Clock module to give arrival time by Duncan (Page 4 of 6)

redrover
schotten wrote:Hooked up Navcoder and had a look, no signal appears to be coming from the module. I'm still wondering if a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) session would help?

Hi,I installed Duncan's clock last week and it worked automatically, no set up needed. My highline was a retrofit a year or so ago and I have not had the car configured on T4 so I am not sure that a T4 session is guaranteed to work. Before resorting to that I would double check the connections between the clock and the car.
For info mine runs a MK4 drive with widescreen head and BM24 tuner.

Posted 10 Sep 2013, 16:20 #61 

Duncan
I looked into Navcoder last evening while testing a couple of modules that I updated with the new resistor, on my Mk3 system. I couldn't see any option to change anything relevant. I did see a symbol that looked like an arrow pointing to the destination, but no time by it. I don't remember seeing it without a clock module fitted, but I didn't have time to see if booting up with no clock module makes it disappear. I'll find a few minutes later to check.

Posted 10 Sep 2013, 18:29 #62 

Duncan
Update, no the display looks the same except for the time and date in the lower line.

I wonder if the ETA will only appear when you start driving? I'm sure Hans said that it works with Mk3 and Mk4 otherwise I wouldn't have bought one. My problem when I bought mine was I had a Mk3 Rover not a Mk3 BMW.

No matter what, I do know that you get time and date on a Mk3, I think it just needs to be figured out why you are not seeing the ETA. If you are not seeing the date and time there's another issue to be resolved, probably wiring.

Posted 10 Sep 2013, 19:09 #63 

takestock
Sorry i've not replied to this, real life is getting in the way a little.
My mk3 bmw sat nav displays the time in the bottom left corner. There is no date displayed to the lower right corner. if i go into settings and enter the date it then appears in the bottom right. Once I set a journey the top right of the screen actually displays how far it is to the destination but nowhere does it give arrival time. When i stop the car and turn off the ign etc the next time i start up I have lost the date

NB on split screen the date cannot be seen even if it is there

HTH a little
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 11 Sep 2013, 19:59 #64 

schotten
Updated Navcoder and just waiting for Kiwi Jochen to send me the key, but so far I can't see the clock module on Navcoder. I'll re-wire the interface at the weekend, re fit and report back my findings.

Posted 13 Sep 2013, 06:48 #65 

Duncan
The clock module transmits as something else as its built into the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) in a Beemer. I think its an IKE message. If it's there, you can see the time and date being sent every so often. You don't need a key to see this.

I'd suggest it is a wiring problem, though it could have been damaged in the post.

Posted 13 Sep 2013, 17:30 #66 

schotten
UPDATE!!!!! Ok I've located the wiring for the MK2 Trimble, wired the clock in temp to see what happens...............Time appears on the bottom left, so does the date (after setting both). Switched car off left for 2 hours and bingo the time appears (not straight away) after a few moments. The date doesn't as yet but maybe I didn't wait long enough, but could re set it. Will take for a spin Friday and report back.

Posted 18 Sep 2013, 19:12 #67 

Duncan
Thanks for the update Scott.

I've been to find the original thread by Hans Schaaper, and even seen some of my comments. I was told in that thread that the clock works with Mk3 otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. However there then seems to be some debate about whether the clock function is the same as arrival time. There's also some discussion about navcoder and I say there is a setting for the arrival time though I didn't see this in my brief look at navcoder last week.

I'm struggling for time this week, and I can't work with my car as it's still full (actually FULL) of Nanomeet stuff especially the Generator. I hope this will improve at the weekend and I can get a better answer.

Posted 18 Sep 2013, 20:21 #68 

schotten
Right here goes....clock appears all the time now and very quickly at that! Date wasn't there this morning, re-set it, parked car up at station, came back this evening and bingo date reappeared. Flicked through various screens, both still there. Split screen date is gone, full screen it's back. Great. Parked car for 1/2 hr,came back, no date!!! Agh!! Haven't tried the ETA function, will connect up Navcoder and have a play tomorrow.

