"BMW" widescreen/mk4 upgrade by jimbo

jimbo
Three weeks ago I completed upgrading the hiline units on my V8 by finally fitting a mk4 navigation computer after already having fitted a BM24 radio tuner, E46 widescreen bord monitor and hybrid tv tuner.

Now wouldn't mind upgrading the software and replacing the annoying BMW splashscreen with a Rover one but I've got a "few" questions that might have some bearing on whether I bother or not as I quite like the split screen and zoom capability the current software has.

The number at the top right on the settings screen is SW4-1/00 which I understand is at least V31.
If upgraded to the latest version 32A? with 7 figure postcode search/night mode/speed cameras etc. do I loose any current functions ie: split screen.
I've heard that if you disable the speed camera function it can give problems with the language displayed, is this true.

I noticed that when I installed the widescreen bord monitor I lost the RDS/TP function - the INFO button on the widescreen - is there any way to get this back as I quite liked being able to select the station I received traffic announcements from, also when I fitted the mk4 navigation computer I lost the SELECT function - SEL button on the widescreen - again can this be made to work as I rather miss the random feature for the CD changer.

I've read how to "downgrade/upgrade" the software so a new splashscreen can be installed but I'm worried I might "brick" the computer if I try to do this myself, mind you I did manage to do similar upgrade to a Mio satnav. Would anybody have a disc with suitable software and a Rover splashscreen.

Finally, sorry about the monologue, I notice on the setting menu there is a time and date function - can this be made to work.

Any help and advice would be greatly received and appreciated

Regards
Jim
jimbo

Posted 13 Sep 2010, 14:41 #1 

Bermudan 75
Hi Jim,

I hope that someone at the Cheshire meet might be able to resolve your problem.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 13 Sep 2010, 15:37 #2 

JohnDotCom
Jim you have a PM. :em:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 13 Sep 2010, 15:38 #3 

JohnDotCom
jimbo wrote:Three weeks ago I completed upgrading the hiline units on my V8 by finally fitting a mk4 navigation computer after already having fitted a BM24 radio tuner, E46 widescreen bord monitor and hybrid tv tuner.

Now wouldn't mind upgrading the software and replacing the annoying BMW splashscreen with a Rover one but I've got a "few" questions that might have some bearing on whether I bother or not as I quite like the split screen and zoom capability the current software has.

The number at the top right on the settings screen is SW4-1/00 which I understand is at least V31.
If upgraded to the latest version 32A? with 7 figure postcode search/night mode/speed cameras etc. do I loose any current functions ie: split screen.
I've heard that if you disable the speed camera function it can give problems with the language displayed, is this true.

I noticed that when I installed the widescreen bord monitor I lost the RDS/TP function - the INFO button on the widescreen - is there any way to get this back as I quite liked being able to select the station I received traffic announcements from, also when I fitted the mk4 navigation computer I lost the SELECT function - SEL button on the widescreen - again can this be made to work as I rather miss the random feature for the CD changer.

Random on CD player isn't available on MK4 setup etc. Also you loose the split screen facility but do gain the perspective 3D mode. Turning off the voicers on the Speed camera alerts can temporaryliy upset system till returned on giving French/German warnings in text due to not complete compliance with our cars.
RDS is automatic and the TP etc with a BM24 is on permanent indicated by a Green TMC marking at bottom of screen rather than Red.
By preesing the FM button it shows you all the available stations where you are at that time and you can select the one you want from there if not in the memory.

I've read how to "downgrade/upgrade" the software so a new splashscreen can be installed but I'm worried I might "brick" the computer if I try to do this myself, mind you I did manage to do similar upgrade to a Mio satnav. Would anybody have a disc with suitable software and a Rover splashscreen.
This isn't to much of a problem but always at owners risk as usual I'm afraid.

Finally, sorry about the monologue, I notice on the setting menu there is a time and date function - can this be made to work. Only if you purchase the chip available from a Dutch member of OC but not seen him around for quite a while.

