:Look him straight in the face and use these words (or similar). Look I know who you are and I know where you live... you may have your mates with you tonight but sometime you WILL be alone. If anything on or about my property is damaged, or my family is threatened or harmed in any way I am coming after YOU. I don't care if you claim you were on holiday at the time or claim you were at home and can prove it... YOU are the one I will have. I will put you in hospital, so think on that and tell all your mates, because I mean it. It is you I will visit one night when you are alone and not expecting anyone.

I'm hoping that was very much tongue in cheek :)

If not, please can I ask people to think very carefully. If you do this you WILL have committed a criminal offence which, depending on the circumstances, might be considered very serious.

Better by far would be to say nothing, but follow him down a dark alley as soon as possible, a pre-emptive attack being vastly preferable to having the specified event happen first, prevention being better than cure as they say, ensuring there are no witnesses, but please be a little circumspect. Do try and stop slightly short of murder... unless you are SURE you will get away with it :lol:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 14 Jul 2013, 13:39 #5 

Bermudan 75
Agree with Paul, a local shop keeper threatened to creep up on me when I was not expecting it and would put me in hospital, why? because he was trespassing on my property and I attempted to stop him. His threat unsettled me, however one day I turned the tables on him. I came up behind him and landed a few Henry Cooper's on him. Now he hides whenever he sees me..... No witnesses, he reported me to the Police, no action taken. A bully put in his place.

Posted 14 Jul 2013, 22:03 #6 

bopperbrian
Following someone and attacking them is a more serious criminal offence and you could come off the worst. Let me say this... I have used my method on a few occasions and it works, you then do not have to go into a situation that will involve ANY attacking and fighting because the initial offender will be worried about you getting to him 'one dark night'. I am not talking of shouting out my threat to the individual; I am talking of a quiet word in his ear with no witnesses, let's face it, he doesn't want to appear to be worried in front of his mates and to save face he will use any excuse to get them all away and then stay away in future. It's not in you own interest to shout out how 'tough' you are as well is it? Of course one should think carefully before ANY form of threat or threats but to do nothing is to invite more of the same. As I said, I have used this method on many occasions but only had to follow it through twice and although I cannot prove it, the police knew the culprits and were bloody glad I got them because they couldn't. They accepted every thing I said to them when questioned.

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 08:58 #7 

raistlin
OK,

Misunderstanding here. My fault, I apologise :)

To make things clear, my first comment above was in earnest, my follow up comment was meant to raise a laugh. I thought it was obvious, apparently it wasn't. Again, sorry for any ambiguity :)

My first point still applies though :( Even more so, now that it is clear that you weren't joking and have made certain admissions. In addition, it might be thought that you are inciting others to commit an offence.

However, only a difference of opinion :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 09:37 #8 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Thank you all for your input on this topic, I feel that the undertone of bravado and violence are not helpful to the OP's need for moral support. I hope he has at least found some solace and is able to move on from a very threatening situation.

Please let's leave the talk of violence and retribution, otherwise I will have little choice but to close this topic.

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 09:47 #9 

Borg Warner
I have Mick thanks. It was quite again last night so think it was just one of those things, so hopefully we can move on. I think such things are rare and especially in this part of the world. We were all kids once.

Gary M.

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 16:53 #10 

bopperbrian
I agree with the admin comments. I was just trying to help a fellow member with the problem he had because I have had the same problem many times, and it does make your life a misery.
I will make no further comment on this subject and apologise to anyone who has been offended by any of my posts.

Posted 16 Jul 2013, 08:53 #11 

1gp
Sadly its a sign of the times , would never of thought to do the stuff kids do today when we was younger .. trouble is the law is on there side nowdays , they think they can get away with everything , and play on there age.. just let the police deal with things..

Posted 16 Jul 2013, 21:35 #12 

Borg Warner
Would just like to say guys that I appreciate all of your comments. This site is not only a good sounding board but also a good place to get the worries of life of one's chest and share things. I for one feel a little better in knowing we are not alone in things like this.

No offence here bopperbrian.

Gary M.

Posted 17 Jul 2013, 17:29 #13 

Gate Keeper
Hi Gary, I was sorry to read that you had to go through this. You did the right thing in contacting the police, as it is now a matter of record. I agree with the police that you should not place yourself in a confrontational position. If the youths appear and cause trouble again, or you see something brewing up, call the police straight away. Put as much distance between yourselves and the youths. Lock yourselves in and if necessary put the lights out, so that you can see them and they cannot see you. Organise a network of communication between the neighbours during these episodes in case any of them become scared and need support. We went through something similar at the farm on the mountain in ZA when we had to contend with intruders to the house, armed robberies day and night now and again with it going for just over a month. We were living on our nerves and had to arm ourselves up for protection. Having a good relationship with the police and local community police helps, knowing how to stay on the right side of the law can save a lot of grief later. Apart from what I say or anyone else here suggests, Gary you are the one who is having to make the judgement call. Keep posting if you are still having a problem with anything.

