Double DIN fascia by raistlin

raistlin
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390200807551&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I've just received one of these. I have to say that it looks to be of reasonable quality for the price. The surface is smooth and untextured but that will be largely irrelevant for me as I'll be having a walnut veneer panel.

There is no obvious way of securing the lower edge so the assumption must be that the shape and rigidity will be sufficient to align it correctly if the top screws are secured.

Not a chance of offering it up to the car today as it is fairly hissing down outside :(
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 29 May 2010, 10:11 #1 

Zeb
raistlin wrote:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390200807551&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I've just received one of these. I have to say that it looks to be of reasonable quality for the price. The surface is smooth and untextured but that will be largely irrelevant for me as I'll be having a walnut veneer panel.

There is no obvious way of securing the lower edge so the assumption must be that the shape and rigidity will be sufficient to align it correctly if the top screws are secured.

Not a chance of offering it up to the car today as it is fairly hissing down outside :(

Paul, useful info...:) is one of these needed for the new Chinese double din head units?

Posted 29 May 2010, 10:13 #2 

takestock
raistlin wrote:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390200807551&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I found the main issue with anything other than OEM is the colour of the material. Noticed it on one of the double din units at a recent meet, far too grey. Still as you say the use of a veneer removes the problem :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 29 May 2010, 10:18 #3 

raistlin
Zeb wrote:Paul, useful info...:) is one of these needed for the new Chinese double din head units?

Yes Carl. It MIGHT need some opening out along the upper edge but that will not be noticed once the eyebrow is fitted.

It makes me cringe when I recall that the original purchaser of the fascia I have now paid well over £100 for it.
Paul

Posted 29 May 2010, 10:26 #4 

Zeb
raistlin wrote:
Zeb wrote:Paul, useful info...:) is one of these needed for the new Chinese double din head units?

Yes Carl. It MIGHT need some opening out along the upper edge but that will not be noticed once the eyebrow is fitted.

It makes me cringe when I recall that the original purchaser of the fascia I have now paid well over £100 for it.

Thanks Paul....supply and demand previously I guess!

I am considering removing the Highline and selling it to fund a Chinese double din...once others have sorted out all the wrinkles...

I'll put the Mk4 dvd in the V8 first though...

Posted 29 May 2010, 12:10 #5 

takestock
Zeb wrote:[

Oh, it's a hard life, i suppose you swapped some loaves and fishes for the mk4 sat nav unit no doubt :roll:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 29 May 2010, 13:54 #6 

JohnDotCom
I've had the displeasure of hearing one of these Chinese all in non working properly units and the sound quality in my opinion is appalling and hardly Hi Fi.
I suppose for the price they have put to much on it,
and the unit is not aimed for the UK IMHO, with the things missing so basic to UK requirements such as EON, RDS, Digital TV tuner etc.
Its more a DIY unit to rebuild yourself.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 29 May 2010, 13:57 #7 

raistlin
You were clearly impressed then John ;)
Paul

Posted 29 May 2010, 14:36 #8 

JohnDotCom
er No, but purely a personal opinion of course.
Most seem pleased with them, but if you are listening to MP3's etc I suppose not much chance of real Hi Fi. :gmc:

My main gripe is it should really virtually run from the box without editing files, downloading fixes and updates and then having to add bits to it to make it work properly and now suggesting soldering onto main board for USB to work,
that will go down well if returned under warranty!
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 29 May 2010, 14:44 #9 

raistlin
JDC BoeingGuy wrote:er No, but purely a personal opinion of course.
Most seem pleased with them, but if you are listening to MP3's etc I suppose not much chance of real Hi Fi. :gmc:

My main gripe is it should really virtually run from the box without editing files, downloading fixes and updates and then having to add bits to it to make it work properly and now suggesting soldering onto main board for USB to work,
that will go down well if returned under warranty!

I'll stick with my Pioneer :D
Paul

Posted 29 May 2010, 14:55 #10 

takestock
Don't mention pies on 'ere :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 29 May 2010, 15:08 #11 

JohnDotCom
Pies.....
:panic: :panic: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :censored: :scared:
John

Posted 29 May 2010, 15:24 #12 

Zeb
takestock wrote:
Zeb wrote:[

Oh, it's a hard life, i suppose you swapped some loaves and fishes for the mk4 sat nav unit no doubt :roll:

No I actually had to *whispers* pay money.....a very disturbing experience it was too... :shock:

Posted 29 May 2010, 16:42 #13 

JohnDotCom
Do you have the 2010 DVD Maps and speed camera D/B and 7 digit postcode disc Zeb?
Also have update disc for voice alerts for speed cameras etc.
John

Posted 29 May 2010, 16:51 #14 

Zeb
BoeingMan wrote:Do you have the 2010 DVD Maps and speed camera D/B and 7 digit postcode disc Zeb?
Also have update disc for voice alerts for speed cameras etc.

I believe my maps are 2008.....they do have our new bypass on them though... :D

I am, as usual, somewhat behind the times... :em: ... :gmc:

Posted 29 May 2010, 17:05 #15 

JohnDotCom
Send me your address and for price of P&P I'll send you one. ;)
They are very up to date now but not sure how quick the bypasses appear.
Our new bypass took a couple of years to appear on maps, most strange.
John

Posted 29 May 2010, 17:15 #16 

Zeb
Thanks John..most kind ..and much appreciated...I will PM you my address shortly... :D

Posted 29 May 2010, 17:55 #17 

ceedy
I did the mod on an old Rover Fascia before these came out , and after hacking it about found I had no method of locating the lower edge..

I did the following.. mixed up 2 small blobs of the hard Glass fibre paste , ( can't see why filler won't work either) .. popped the 2 blobs onto the lower edge of the fascia.

then covered the blobs with 2 bits of thin carrier bag plastic.. to stop anything sticking..

and then postioned it in the required place letting the blobs mould themselves into the plastic below.

left it all to harden... file/rubbed it up a bit to neaten the edges .. & Roberts your dad brother !!!..

Does this make sense ??

Chris :gmc:
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 05 Jun 2010, 16:43 #18 

Trebor
there will be a walnut facia for this new double din before long, i have bought one and will be sending over to Simon this week to use as a template.
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 22:34 #19 

Trebor
I have heard from Simon today, he has designed the facia for the new double din as below, and is sending me one over this week, and he will include it as an option as part of his full kit.( it will be known as the " CAS Double Din facia "

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-75-DOUBLE-DIN-FASCIA-SURROUND-PANEL-ADAPTOR-/390200807551?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_FasciaPlates_SM&hash=item5ad9c7d07f

I have also asked him what the cost of the fcaia is on its own for anyone who already has the kit but may just be changing the facia.

I will post up some pics when it gets here.

Another message from Simon for anyone who has the facia for the new Chinese Units;

" I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but the small switch surrounds are fractionally wider at the top than the bottom. I pack them on the backing sheet in their correct position and the right way up. I know this is trivial and maybe not even noticed but wondered if you could just inform the members "

Simons attention to detail is first rate
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 22:39 #20