Any help and advice would be greatly received and appreciated

Regards
Jim
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 13 Sep 2010, 15:45 #4 

jimbo
JohnDotCom wrote:Jim you have a PM. :em:

And answered with thanks John

Jim
jimbo

Posted 13 Sep 2010, 16:23 #5 

jimbo
John,

Cheers for the information, I'll now mull over it - not too sure about loosing the split screen find it a boon plus I've already found a menu that gives the 3D perspective view with the current software.

Regards
Jim
jimbo

Posted 13 Sep 2010, 16:27 #6 

MN190
jimbo wrote:John,

Cheers for the information, I'll now mull over it - not too sure about loosing the split screen find it a boon plus I've already found a menu that gives the 3D perspective view with the current software.

Regards
Jim

I have the same set up as you. I did the downgrade then upgrade to get all the functions working correctly.
I have the audible speed camera alert and still have the split screen facility. I don't think you can have the split screen and be in perspective view at the same time but you can chose one or the other.
The MKIV nav is more robust than the MK3 but you won't get anyone willing to give you a guarantee that the nav computer won't go wrong during any upgrade process.

Posted 13 Sep 2010, 19:26 #7 

jimbo
MN190 wrote:
jimbo wrote:John,

Regards
Jim

I have the same set up as you. I did the downgrade then upgrade to get all the functions working correctly.
I have the audible speed camera alert and still have the split screen facility. I don't think you can have the split screen and be in perspective view at the same time but you can chose one or the other.
The MKIV nav is more robust than the MK3 but you won't get anyone willing to give you a guarantee that the nav computer won't go wrong during any upgrade process.

Thanks for your comments.

At the moment I can have the split screen with all views: direction of travel/direction north/perspective view. Don't have the 7 figure postcode/night mode/speed cameras - wouldn't mind the first two but not that bothered about speed camera alerts, used to drive me mad on the TomTom I previously used.

I think you might have misinterpreted my original post, I'm not looking for a guarantee from anyone re the downgrade/upgrade, I was alluding to my own capabilities of producing the discs required. I quite understand the risks that might well be involved. I have had a kind offer from JDC to let me have the software required which i have accepted.

Kind regards
Jim
jimbo

Posted 13 Sep 2010, 22:47 #8 

MN190
jimbo wrote:
I think you might have misinterpreted my original post, I'm not looking for a guarantee from anyone re the downgrade/upgrade, I was alluding to my own capabilities of producing the discs required. I quite understand the risks that might well be involved. I have had a kind offer from JDC to let me have the software required which i have accepted.

Kind regards
Jim

Yep got it wrong again

Cheers
Mark

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 11:31 #9 

jimbo
MN190 wrote:
Yep got it wrong again

Cheers
Mark

No probs Mark, thanks for the interest.

Cheers
Jim
jimbo

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 11:49 #10 

MN190
jimbo wrote:

Regards
Jim

Thanks for your comments.

At the moment I can have the split screen with all views: direction of travel/direction north/perspective view. Don't have the 7 figure postcode/night mode/speed cameras - wouldn't mind the first two but not that bothered about speed camera alerts, used to drive me mad on the TomTom I previously used.

Kind regards
Jim[/quote]

Have checked it out this morning and split screen and perspective view, Direction of travel / direction North are all still available with the upgrade to 7 digit post code/night mode and audible speed camera alerts.The speed camera alerts can be switched off and still receive voice instructions on travel.
The speed camera alert still goes off when no route has been programmed in.

Regards,
Mark

Posted 17 Sep 2010, 08:35 #11 

jimbo
MN190 wrote:
Have checked it out this morning and split screen and perspective view, Direction of travel / direction North are all still available with the upgrade to 7 digit post code/night mode and audible speed camera alerts.The speed camera alerts can be switched off and still receive voice instructions on travel.
The speed camera alert still goes off when no route has been programmed in.

Regards,
Mark

Cheers Mark for checking that out for me, the upgrades the way to go then.

Regards
jim
jimbo

Posted 18 Sep 2010, 09:46 #12