audio upgrade by tiger260

tiger260
hello all, looking to change my head unit, but don't want to spend loads; I have a Hi Fi system at home; I've read about certain BMW head units from the E46 3 series being fitted, is this possible? All I would like is a CD player really, nothing posh... :D

Posted 04 Oct 2010, 07:26 #1 

MN190
It all depends on what you have now?
If you have the hi line Sat Nave then your choice is limited to the BM24 or BM54.
If not then your choice is open although you may need a fascia adapter plate for the opening

Posted 04 Oct 2010, 11:32 #2 

Bermudan 75
I would suggest that you have a look at RadioGuy's double din chinese unit. They appear to be rather popular and have received many favourable reports.

Posted 04 Oct 2010, 11:47 #3 

richardwjackson
Depending on what head unit you have you could also try the Harmon Kardon upgrade?

Posted 04 Oct 2010, 12:34 #4 

tiger260
Thankyou very much for the feedback everyone! I have the basic radio cassette, and I don't really want to drasticly alter the look of the car, or lose the steering column volume adjustment etc... I do wonder how much/ where a full HK upgrade could be souced and fitted... Anyone done it!
:D

Posted 04 Oct 2010, 13:51 #5 

Bermudan 75
Installing any of the upgrades will not drastically alter the look of your car. IMHO they would improve the look. RadioGuy's double din unit fits very well and you would believe that is was an OEM item.

There have been quite a few posts on 75ZT OC that included pictures of the unit fitted to one of our cars. The night illumination is, if I remember correctly very similar to the Rover factory fitted units.

If you have a search in the members list for RadioGuy you will find his website and posts about his product.

Posted 04 Oct 2010, 15:20 #6 

richardwjackson
tiger260 wrote:Thankyou very much for the feedback everyone! I have the basic radio cassette, and I don't really want to drasticly alter the look of the car, or lose the steering column volume adjustment etc... I do wonder how much/ where a full HK upgrade could be souced and fitted... Anyone done it!
:D

The complete HK set-up available on Ebay for £125. See link below.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ZT-Harman-Kardon-sound-system-speaker-subwoofer-/230532810779?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35acd3881b

Not fitted one because mine has HK as standard. :)

I'm sure there are a few members on here who have successfully installed it......

Posted 04 Oct 2010, 17:41 #7 

Duncan
A couple of points about the HK.

First, I would also upgrade the head unit from the basic Harmony, to the Symphony.

That HK kit on ebay has only part of the wiring. Not hard to make up, if you know wiring. Otherwise you really need the full loom, which makes it a much simpler plug and play option. I'd check the amp bracket is included too, and you may need to think about putting a new parcel shelf, or at least adding a vent, to let the Bass out from the subwoofer.

Posted 04 Oct 2010, 18:30 #8