Posted 19 Jul 2013, 15:35 #14 

Borg Warner
Well they returned last night, drinking their lager and smoking from their bong's? The neighbour nearest has also had enough and has also reported it to the police; that's two of us now so perhaps they'll take notices.

It was flippantly suggested that we hold our own "party" their tonight. "Go away children the adults are playing", but decided against it. See what transpires.

Thanks again folks.

Gary M.

Posted 20 Jul 2013, 14:50 #15 

Gate Keeper
We are having the street re-carpeted and for the past week, we have had heavy machinery all along the road. The road is closed off to traffic, but at night drunken residents happen to pass along the road after closing time. 2 nights ago, a couple of the drunks peed up against the dog unit van parked outside the house and there was an almighty fight between the drunks and the security guards. Ultimately they calmed everything down and moved the drunks on. I had a thought and wondered if your local community have considered clubbing together and getting a price for a private security firm to reclaim your territory. Another choice to the police. If this is not an option, keep pressing on with the police call outs. Look after yourself.

Posted 20 Jul 2013, 17:35 #16 

Jumper
From past experience retaliation first, last, or at any time, is decidedly not the way to go. People see retaliation as a challenge and invariably the base beer-goggle instinct is to dominate, resulting in someone getting the worst of it. Considering the odds, the result is predictable and therefore foolhardy.

Better, and so much easier and more effective, to be smarter. CCTV can help, but depending on the area and whether other residents are troubled, perhaps Neighbourhood Watch is the direction.

Posted 20 Jul 2013, 19:29 #17 

Brigus
Sorry to read of your troubles with the feral teenagers. We have the same problem here every summer in what is normally a quiet cul-de-sac. We have a nice open outlook, but the downside is that the field across the street is often used by youths for large drinking gatherings. About four weeks ago I interrupted a couple of teenagers trying to break into my other car (not the 75 thankfully) which parks on the street in front of my house, only a few feet in front of our lounge window. They were not at all bothered about being discovered, and it didn’t take long for two youths to become several – it was very unsettling. We worried for weeks after whether they would come back or target us because I confronted them. Last year I chased a few out of our back garden around 1am – also an unpleasant experience.

Myself and a neighbour have noticed a couple of things. It often starts with a small group that put out a message on their mobile – we’ve heard them in front of our house on the phone, stating our post code and to ‘get it out’. Presumably it’s the closest post code to the field. It doesn’t take long for a steady stream of youths to appear, all following directions on their mobiles. So our quiet street becomes a rat run and the zone of opportunistic vandalism and theft, especially later on when they’re all trashed and showing off.

You were right to call the police. I didn’t like doing it – I felt like I should be defending my property myself – but these kids are virtually above the law and they know it. The more calls the police receive the more seriously they’ll take it.

Borg Warner wrote:Past few nights we've had some minor trouble with the local kids. They've taken to hanging out in a near by alley blocking the footpath for anyone who wants to get past and leaving they rubbish (including their drug taking kit). I tend not to be intimidated by such things and will walk through them if necessary. We're the youngest in the close, all our neighbours are retired, some of them are quite elderly and two in particular quite frail. San was chatting to one of the neighbours earlier today and suggested that it might pay to report it to the police, which fell on my shoulders and I duly did. They said they'd do a drive by later just to see if they were there, I didn't see them.

At about 9.30 tonight we heard something outside so out I went to be confronted by 4 youths wandering up the neighbours garden path (who are away) shouting various unrepeatable words and in something of a drunken state. San called the police, meanwhile I kept an eye on them as they carried on going up other people's drive and threatening to smash next doors fibre glass shed windows and rob our house.

Eventually the police turned up, by which time they's gone, told us not to challenge them should they return and went to find them, as apparently they were causing a disturbance elsewhere.

Working nights I'm now worried that they'll return when San's on her own or do something either to the house or cars when we're out.

What have we done????

Gary M.

Posted 06 Aug 2013, 03:01 #18 

MrDoodles
The "Liberal Left" have a lot to answer for! :mad1:

Posted 06 Aug 2013, 08:13 #19 

Borg Warner
Well it seems to be ok at present. Hopefully it will stay that way for you too Brigus.

Although I'm still a little nervous.

Gary M.

Posted 06 Aug 2013, 18:20 #20