My new Pioneer double din by CDTi

CDTi
After several years of owning various Chinese double dins, I have just installed a Pioneer DD. My last Chinese unit was the Dynavin D99, which really was an excellent unit, if a little expensive. I was looking for a new challenge so I installed this: http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/2 ... /page.html. For those who are unfamiliar with this system, it allows you to connect an Android phone or iPhone to it and gives you control of the phone's screen, apps etc. I'm using an HTC One X.

The first problem with fitting any standard double din to our cars is the DD fascia. The Chinese units are a perfect fit as they are designed for our cars - or the BMW E46. I had a really good quality BMW fascia but I sold it a few years back when I got my first Chinese DD.

So I got this double din fascia: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/con-ct2 ... -zt-t.html. IMHO, its a piece of ****, although I have used it. Its really light plastic with no substantial area to mount a bracket. However, it doesn't look too bad when fitted, especially with Simon's woodgrain trim. I had to file down the fascia opening a bit to get the pioneer to fit. I suppose I'm happy enough with the final result, although I would have a like a more flush finish. Some pics:

I have a vid recorded but I need to edit it a bit. Here is an existing clip on Youtube using the same double din and phone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNqhoozfAss

I'm very happy with the unit so far. The screen is capacitive and has pin sharp resolution. I also installed an SWC adapter so I can change volume, source and track from the steering controls. Track control also works on Android. Obviously the Android version is no longer dependent on the headunit (like the D99) but will upgrade with the phone.

I have the installation complete but I'm still working on a few little issues with the phone. I'm using ARliberator to give full control of the phone and many users use Tasker to automate everything.

I bought the unit from Halfords. Purchase price was €300 euro but I had a discount card so I got it for €250. Halfords were also giving a €50 voucher with that particular unit (which I used to buy oil for my 75) so that effectively made the price €200. Additionally Pioneer were running a Cashback promotion with €100 back so the unit has really only cost me €100/£85. I think thats a real bargain for a top-end unit.

I also had to buy:

:ireland:

Posted 13 Apr 2013, 21:39 #1 

raistlin
Hi Eamonn,

That looks just fine :)

We seem to mirror each other's head unit tastes, you and I :)

Remember that first ground breaking detachable face unit we both had? I can't even remember what it was called now :(

Now both of us using Pioneer kit. I recently upgraded as well, this time to the F40BT.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 13 Apr 2013, 22:45 #2 

CDTi
raistlin wrote:Hi Eamonn,

That looks just fine :)

We seem to mirror each other's head unit tastes, you and I :)

Remember that first ground breaking detachable face unit we both had? I can't even remember what it was called now :(

Now both of us using Pioneer kit. I recently upgraded as well, this time to the F40BT.

Thanks Paul :-D

Yes, we were indeed "pioneers" with the first double din. That first unit was an "Eclipse" and very nice it was too.

I should have kept the DD fascia I adapted for it. It was much better than this new one.

Posted 13 Apr 2013, 23:10 #3 

kandyman
Looking good,

I would like to fit one of these but as i have already spent quite a bit on a complete E46 widescreen/mk4 DVD/BM24 and digital TV I can't spend any more :)

Posted 14 Apr 2013, 06:04 #4 

CDTi
kandyman wrote:Looking good,

I would like to fit one of these but as i have already spent quite a bit on a complete E46 widescreen/mk4 DVD/BM24 and digital TV I can't spend any more :)
There is a lot to be said for installing a unit that is designed for our cars. Less filing, drill etc ;)

Posted 14 Apr 2013, 14:29 #5 

kandyman
How you getting on with this ?

Thinking about getting one.

Sorry I can't remember if you started off with a hi-line system to start off with as I'm wondering what/how it'll all work. ?

Posted 14 Jun 2013, 19:14 #6 

CDTi
Andy

I didn't have the Hi-line kit in mine so it was a fairly easy installation.

I'm delighted with it, although it has taken a bit of time to get it working to my liking.

First off, if you are an iPhone user then the following doesn't apply to you. TBH, I not really sure how well the iPhone works with the Appradio but it seems to require less cabling. However, the iPhone 5 has some issues IIRC.

If you have an Android phone then you need to purchase the proper Pioneer Android kit - CD-AH200C. This is quite expensive for what is essentially a 12V USB power supply and HDMI cable. There are a few other bits also but at about £50 in the UK, its quite expensive. I got mine from the US for about £40.

I initially tried a cheaper lead but the problem with the cheaper MHL/HDMI cables is screen snow i.e you are driving along with a perfect picture and the screen turns snowy - like a TV with no signal. It seems to be caused by the 3G data signal interfering with the video data link. This problem is well documented in the Appradio forums and the purchase of the proper Pioneer interface kit seems to cure all these problems. My unit has been snow-free since I fitted the CD-AH200C so its a must-have piece of kit IMHO.

The CD-AH200C also comes with a 12 USB power supply. The first charger I was using (a cheap cigarette lighter USB gizmo I adapted) didn't keep my phone charged while connected to the Appradio, I was losing about 20% charge per hour.

My phone is an HTC One X, other phones may have other issues.

I also use Tasker as ARliberator isn't quite perfect yet.

Despite these issues, I am delighted with the Appradio.

BTW, two new versions of the unit have just been released i.e. the SPH-DA110 and SPH-DA210. The 110 is more-or-less the same as the 100, just newer firmware apparently. It is rumoured that the 100 with get this firmware art some stage. The 210 is a 110 with an optical drive.

Posted 16 Jun 2013, 11:25 #7 

kandyman
Thanks for the update.

I wonder how it'll work with a highline system fitted ?

Posted 16 Jun 2013, 12:14 #8 

CDTi
Don't really know. I have no experience at all with the Hi-line stuff, I'm afraid.

Posted 16 Jun 2013, 12:26 #9 

kandyman
CDTi wrote:Don't really know. I have no experience at all with the Hi-line stuff, I'm afraid.

Thanks,
I'll put a post up in the IE section and see if anyone can offer any advice.

Posted 21 Jun 2013, 16:58 #10 

Zaphod
I have aquired one of these, out of interest how did you fix the cage?

Posted 21 Aug 2013, 14:28 #11