Clock module to give arrival time by Duncan (Page 2 of 6)

takestock
kandyman wrote:Sounds good Duncan.

What sort of process are we looking at for installing the kit in the car.

:scared: :scared: :scared:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 08 Jul 2013, 20:29 #21 

Duncan

You need to connect three wires to the car. Probably the easiest is in the boot by the satnav or in the wheel well by the TV or radio.

The PCB (Printed Circuit Board) has a terminal block. You will need to add wires to connect to accessory (ignition) feed, earth, and kbus. I'm not providing the wire as the length will depend where you want the module. The box is about 50x75x25. You will need to get to it to change the battery once in a while, but it's likely to be two to three years. The wires are just spliced into the existing wiring. I'll make sure I post colour codes!

Posted 08 Jul 2013, 20:32 #22 

kandyman
takestock wrote:

:scared: :scared: :scared:

I know its a scary thought :iagree:

Posted 09 Jul 2013, 06:10 #23 

kandyman
Duncan wrote:

You need to connect three wires to the car. Probably the easiest is in the boot by the satnav or in the wheel well by the TV or radio.

The PCB has a terminal block. You will need to add wires to connect to accessory (ignition) feed, earth, and kbus. I'm not providing the wire as the length will depend where you want the module. The box is about 50x75x25. You will need to get to it to change the battery once in a while, but it's likely to be two to three years. The wires are just spliced into the existing wiring. I'll make sure I post colour codes!

Or you could of said the short answer,

Bring it here and i'll fit it :thumbsup:

Posted 09 Jul 2013, 06:11 #24 

x10rich
This all sounds fantastic! Thank-you

Posted 09 Jul 2013, 11:00 #25 

Duncan
kandyman wrote:

I should have said. Bring it to a Nano and we'll help you fit it.

Posted 09 Jul 2013, 16:59 #26 

JohnDotCom
You can add me to the list to please Duncan, my Dutch? version of this looses time, have changed battery.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 10 Jul 2013, 19:42 #27 

raistlin
Duncan wrote:
kandyman wrote:

I'll second that.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 10 Jul 2013, 20:27 #28 

kandyman
raistlin wrote:
Duncan wrote:
kandyman wrote:

I'll second that.

I will make it along one of theses days :cheers:

Posted 10 Jul 2013, 20:29 #29 

BingleyThe75
I shall endeavour to come to a Nano once I'm back on the road...
In a cold world, it's a warm place,
Where you know that you're supposed to be.

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 16:39 #30 

Duncan
I know it's been quiet, but there is progress. I made up a small batch and had some issues with a few modules. Some where just my sloppy soldering but a couple I can't yet solve which worries me. Whatever, I now have a number of working modules, and will be checking postage costs on Saturday.

Posted 17 Jul 2013, 19:55 #31 

x10rich
Sounds good! Can't wait. The final part of my upgraded system!

Posted 18 Jul 2013, 09:48 #32 

Duncan
Right. Some of you will have been wondering what was up, as I promised to sort postage rates out at the weekend. I did, but I've had a nagging problem with some of the units I was building up. About one in four just wouldn't work. I didn't have time at the weekend to get to the bottom of it as I have a significant ongoing garden building project. I was worried because if they don't work for me and I cant figure out why, then it would be no good sending out kits. I was worried I might have a duff batch of components, though the sources seem OK.

After much messing, I found today that on some but not all of the blank PCBs, there are tiny hairs of copper bridging tracks. It's easy to fix now I know what it is, and I have all but one board I built working fine. It's irritating given what I paid for the boards, and I will be giving them feedback.

I do have postage prices for the UK, and I'm now confident that I can supply kits, and won't have a huge cost for modules that don't work. I'll work out the final prices before the end of the weekend, and start arranging for orders!

Posted 25 Jul 2013, 20:38 #33 

kandyman
Thanks for the update,

and well done on the fault finding :thumbsup:

Posted 26 Jul 2013, 16:37 #34 

JohnDotCom
Bad news on the PCBs, that should have been spotted by Company before despatch!
Thanks for update Duncan.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 27 Jul 2013, 14:39 #35 

Duncan
I now have enough built and working units, plus bit for kits, to do a first batch.

First an explanation what you will get:
Either a fully built and tested PCB or kit and instructions to make your own. To build your own, you will need a small tipped soldering iron and a little skill and patience. Remember there are a couple of chips to solder in.
You will get a small plastic case that the circuit board squeezes into. You will need to drill a hole in this to run your wires.

You will need some wires plus I recommend a fuse in a holder. You will need to splice into your cars wiring somewhere to connect to accessory live, ground, and kbus. Behind the dash under the monitor screen, in the boot by the satnav, or in the wheel well by the radio or tv module are all suitable.

What it's going to cost. I managed to buy most components at slightly cheaper prices so the kit price is £15 plus postage, a fully built for £22 plus postage. Postage to the UK will be £5 including the jiffy bag, recorded first class. Overseas, let me know where you are, and I'll confirm a price. Alternatively collection from the next Nanomeet, or from someone coming to it is also quite OK.

If you still want one, please PM me. I'll give you payment details if you want one sending or reserve one for collection. I'll build up one list of who wants one so if you see your name on a list in more than one place, I haven't double counted you!

Posted 31 Jul 2013, 18:55 #36 

Duncan
Suffolk Boy. Fully built ordered.
Scoubix. Fully built, ordered pending postage confirmation.
Bolin. Fully built ordered.

Posted 31 Jul 2013, 21:08 #37 

kandyman
Pm on way for a fully built system.

Thanks

Posted 01 Aug 2013, 19:25 #38 

x10rich
I have also PMd for a fully built one

Posted 02 Aug 2013, 08:03 #39 

tez75
I have sent a pm for a kit
Terry