Francis Maude is a dangerous dick-head... by raistlin (Page 2 of 3)

Zeb
Hi Paul...it'll be sunny in Skeg I am sure..:) Fuel? The garage in our village still has some..limit £30.00 and no cans allowed..all others in the vicinity that I know of are now dry....excepting my LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) supply. Most are saying they will get more fuel by tomorrow..

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 06:14 #21 

PaulT
Thanks Zeb I will see what tomorrow brings.

Yve tells me that the garage local to us in Sutton on Sea had just one car in it yesterday - but unleaded there is 149.9 :-o . If need be I may go there and try to afford an eggcup of diesel.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 07:24 #22 

Jürgen
That reminds me of my autumn 2000 tour of Scotland. The first petrol station, when arriving by ferry at Hull, showed a cardboard sign reading Sorry, Diesel only. So I used every opportunity to top up, in order to be prepared to get back to the ferry later on.

BTW, jerry cans on sale ... :mrgreen:

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 15:42 #23 

James.uk
Jean found a shop that sold cooking oil for £1.30 a litre, and bought 50 litres!! lol.. So the ZX wont run out of fuel for a while anyway... :D

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 16:07 #24 

geesmith
Haha, like it James :)

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 16:27 #25 

Dave
Apparently tanker drivers have had their driving hours restrictions temporarily changed to allow them to work longer hours to re-stock the petrol stations after the panic buying (see here)

Surely this makes no sense as the hours restrictions are there to ensure that all truck drivers do not work excessively long shifts and should thus not be altered, unless the Govt wants to put tanker drivers (and potentially, any other road users) at risk?

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 17:49 #26 

raistlin
Well Dave, they were quite prepared to put householders at risk with some very dodgy advice on storing fuel so what's a few tanker crashes to worry about?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 17:53 #27 

Dave
Good point.....

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 18:12 #28 

Tourerfogey
raistlin wrote:Well Dave, they were quite prepared to put householders at risk with some very dodgy advice on storing fuel so what's a few tanker crashes to worry about?

Crap. The remark was taken out of context by political opponents and others for nothing other than political gains and the opportunity to partake in the popular British sport of 'politician bashing'. As for the woman who has been badly burned - yes, very sad and my heart goes out to her and her family, but come on, transferring petrol from one can to another, indoors, with the cooker on ?

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 18:29 #29 

raistlin
So, once again, TF is right and the firefighters, ambulance staff, fuel suppliers, Health and Safety executive and those of us who have worked with fuel products for a goodly proportion of our lives are all wrong. Nice to see that the status quo prevails :lol:

The so called advice was monumentally stupid, ill thought out and dangerous at best. I hesitate to give my views for the "at worst" scenario as this isn't the forum for overtly political wrangling ;) The same goes for anybody with the ear of the general population, regardless of their politics, or any other affiliation for that matter.

C'mon Basil, an unqualified "Crap" is worthy of places other than here ;)

Oh, and just as an aside, the "advice" has been withdrawn.... on the advice of those who should have been consulted in the first place :lol:
Paul

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 18:58 #30 

Tourerfogey
raistlin wrote:So, once again, TF is right and the firefighters, ambulance staff, fuel suppliers, Health and Safety executive and those of us who have worked with fuel products for a goodly proportion of our lives are all wrong. Nice to see that the status quo prevails :lol:

The so called advice was monumentally stupid, ill thought out and dangerous at best. I hesitate to give my views for the "at worst" scenario as this isn't the forum for overtly political wrangling ;) The same goes for anybody with the ear of the general population, regardless of their politics, or any other affiliation for that matter.

C'mon Basil, an unqualified "Crap" is worthy of places other than here ;)

Oh, and just as an aside, the "advice" has been withdrawn.... on the advice of those who should have been consulted in the first place :lol:

Paul, you really should read posts properly and think about what you are typing before thrashing away at your keyboard. Did you genuinely misunderstand what I said, or deliberately choose to respond in your characteristic patronising manner? ;)

Where did I say that firefighters, ambulance staff, fuel suppliers, Health and Safety executive and those of you who have worked with fuel products for a goodly proportion of your lives are all wrong? When it comes to storing fuel all that has been said is correct. What I did say, was that the comments made by the MP in question were taken out of context and deliberately exploited by those who seek to make political gain by doing so, and those who will take every opportunity to knock an MP because they think it is clever to do so.
As you said yourself in your opening post ‘Anybody with any sense knows that the safest way to store fuel is in full cans. A "bit" of fuel in a jerry can will, of course, produce a dangerously volatile explosive combustible vapour.’ Well, if anybody with any sense knows that, why would anyone take a jerry can to a garage and half fill it with fuel? Indeed, if someone was preparing themselves for a fuel shortage why would they only half fill the can? Like Stevemac said ‘a bit of fuel’ could just as easily be taken to mean ‘some’ and it seems to me quite plain that this is what was intended.

