BM54 Back - what to expect by JakeWilson (Page 1 of 2)

JakeWilson
Picked up a BM54 back from a member on the other side yesterday. Got it cheap because it works fine apart from no sound from the drivers door speakers. Working on the principle that I'll most likely have to send it off to to one of the repairs listed on ebay.

That all aside, what does it offer over the standard radio tuner?

Posted 08 Nov 2011, 20:26 #1 

MN190
Better sound
TMC on all the time
Not sure if you can get aux input with the BM54 back but at least you won't need the three exta cables

Posted 08 Nov 2011, 20:56 #2 

JakeWilson
Thanks Mark,

I'd read that it's cheper as you say you don't need the adapter. I'm wanting to go down the intravee and alpine set up anyway, so auxilliary isn't too much of an issue.

Am i right in saying that I will need a TMC enabled disc as well for the drive? Also, can the BMW Mk3 be updated for postcode search or is that MK4 only?

Cheers,

Jake

Posted 08 Nov 2011, 22:55 #3 

MN190
The Mk3 can do 5 digit postcode search only and yes you will need a TMC enabled disc and the new ones don't support TMC anymore.
For full 7 digit postcode you need a Mk4 you can then also do an upgrade to get audible speed camera warnings.
(You don't have to program a route in to get these warnings either)
You will need a modded disc but these are easily available from a variety of sources including here

Have just started down the Intravee route myself and managed to get the adapter lead of ebay for a silly low price..
The Intravee's are selling for just as much money 2nd hand as brand new on the few occasions they appear.

Posted 08 Nov 2011, 23:52 #4 

Duncan
Sound quality is noticeably better for sure. To get aux input you need a connects 2 adapter and lose the CD player, though I have a cunning plan to allow aux input with all Bordmonitor radios, by using the cassette inputs to the radio module.

The intravee does work, but none of the UIs seem to work particularly well with the BM54 back.

I don't think it has an input for the telephone either, but I don't know for sure.

Posted 09 Nov 2011, 07:58 #5 

JakeWilson
Thanks chaps as ever for the assistance. Although I am getting there with installing them, the actual functionality is still new to me. I've also managed to pick up a Mk4 at a very reasonable price.

Telephone isn't a massive issue for me, as if it was synched in, then people would expect me to answer! :-D I'm interested in this cunning plan of yours though Duncan, let me know if you need a guinea pig at a nano next year!

Posted 10 Nov 2011, 13:49 #6 

Duncan
You don't have a BMW Mk3 to sell by any chance? Mines a Rover one so I can't update the SW.

Posted 10 Nov 2011, 15:39 #7 

JakeWilson
You've a PM on it's way! :-)

Posted 10 Nov 2011, 16:40 #8 

JakeWilson
Rather than start a new thread, thought I'd use this one.

I've two duff units - a BM24 and this 54 back. Repair services I've found on ebay, the 24 costing 30 quid to repair, the 54 costing 100 quid to repair.

I've got to get one done, but wondered if anyone could suggest what benefits getting the 54 repaired would grant me as opposed to the cheaper 24!

ta,

Jake

Posted 01 Feb 2012, 16:04 #9 

MN190
I would get the 24 repaired and then when fixed and working sell the 54 on for spares and repair.
I don't think the benefits for the 54 version you have are worth it over the 24

Posted 01 Feb 2012, 17:43 #10 

Duncan
I may be able to help you with this. I'll PM you later.

Posted 01 Feb 2012, 17:48 #11 

JakeWilson
Thanks gents for the advice! :-)

Duncan - I look forward to receiving your PM.

Posted 01 Feb 2012, 19:45 #12 

Duncan
The 54 sounds better in my opinion. However you would also need an antenna adaptor as the connector is different as you will be able to see.

The 54 seems to have a common fault, though I don't know what it is. They seem to lose channels gradually. It's either a soldered joint problem or a chip failure is my guess.

I'll send you a PM with a suggestion.

Posted 01 Feb 2012, 19:48 #13 

offyoutoddle
if i get a bm54, to fit in the rover is this the only cable I need? is it literally unplug it, put this in the back of the bm54, plug the loom into the other end of this adaptor and its all working?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391120958582

Posted 25 Aug 2015, 11:49 #14 

MN190
There are two types of BM54 Round pin and Flat pin.
The round pin you don't need any converter leads

For the flat pin there are three adapter leads you need

Posted 25 Aug 2015, 13:04 #15 

offyoutoddle
with a flat one, do you need that one I've mentioned above, and which are the other 2?

Posted 25 Aug 2015, 13:30 #16 

MN190
See this bm24-to-bm54-confusion-t3383.html

But you may be better off with something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-E39-E ... 3cff6a1eac
I can't say for definite but it looks like all the leads are there

Posted 25 Aug 2015, 14:11 #17 

offyoutoddle
thanks for all your input - it is very much apprecaited. Caveats accepted, will order the cable and see what happens.

BTW, is this likely to stop my cd changer in the glovebox working, or is that white 10 pin connector involved in that?

Posted 25 Aug 2015, 15:28 #18 

MN190
With the correct leads your CD player will still work

Posted 25 Aug 2015, 16:04 #19 

offyoutoddle
ok thanks again. One last question if you know , if I want to connect in a bluetooth ulf module, is that something that can plug into this all later, or do I need to plan ahead and buy a lead with specific connectors now?

Posted 25 Aug 2015, 17:01 #20