Very unique...yet another irritation! by Bernard (Page 3 of 3)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

PaulT
On the Today programme on Radio 4 this morning they were discussing people leaving school at 16 who have very little reading and writing skills.

Easy to blame teachers but their hands seem very tied today (I have fond memories of the board duster being hurled at a pupil)

Easy to blame the parents but their hands seem tied - but I am sure the families with 3 generations on the dole cannot see any reason to read and write, indeed it possibly prevents them getting a job.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 15:58 #41 

Bermudan 75
They need to read and write to fill in the various benefit claim forms ! :mad1:

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 16:12 #42 

Zeb
Rover418275 wrote:They need to read and write to fill in the various benefit claim forms ! :mad1:

Nah, you can go down t' CAB and they'll do that for you...;) :D

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 16:46 #43 

geesmith
It is quite possible to be highly successfull whilst being dyslexic ..example Richard Branson.

I suspect on this forum we tend to be from the period when learning was beaten into you, and future success was deemed to be highly dependant on being able to display academical ability.

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 17:07 #44 

Dave
geesmith wrote:I suspect on this forum we tend to be from the period when learning was beaten into you, and future success was deemed to be highly dependant on being able to display academical ability.

Interesting and, I suspect, a very astute observation...

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 17:52 #45 

PaulT
geesmith wrote:It is quite possible to be highly successfull whilst being dyslexic ..example Richard Branson.

I suspect on this forum we tend to be from the period when learning was beaten into you, and future success was deemed to be highly dependant on being able to display academical ability.

And some actors who are dyslexic BUT there are people leaving school who cannot read and write now all of those cannot be dyslexic (think you will find that Branson did not leave school without being able to read and write in some form).

I might be from a different era but I enjoyed reading and I have grown up with a love of books. I dare say that a number of households have no books in them - 'if you've got a telly to watch Corrie and Eastenders what more do you want'.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 01 Feb 2012, 08:19 #46