Wow... I'm rich by raistlin

raistlin
Apparently, according to two e-mails I've just received, somebody I don't know from Adam has just deposited over 300 000 Euros in my Paypal account.

Sadly, when I went to my Paypal account through my own link rather than the one the e-mail sender helpfully provided, there was no sign of it :lol:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 23 Jul 2012, 16:50 #1 

kandyman
I wonder how many people get caught out with theses types of scams, some people must get stung for them to keep trying.

Posted 23 Jul 2012, 16:52 #2 

Tourerfogey
No, no, no, you don't understand - you HAVE to click the link in the email for it to work... ;) :lol: :lol:

Posted 23 Jul 2012, 21:56 #3 

ceedy
I've had emails from FEDEX, Santander , Western union and Lloyds this morning all worried about my accounts ? :-D :-D

Lucky that, As I didn't know i had these accounts ;) :-D
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 24 Jul 2012, 13:29 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
A new one on me.
Yesterday I received a letter allegedly from BT. It was delivered by an unknown courier, not GPO. Post marked TNT post. Addressed to 6 Benwick and my name.
The contents of the letter:-
One of our customers has told us they are moving to your address and want to take over the phone service.
We want to make sure we've got the details right, so we don't cause you any problems with your phone service. If you are not moving or we've got the wrong date please let us know asap by calling 0800 500 288 and we'll cancel our customers order.
You'll also need to contact your phone company to get them to cancel the order on your side.

Errors made by these scammers, although it looks on the surface to be a genuine but innocent mistake, I'm sure some people have been taken in by this scam.

1. I am a BT customer, no reference made to account number or telephone number.
2. 6 Benwick is not a valid address.
3. To be opened by addressee only.
4. 0800 500 288 is not a valid BT contact number.
5. Although my name is at the head of the letter. After the bogus ref number it says. To the occupier, Hello.
6. As BT customer, why would I need to contact my phone company to cancel this order?

You couldn't make this up but, somebody obviously has.

Posted 24 Jul 2012, 13:49 #5 

Duncan
Mick, it seems that letter is very similar to a real one. maybe someone is mving and the address they gave has an error and BT have assumed it's you. Might be worth a call to BT themselves via a number you have, just to be sure.

http://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/quot- ... d-p/488367

Posted 24 Jul 2012, 15:03 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Thanks Duncan, I took your advice and the letter is in fact genuine, for someone with the same name as mine but living at number 6 my road. Quite how the letter got to me is something only a psychic might fathom. :lol: It has been confirmed that the letter should have gone to 6 ******** road and I am about to stroll up there and introduce myself.

Posted 24 Jul 2012, 15:44 #7 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Just to finish this story off. The person at that address does not have the same surname and initial as me. However the person that has bought the house and is moving in tomorrow does.
A complete and utter cockup by BT.
Furthermore, I think I had better advise postie that there are now two of us.

Posted 24 Jul 2012, 15:59 #8 

raistlin
Apparently, I have now some 880 000 Euros waiting for me in my Paypal account.

Of course, if I wasn't as thick as two short planks I might be just a tad suspicious, having received a total of 21 e-mails identical in all respects other than the supposed amount of money ;)

I downloaded one of the e-mails and opened it under "Sandbox" conditions. It is merely a crass attempt at dropping a trojan.

When will these manic optimists ever learn?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 24 Jul 2012, 16:12 #9 

kandyman
Mick wrote: I think I had better advise postie that there are now two of us.

That's gonna give me nightmares now.

Posted 24 Jul 2012, 19:38 #10 

Duncan
These things can get entertaining. At work we use outlook to book resources like conference rooms, and also test rigs. I used to look after the bookings for one of the rigs because I'd built it. Now to do this it had an email address, albeit only ever used internally.

It still got three or four job offers, and a number of russian 'girls' who wanted to marry it. I guess it was because of this the security on its bank accounts was often in question.

Posted 24 Jul 2012, 20:13 #11 

Trebor
Its difficult enough now at times to spot the fake from the real thing but as the criminals get more sophisticated will we soon not believe anything we get from a third party ?

Paul, any chance of a loan you can senf by paypal if you like
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 26 Jul 2012, 17:26 #12 

Chartermark
Just read this, many years ago in the head office of am International Corporation far away, a few of us decided that things were becoming far too inhuman. To prove it, we contrived to create an 'invisible employee'. He got a phone, (always answered by voice mail), a mobile, similarly responded too and an email address.

He had one of those superfluously banal titles 'Interactive Liaison Officer' and was named Arnold Graspa. Quite quickly he was receiving not only emails, but voice mails too, which were always returned via answerphone somehow.

At conferences, clip-boarded biddy's, would ask 'Have yeeew seen Arnold' to which we'd direct them to an empty chair, with a jacket draped on the back and a fag smoldering in the ashtray. 'Oh I'll get him later, here's his ID tag - thank yeeeew' they'd squark and bounce off.

We promoted him, provided a car space (convenient for friends to use), and a Luncheon Voucher entitlement (which he always returned for dietary reasons). Arnold wrote important memo's from time to time, which took a sheet of A4 to contribute precisely nothing, and were greatly admired.

Frequently booked on training courses, he was destined never to attend, Arnold proved to take a lot of holidays and was frequently sick. In the end he died in a car crash on the Guildford by-pass and got a very nice obituary via the 'in house' magazine.

Many were really upset and wanted to send flowers but were advised to donate money to the Mind Mental Health Charity, where it was explained, he'd joined us from.

Posted 01 Aug 2012, 22:58 #13 

Bermudan 75
Excellant ! :clap:

Posted 03 Aug 2012, 12:16 #14 

Chartermark
Thanks Mike,

It was a bit like Spitting Image, (I did the voice), others contributed from IT, HR, etc etc. The Aussies (not to be outdone) actually got their version on the payroll, and also gave him a car - and extended leave for Haemorrhoids or at least they claimed they did - you know what Aussies are like!

Posted 03 Aug 2012, 23:34 #15