What's the point... by raistlin

raistlin
...of offering a "Best Offer" facility on a fleabay page?

I was intending to buy an item which had a "Buy it Now" price of £275 but also allowed for the use of "Best Offer".

I offered £250, £260 and £270, each time the offer being auto rejected.

Having no more offer chances available, I sent a message to the seller to find out the point at which a "Best Offer" would be accepted and he told me... £274.99"

As I said - what's the point?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 14 Mar 2015, 16:04 #1 

Trebor
That's just stupid Paul, not within the spirit of the best offer process and ought to be reportable
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 14 Mar 2015, 17:19 #2 

Duncan
My guess is they get cheaper listings by including the best offer. I have come across many listings where its clear the seller has no intention of accepting the offer.

Posted 14 Mar 2015, 17:40 #3 

raistlin
Well he didn't get my sale Duncan.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 14 Mar 2015, 18:45 #4 

Mad-Monkey
I have a listing that eBay wont let me remove the Best Offer option so its listed with. Its very annoying.

Posted 14 Mar 2015, 21:11 #5 

Bolin
Is that due to a certain listing category David, or due to the item price?

Posted 17 Mar 2015, 23:26 #6 

PaulT
Is it to get people to up their offers to near the BIN, not be able to make any more offers so in desperation they hit the BIN button as it is only a little above their last offer?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 18 Mar 2015, 07:57 #7 

Mad-Monkey
Bolin wrote:Is that due to a certain listing category David, or due to the item price?

Don't know. They're just pens for a few quid and free postage. By the time postage is paid and eBay take all their fees there's only about 70p left, so not keen on offers yet I have to list as make an offer :?

Posted 18 Mar 2015, 10:11 #8