Very unique...yet another irritation! by Bernard (Page 1 of 3)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Bernard
How can something be very unique?
Surely it's unique or not?
Just heard it on BBC TV, they really should know better. :shock:
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 27 Jan 2012, 20:15 #1 

raistlin
That's almost completely dreadful Bernard ;)... or... almost exactly.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 27 Jan 2012, 20:19 #2 

Last edited by raistlin on 27 Jan 2012, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

Jürgen
'Very unique' is just a bit more unique than just ordinary unique. :mrgreen:
:gmc:

We are surrounded by a media world of superlatives. So unique isn't good enough anymore. What's next, 'uniquest'? :panic:

Posted 27 Jan 2012, 20:25 #3 

Bernard
There are just so many things that annoy me as I get older. :hissyfit:

Posted 27 Jan 2012, 20:30 #4 

DeuxGazoles
My ex Gaffer used to bug me with a few of his favourites such as "It's mounted vertically straight up & down"
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 27 Jan 2012, 20:35 #5 

Trebor
Maybe there should be a " grumpy " section of the forum for pet hates and moans
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 27 Jan 2012, 20:41 #6 

Bernard
Trebor wrote:Maybe there should be a " grumpy " section of the forum for pet hates and moans

What a good idea! I could fill it. :)

- Oh! with the help of Tourfogey, of course. ;)

Posted 27 Jan 2012, 20:45 #7 

RhodieBill
Isn't it an 'Oxymoron'?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 27 Jan 2012, 21:11 #8 

Bernard
RhodieBill wrote:Isn't it an 'Oxymoron'?

No use asking me, I'm just an illiterate engineer but I don't think so nor is it hyperbole either. Is it a redundancy?
Where are the English scholars when you need them?

Posted 27 Jan 2012, 21:15 #9 

Tourerfogey
It irritates me when cars are described as 'immaculate for year' - it's either immaculate or it isn't, there can be no qualification grrrrrr

Also:

a local secondhand car dealer advertises 'up to a minimum £2000 part exchange allowance' - how the hell can you have up to a minimium? It has to be up to a maximum or DOWN to a minimum.

grrrr grrrrrr

. . . oh, and the first person to say 'calm down dear, it's only an advert' in a Michael Winner type voice will get a very big virtual raspberry :D

Posted 27 Jan 2012, 22:46 #10 

Bermudan 75
Have you noticed the spelling errors on the scrolling news bar on the BBC News channel? Errors never seem to be corrected, they just disappear when that particular news item is replaced. :confused:

Posted 28 Jan 2012, 00:52 #11 

PaulT
What I always like are adverts for cars that say 'first to see will buy'. I always want to go and say 'am I the first'. When they say 'yes' say 'you were wrong'. Hey, I can do that when retired.

Back to the original post, it is unfortunately where the English language is going and also being diluted by text speak, fueled by those heathens across the pond who have to change the spelling of words to make them 'easier'. Unfortunately, these then creep into written english and sometimes employed by the BBC.

PS an Angry Section might upset Zeb who just wants to be mellow
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 28 Jan 2012, 07:06 #12 

Dave
PaulT wrote:What I always like are adverts for cars that say 'first to see will buy'. I always want to go and say 'am I the first'. When they say 'yes' say 'you were wrong'. Hey, I can do that when retired

LOL! I like that as I have to agree with your irritation on this one! I also like your reasoning. If you are the first and don't buy, then they are wrong. If you're not the first, then the first one didn't buy and they are also wrong! :D

Btw, I have to ask (and wouldn't have done in any other thread!) but..... fueled or fuelled? :gmc:

Posted 28 Jan 2012, 09:32 #13 

Bermudan 75
fuelled

Posted 28 Jan 2012, 09:35 #14 

Dave
Rover418275 wrote:fuelled

Yup! Unless you are American!

Posted 28 Jan 2012, 09:46 #15 

Bermudan 75
Dave wrote:
Rover418275 wrote:fuelled

Yup! Unless you are American!

Don't they get gassed up? :confused:

Posted 28 Jan 2012, 09:58 #16 

Dave
Depends what they have been eating I guess......

Posted 28 Jan 2012, 10:58 #17 

RhodieBill
Luv it!....lol.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 28 Jan 2012, 11:22 #18 

Jürgen
Dave wrote:
PaulT wrote:What I always like are adverts for cars that say 'first to see will buy'. I always want to go and say 'am I the first'. When they say 'yes' say 'you were wrong'. Hey, I can do that when retired

LOL! I like that as I have to agree with your irritation on this one! I also like your reasoning. If you are the first and don't buy, then they are wrong. If you're not the first, then the first one didn't buy and they are also wrong! :D

If you're the first person to show up, then make a small offer and make a real bargain. Or if they don't want to sell, then you've just proved that they have lied. :mrgreen:

Posted 28 Jan 2012, 11:55 #19 

geesmith
There's always a uniquer one waiting to be unearthed.

My wife insists on using double negatives.... the worst aspect of that being that I have to mentally run through my old English teachers reprimands. Best to just quietly translate the full bread bin into an empty one... I haven't never told her about it but I'll not make that mistake again without measuring the consequences.

Yes, I'm old enough to have had old English lessons.

Posted 29 Jan 2012, 00:21 #20