Vulcan by Dave (Page 1 of 2)

Dave
How many are left flying?

I live 15 miles or so South of Waddington and used to see them regularly, but today we were walking back to our car on the High Dike, a "green lane" that runs North just to the West of RAF Cranwell and one appeared having just taken off! Nice to see one again after so long, and I'd forgotten how good they look and how loud they are! :mrgreen:

I would have taken a photo or a small video, as I know that many on here like their 'planes, but sadly my camera phone lens is useless (although I have actually ordered a new lens, and it arrived this morning, just not had a chance to fit it yet!)

Posted 05 Jun 2014, 12:23 #1 

raistlin
Dave wrote:How many are left flying?

Just the one Dave.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 05 Jun 2014, 12:36 #2 

Dave
Cool! Where's it based then? (If it turns out to be Waddington or Coningsby, this might be embarrassing! ;) )

Posted 05 Jun 2014, 14:53 #3 

raistlin
Dave wrote:Cool! Where's it based then? (If it turns out to be Waddington or Coningsby, this might be embarrassing! ;) )

See HERE Dave.
Paul

Posted 05 Jun 2014, 14:59 #4 

Dave
Cheers Paul!

Took me a while to find out where it actually lives now (Robin Hood Airport - is that a new name for East Midlands?). Also no sign of any events today so wonder where it was going to/from? Also intrigued to know, as it appears that it's no longer a military plane, who was flying it!

Posted 05 Jun 2014, 16:01 #5 

raistlin
I understand that it will be at Cosford on Sunday Dave so maybe it was on a pre-display shakedown flight.

You are right. There is no military involvement with it now, other than the fact that almost all of the air / ground crew are ex RAF :lol:

They were a right pain in the derriere to work on, from an avionics point of view but they were, and still are, a thing of beauty whilst, at the same time, in my view ultimately menacing.
Paul

Posted 05 Jun 2014, 16:11 #6 

Dave
raistlin wrote:They were a right pain in the derriere to work on, from an avionics point of view but they were, and still are, a thing of beauty whilst, at the same time, in my view ultimately menacing.

Is this from personal experience?!

Posted 05 Jun 2014, 16:56 #7 

raistlin
Dave wrote:
raistlin wrote:They were a right pain in the derriere to work on, from an avionics point of view but they were, and still are, a thing of beauty whilst, at the same time, in my view ultimately menacing.

Yes :)
Paul

Posted 05 Jun 2014, 17:53 #8 

PaulT
Cannot remember the name of the book but there is a fascinating one about the run up to and the first bombing run on Port Stanley airfield in 1982.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 05 Jun 2014, 18:01 #9 

Duncan
No, Robin Hood isn't East midlands. East Midlands has become NEMA (Nottingham East Midlands Airport). I believe Robin Hood is near Doncaster?

Posted 05 Jun 2014, 18:05 #10 

Duncan
I saw a couple of other aircraft last Sunday that I wonder whether may have been on there way to Cosford, then? The first was an old, probably WW2 era twin engine plane. I couldn't find my glasses in time to get a good look, but from the glimpse I got when I found them it seemed to be a Mosquito. It was VERY low, I'm surprised we didn't lose some TV aerials. I wasn't sure it sounded like a pair of Merlins though. Looked too small for a DC3. Then about an hour later on a near identical path and very similar height, what looked like a Herc.

Posted 05 Jun 2014, 18:09 #11 

raistlin
PaulT wrote:Cannot remember the name of the book but there is a fascinating one about the run up to and the first bombing run on Port Stanley airfield in 1982.

Vulcan 607 by Rowland White

Operation Black Buck.

Certain parts of the book need, in my view, to be taken with a pinch of salt ;)
Paul

Posted 05 Jun 2014, 18:13 #12 

Last edited by raistlin on 05 Jun 2014, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

PaulT
That's the one Paul - the only time the Vulcan was used in anger.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 05 Jun 2014, 18:17 #13 

Dave
Duncan wrote:No, Robin Hood isn't East midlands. East Midlands has become NEMA (Nottingham East Midlands Airport). I believe Robin Hood is near Doncaster?

That makes sense - Robin Hood and his merry band of Doncaster men... ;)

Posted 05 Jun 2014, 18:25 #14 

Dave
raistlin wrote:
Dave wrote:

Yes :)

Blood out of a stone ( ;) ), next question is - were you at Waddington?

Posted 05 Jun 2014, 18:26 #15 

raistlin
PMed Dave :)
Paul

Posted 05 Jun 2014, 19:05 #16 

Duncan
Dave wrote:
Duncan wrote:No, Robin Hood isn't East midlands. East Midlands has become NEMA (Nottingham East Midlands Airport). I believe Robin Hood is near Doncaster?

That makes sense - Robin Hood and his merry band of Doncaster men... ;)

Sherwood forest was a little bigger in those days. He is even reputed to have visited North Yorkshire. Robin Hood's Bay to be precise.

Posted 05 Jun 2014, 21:19 #17 

Dave
A little bigger?! :)

Posted 05 Jun 2014, 21:29 #18 

Borg Warner
taxiing.jpg
bg.jpg

Someone said menacing, not a Vulcan I know.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 07 Jun 2014, 12:06 #19 

Duncan
Yes, but another of the V bombers. But is it a Victor or a Valiant?

Posted 07 Jun 2014, 19:07 #20