Upgrade to BMW 16:9 info required by Merl

Merl
Hi all

Just been looking again at upgrading especially as my current 4:3 system fizzled out the other day and nothing powers on at all... not even the head unit (any idea's? muchly appreciated) but would prefer to upgrade each bit at a time rather than pay out all in one go so if I can get my current one working that would be great.

I know I need the BM54 and also the analogue tv tuner, preferably mkIV sat nav but wondering which 16:9 unit as i'm sure I read somewhere not all will work.... and looking on ebay there is the E53 which is the one I have the feeling doesnt work and the E39 but is there any others that will work?

Any help, pointers in the right direction would be appreciated

Thanks

Martin
Martin

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 22:32 #1 

Ragman
Hi Martin - there's a how to on the two-sixties for this

You need

Mk Iv Sat Nav
BM24 radio module
16:9 display unit

If you want the 16:9 unit with the CD behind the display then you need the BM54 radio and associated adaptor cables

If you wanf digital TV then you need either the BMW Hybrid Tuner (expensive) or a seperate Freeview tuner - others will need to post on sources of these

Look for kit from BMW E46 vehicles

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 22:41 #2 

Merl
lol why did I not check the ICE forum on the 260's doh... just went through the other forum and spent ages looking at the 260 site but on everything else doh. it's late I need sleep....

Cheers Colin
Martin

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 22:46 #3 

Ragman
My pleasure

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 22:48 #4 

Andrew
There are two 16:9 displays for upgrade for our cars, the one to choose has a ridge running across the middle of the unit left to right, i have upgraded my system with tv tuner mk4 dvd and display, i didnt bother with the radio tuner because of the uncertainty of fm availability in the future but i heard an announcement from the radio regularity department that it maybe still available depending on whether the car manufacturers go to dab as its another expense not really necessary.

If you would like any pictures ask and ill get the camera out.

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 10:49 #5 

JohnDotCom
You really need the 16:9 head unit from the BMW E46 that fits properly and has all the right fittings and looks of rest of front car design.

You don't have to change the radio from the one you have but the BM24 from BMW is a far better unit, with a much better sound amplifier for all sections of system than any of the MGR ones, also having twin Tuners for constant TMC.
The BM54 requires additional wiring alteration or adaptors which add around another £70 to price of unit.

The Wide screen TV Tuner is required for wide screen viewing,
although analogue TV it is still the cheapest route then get a third party add on TV Tuner for digital TV and view through AV channel.

The MK4 BMW Sat Nav computer is the way to go as it can hold so much more information,
as well as being "upgradeable" for software.
7 Digit Postcode searches and Speed Camera database discs can be obtained, with a wide choice of POI information,
also verbal alerts for cameras and night screen settings etc etc.

The BMW MK3 is the best to go for if staying the CD route but has its limitations.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 12:13 #6 

Merl
Cheers guys, thought it had to be the one with a ridge on!

Anybody know if there is a list of serials for genuine BM54 units? as some seem to be BM24 and even saw one that said it was agenuine BM54 with ID3 tag etc but with round pins.... is this the case as from what I read else where they should have flat pins if BM54.
Martin

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 23:27 #7 

Mad-Monkey
Merl wrote:Cheers guys, thought it had to be the one with a ridge on!

Anybody know if there is a list of serials for genuine BM54 units? as some seem to be BM24 and even saw one that said it was agenuine BM54 with ID3 tag etc but with round pins.... is this the case as from what I read else where they should have flat pins if BM54.

I seem to recall there being a BM54 Tuner with round pins, however, it is only really a BM24. IIRC its something like BM54 Professional. Fully functional BM54 units have flat pins, and need the adapter as mentioned by John. Get the adapters from BMW, it works out cheaper.

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 11:21 #8 

Duncan
I can confirm the 54 with round pins, but don't know what differences are. I was told it has less functions than the flat pin version.

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 17:48 #9 

Mintman
The BM54 was also made with the BM24 pins(plug&play) called :

BM54 Back. BMW part number 65.12-6 933 455

Bm24 part nr: 65.12-6 907 130

"Normal" Bm54 round pins adapter needed: 65.12- 6 976 963

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 18:05 #10 

Duncan
Mintman wrote:The BM54 was also made with the BM24 pins(plug&play) called :

Do you know if there were any functional differences? In particular if it got an input for telephone audio?

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 19:06 #11 

Mad-Monkey
That was is BM54 Back not professional, im a dimwit!

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 21:43 #12 

JohnDotCom
Duncan wrote:
Mintman wrote:The BM54 was also made with the BM24 pins(plug&play) called :

Do you know if there were any functional differences? In particular if it got an input for telephone audio?

Different sound amplifier stage,
When sat nav cuts in sound of background is reduced to a level set by you but doesn't cut out like MGR units or BM24.
Both have two Tuners for permanent TMC,
the BM54 will work with the CD 16:9 E46 head unit.
The BM24 and BM54 can have various inputs including phone when linked with right leads and other components
the 16:9 head unit is also required for this to work.
DVD replay and/or Digital TV can run through AV channels on this the same,
also the Digital Tuner by BMW is Stereo through ext inputs and the Tuner itself (most MGR MK1/2/3 and BMW MK3 are Mono).

If I can be of any further assistance PM or EMail or I will be at Nano meet.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 21:59 #13 

Merl
cheers for all the info guys!

Can't make the next nanomeet as over in belgium with the mgf register, hopefully the one after that. If not might take you up on the pm offer thanks John :)
Martin

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 22:40 #14