I've just done something very stupid.... by Borg Warner (Page 2 of 2)

raistlin
Borg Warner wrote:Well it seems to be ok at present.

So that's why I've been sat twiddling my thumbs in Court :lol:

Seriously Gary, in my experience, children, for that is what these are, have the same insecurities, need to impress, need for praise and, yes, fear that children always have had.

Bravado and pack mentality aside, when they are away from their peer group and their innate common sense prevails, most of them will give consideration to the fact that they are likely to become involved with the Police and the same needs I mentioned above will inform their future decisions / actions, especially if they have access to guidance from positive role models.

Contrary to the utterances of certain parts of the media and those for whom the demonisation of children suits their purposes , those youngsters who possess the psychopathic tendencies to choose, as individuals, to go head to head with authority despite the consequences, are very few and far between.

I have seen so many young people who might have given Rasputin a run for his money, apply some thought, in their own time and in their own way, cross their own personal Rubicon before they commit to disaster.

From the point of view of a Youth Court Magistrate with a fair bit of experience, regardless of what I'm called upon to deal with in terms of day to day youth offending, I take great comfort, as should everybody in my view, that the number of young people who graduate to adult offending are vanishingly few.

BTW, those whom I deal with in Court would never describe me as anything less than a hardliner... if they were being polite :lol:

Let's hope some of what I've just mentioned may have come to pass with those who recently disturbed your peace :)

I hope you have a continued peaceful and safe place to live Gary... and I keep my fingers crossed that what I've just said doesn't blow up in my face :lol:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 06 Aug 2013, 19:05 #21 

Borg Warner
Thanks again Paul.

Things continue to be quiet and you are absolutely right I think we tend to tar children with the same brush. One thing we have noticed is how polite the youths are here in Suffolk. If they cross in front of you they apologise, say excuse me so they can pass by and thank you when they do. So quite polite really so hopefully just one of those things.

However wish I could say the same about the drivers on the A14 but that's another story.

Thanks again for your reassuring words.

Gary M

Posted 07 Aug 2013, 16:59 #22 

raistlin
I found out a lot about what makes young people tick when I was dealing with the 2011 riot defendants Gary, but just in case you think I'm one of those for whom young people can do no wrong ;) :-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2053341/One-hardest-things-mother-Parent-shopped-son-17-spotting-rioting-mob-praised-judge.html
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 07 Aug 2013, 19:13 #23 

Borg Warner
Absolutely Paul; there are times when one has to do what one has to do.

And I certainly couldn't carry out the role you do.

Gary M.

Posted 07 Aug 2013, 20:10 #24