Posted 19 Sep 2013, 17:44 #69 

schotten
Had a go with Navcoder today, it will not allow you to tick the 'Arrival Time' option with a MK3, only in MK4 does it ungrey and give you the option. Had a look around the other modules in the car, can read and code TV, reads radio but not code it, and can't even read the nav. Checked the LCM module, can't read it, reports back there is an error, strange when I got Navcoder first a couple of years ago it read everything. I'm starting to wonder if I have an iBus problem on the car? The date had to be reset this morning, but the time is there all ok along with 'outside temp', 'timer function' doesn't do anything and neither does 'distance'. The ETA is there, but reads 0:00. All a bit weird. I have taken some pictures of the various screens, and will upload them. You'll see the time difference between shots and how the screen changes. Might just save up for a MK4 !!!!!!!

Posted 20 Sep 2013, 11:42 #70 

schotten
I've posted up some pics so you can see what I'm getting. Hope this helps? :-D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 20 Sep 2013, 12:26 #71 

takestock
Same as my mk3 then :( don't look good for the mk3
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 21 Sep 2013, 16:02 #72 

Duncan
I've been and had a good read of what Hans told me about the Mk3. He said yes the clock module works with the Mk3. However he didn't say it was fully tested, so maybe there is a problem. I bought mine from him for a Mk3 but being a Rover Mk3 it didn't work at all.

So when I built the first test part, I connected it to a BMW Mk3 and the clock and date show up. I can't set a destination on that one as its on the bench and has no GPS.

Also in the thread where we talked to Hans, it looks like Navcoder needs to be used on Mk4s to switch the feature on. It doesn't need the licensed version to do this, but it is needed.

All in all, I'm a bit depressed about it because I've sold you guys something that I believed did what I was told it did. The clock bit works but it seems ETA is a bit variable. Perhaps this is why Hans stopped selling them?

Posted 22 Sep 2013, 15:32 #73 

schotten
Well, the date appears some days, then not. I'm trying to see if there is something I'm doing at start up that makes it appear. All rather strange?

Posted 06 Oct 2013, 19:41 #74 

Duncan
From the various feedback it seems I was misled about the operation with a Mk3 when I bough my module some years ago:

Rover Mk3. The day of the week sometimes displays, other times nothing. No ability to set the clock anyway.
BMW Mk3. Clock displays, date sometimes displays, ETA is not available.
BMW Mk4. Clock and date display, ETA will display but sometimes only if coded using Navcoder.

I have some more units built and tested so I'll contact the people who have PM'd me to see if they still want one based on this.

Posted 08 Oct 2013, 18:38 #75 

dattrike
Duncan,
Having recently bought a MK4 drive, when fitness permits I'll let you know how mine performs.
As an aside, was the 16:9 screen ok?

Posted 08 Oct 2013, 19:50 #76 

Duncan
Hi, Dave. I've had a look but currently can't get even the white line out of the screen. It seems to be missing the matte front part that's scratched on mine too, so maybe it's a different version. I need to spend a bit more time figuring out where the differences are.

Posted 08 Oct 2013, 19:53 #77 

Geoff130
Hi Duncan, I met you at the last Wolverhampton nano meet and you mentioned these. I'm not too worried about the issues, I'm hoping to be the next meet and if you're going to be there I would like to buy one. I'm not bothered if it's a kit or ready made. I have the widescreen head unit and Mk4 GPS so we could possibly try it and see how it works.

Posted 17 Oct 2013, 23:36 #78 

Duncan
Just an update. I have a small number ready (four or five) but I need to arrange to send these to people in the order they asked. Things are mad busy right now, but I'm really hoping things will settle down in the next couple of weeks, so I can sit down and get the bits together or make some more. I'm just moving from one job to another, and the new one has been taking some time 'getting ready' even though I don't start until Monday. I'll see if I can bring the box of bits to make a kit to the Nano, but I know I don't have any spare built ones.

Posted 18 Oct 2013, 09:48 #79 

Geoff130
If you can that would be great, thanks

Posted 18 Oct 2013, 16:01 #80