Yes the advice has been withdrawn – of course it has – there was no other option following the totally unnecessary and unwarranted reaction it received, making clarification necessary.

As for the ‘Crap’, that was an attempt (without success as it turns out ;) ) to bring you back to ground level and think about what you were saying – in hindsight I should have known better. As for that comment being ‘worthy of other places’ I wonder if that means any other forum, or just the one you cleverly got yourself banned from by having two IDs and then exposing yourself by posting under the wrong one (you see, no-one is infallible :lol: :clap: ) In any case, what’s so special about this forum?

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 21:37 #31 

Last edited by Tourerfogey on 30 Mar 2012, 21:49, edited 2 times in total.

Bermudan 75
Now Now chaps ! things seem to be getting a bit personal, the thing that has made this forum special is the good natured banter between members, and may that continue to be the case. :thumbsup:

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 21:46 #32 

raistlin
Rover418275 wrote:Now Now chaps ! things seem to be getting a bit personal

No it's not Mike:) Don't worry.

TF says things to provoke reactions, usually open to more than one interpretation so he can duck if it comes back at him. Nothing to take personally.

I have to say though basil, raking over the dirt about a previous incarnation (or two) is a bit below the belt, especially when, as far as I'm aware, you were given much more of the real background than the simplistic, superficial version you chose to raise here. Play nice mate :)

Rifts need to be healed and bygones forgotten so I'm a bit surprised by your uncharacteristically clumsy linking of a perfectly general, and neutral "other place" to have a dig was a bit out of order.

As for what's so good about this forum, I think that's self evident and besides, you've had one bite at the cherry tonight. Don't be greedy ;)
Paul

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 22:12 #33 

Last edited by raistlin on 30 Mar 2012, 22:24, edited 2 times in total.

Tourerfogey
I always play nice Paul ;)

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 22:14 #34 

Ragman
Think I'll take a timeout till mellowness is restored

bye all

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 22:24 #35 

carlpenn
I think this whole scenario was one giant scam. Simples.

There is now no Strike going to happen, the Numpties in Power have raked in some £80+ Million in Taxes - Ignoring the wads that the Petrol companies have pulled in.

The only People this has affected is those who queued for several days, or got beaten up by some angry dude or dudette :p

The politicians have a lot to answer for as they DID add to the hysteria by stating People should "top up their Tanks" and "Store Fuel" giving the whole idea that there was a problem, lets be honest if Russia was threating a Nuclear strike and the Politicians said go out and buy some Tinned food .........

I guess the next move is that Fuel will increase by xx Pence a litre now, because of supply and demand etc etc etc and WOOT we the Motorists have been sucker punched yet again.
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 23:53 #36 

PaulT
Carl all the union has said that it will not happen over Easter (they have to give 7 days notice by law) - it could happen after Easter.

Also, is TF actually Francis Maude - we must be told :twisted:
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 31 Mar 2012, 06:10 #37 

Tourerfogey
PaulT wrote:Carl all the union has said that it will not happen over Easter (they have to give 7 days notice by law) - it could happen after Easter.

:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

Posted 31 Mar 2012, 12:43 #38 

Jumper
Er.. hesitate to jump into murky waters in case of getting my legs bitten off, but (and totally without prejudice), I saw the tv interview of Maude and, providing the tv interview was not heavily edited by a politically hostile tv technician (as if), to produce a deliberately slanted impression of what he said and meant(as if), the man did actually suggest that it would be sensible to hoard an amount of fuel in a jerry can at home. There was no qualifying clarification, no consequential caution, no hesitation, and no back-tracking. He was his usual bombastic self, firmly mainaining his natural-born air of a leader who knows he can only be right. In his dreams. No matter what his politics, what his work experience, how big his fortune, he was a stupid twerp.

Posted 31 Mar 2012, 13:15 #39 

carlpenn
PaulT wrote:Carl all the union has said that it will not happen over Easter (they have to give 7 days notice by law) - it could happen after Easter.

I heard the Strike was called off on teh Radio ;) :(

Media never help situations either by getting their facts wrong
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 31 Mar 2012, 17:14 #40