BM54 Back - what to expect by JakeWilson (Page 2 of 2)

Duncan
The ULF won't just plug straight in. However the extra wires needed will push into spare spaces in that adaptor lead. It might be possible to buy a lead with the ULF connector included but I don't recall ever seeing one.

Posted 25 Aug 2015, 17:11 #21 

MN190
No you can do it later, you can prepare the converter lead in advance but it's not a must do, as you can unplug lead and remove and work where it's best for you.
There is someone who can mod the BM54 and fit the Bluetooth module inside that. Then there is no need for a separate ULF and then you would just need to wire in microphone and a pairing switch.

Posted 25 Aug 2015, 17:23 #22 

offyoutoddle
ok thanks for that. Once I get the bm54 radio in and working , that's probably the right time to worry about the rest!

Posted 25 Aug 2015, 17:39 #23 

offyoutoddle
Hi, this is probably another obvious question for those who know this stuff, but I had a look at my standar rover radio still connected in the boot today, and noticed the radio unit has a large plug (presumably the round pin type going in the back. This one comes out and I guess goes in the quadlock connector I'm buying, which then in turn the other end of this adaptor goes in the fitting in the bm54. The radio seems obvious, the question i hvae is the 10-12 pin cable and where the cables to fit to that go in. I'm assuming at the bottom of my rover radio where the round pin connector is fitted there are 2 separate connectors there - do I pull those out of the rover plug and attach them directly to the 10-12 pin cable on the adaptor I've bought? On the adaptor this is white and has 4 or 5 white steel pins bared.

Sorry I'm a real novice to all this and I'm starting to wonder if I've bitten off far more than i can chew

Posted 26 Aug 2015, 12:55 #24 

MN190
Yes that is correct they come out and plug direct into white steel pins.
The White end plugs into the Flat pin connector directly into the BM54

Have a look at Post 13 onwards
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s ... 212&page=2

Posted 26 Aug 2015, 15:53 #25 

offyoutoddle
MN190 wrote:The White end plugs into the Flat pin connector directly into the BM54

i think that the adaptor i have has a white lead with 10 pins (about 5 actually, all bare and sticking out) for the connectors attached to the car (CDC?) and it is already fixed at the other end of the lead as 2 (white and a black) 12 pin connectors into the bottom of the quadlock adaptor. From here they will be plugging directly into the bm54 effectively. I just have to make sure i get them the right way round I guess. Sound right?

thanks again, really don't want to blow things up!

Posted 26 Aug 2015, 19:12 #26 

MN190
If you get them the wrong way you will have no sound its then just a case of swapping them over.
I haven't heard of anyone blowing anything up when connecting these the wrong way around

Posted 27 Aug 2015, 12:17 #27 

offyoutoddle
well if there is going to be a first its me ;)

sure it will be fine, I will be sure to report back with my findings. Really appreciate the help, this wouldn't be possible for someone like me without a community like this. Thankyou

Posted 27 Aug 2015, 12:45 #28 

offyoutoddle
ok as I suspected, I am incapable of even the simplest tasks unaided. I can't get the existing radio unit out.

Can someone advise me what but comes out? the plug that goes in the back of my existing radio has a square black plastic surround, is that what comes out, I've tugged on it and it won't move - there doesn't appear to be a gate or latch mechanism involved, and I'm not sure if this part of the radios chassis or what needs to come out? Or is it the cabling that goes into that - do I pull on the cables?

Posted 04 Sep 2015, 13:51 #29 

Duncan
There's a slide that moves sideways. You have to move it sideways at right angles to the cable. Don't just pull the cables! If you have a look now you will probably see what I mean. Otherwise it will take a photo to explain.

Edit: the bit that moves is that square surround as you describe it. Its just that it moves sideways!

Posted 04 Sep 2015, 15:18 #30 

offyoutoddle
thanks Duncan, will check tomorrow hopefully and report back!

Posted 04 Sep 2015, 22:28 #31 

offyoutoddle
Duncan - thanks for the guidance- all went without a hitch.

thanks to some well received help, I now have a the 16:9 widescreen head unit, the analogue 16:9 tv unit, and a bm54 fitted. No issues - very very happy. Next - the ulf module!

Posted 06 Sep 2015, 20:41 #32