THERMOSTAT REPLACEMENT by shrimper1 (Page 2 of 3)

ceedy
I unfortunately went the way of a std Stat and all the agro of fitting last year.

This is much easier ..

The only BUT !!! that comes to mind is ... How long would this one last before needing replacement ? hopefully a long time as ? How would you get this one out again with all the greasing and ramming in :-o .

:gmc:
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 19 Dec 2011, 16:03 #21 

Ewok
The thermostat on our Rover 75 died months ago - so I thought I'd dig the manual out and get a new one put in. No probs 10 minute job - NOT - I as found in the manual. Thankfully I came across this post.

I've since ordered one from Rockauto and fitted the in line version – pushed it a bit further down the hose than described in the thread above – just so the stat end does not restrict the flow at all where the pipe clamps on.

Basically took about 20 minutes. Did that a couple of weeks ago now – car is running perfectly. Temperature gauge spot on the middle between hot & cold. Before it was running at about 64 deg – now it’s spot on 83deg – which is actually what was stamped on the stat.

I have to say I was a bit dubious about this “fix” – but more than happy now – works an absolute treat. Re-reading the thread I’m not sure who exactly came up with the solution first – but a BIG THANK YOU to whoever it was and to ARCTIC for the great pictures and how-to.

Posted 28 Nov 2012, 17:52 #22 

Arctic
(Trader)
Glad to hear it works i cant remember whom came up with the idea either now but as you say thanks good mod, i think you have the gates 83c where has i have the 89c also stamped on the stat ;) we wil be having toastie feet this winter in our car thats for sure Arctic.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframe ... um=TH01489
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 30 Nov 2012, 00:14 #23 

Stebo
I have read with interest re the fitting of an in-line thermostat, was this fitted to a diesel engine? I cannot tell from the illustrations.

Posted 11 Dec 2012, 17:53 #24 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Yes, this is only suitable for diesel models.

Posted 11 Dec 2012, 18:24 #25 

Ewok
Diesel - yes. Ours is working a treat. Very happy highly reccomended :-)

Posted 12 Dec 2012, 10:27 #26 

James.uk
Just had mine done and it works very well. A very good mod.. :)

Posted 12 Dec 2012, 17:29 #27 

Arctic
(Trader)
Over 12 months now since i fitted this stat and all is nice and warm and running warm and hot after 5 miles even quicker if the FBH (Fuel burning heater.) kicks in or i switch it on :thumbsup:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 12 Dec 2012, 23:53 #28 

Bermudan 75
Would a faulty thermostat be the cause of the heater not getting hot enough?

Mike

Posted 16 Dec 2012, 22:28 #29 

carlpenn
Rover418275 wrote:Would a faulty thermostat be the cause of the heater not getting hot enough?

Mike

Do you have the inline Stat?

Prior to having mine fitted, I couldn't get the Engine up to temp even on a 70Mph run during Summer on the M'Way. Stat was stuck open on mine. Now, after a few miles, the Temp starts to rise and stays there. The Heater blows out lovely and I have even had to reduce the setting of the Heater down to about 25 / 26 Degrees even in this cold weather we have had recently :)

A brilliant Mod, which I was turned onto by Arctic and had fitted with the excellent help of Dattrike at one of the Midlands Mini Meets.
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 17 Dec 2012, 18:45 #30 

Bermudan 75
No, just the standard kit.

Posted 18 Dec 2012, 23:14 #31 

Ewok
Rover418275 wrote:Would a faulty thermostat be the cause of the heater not getting hot enough?

Yes it would.

The diesel engines produce very little heat at the best of times - and a stuck open stat will mean the water temperature never gets higher than about 63 deg in my case - and you get nothing more than a luke warm heater. Fixing the thermostat means the water in the engine gets up to 83 / 89 deg and you have a proper heater again.

Posted 20 Dec 2012, 16:06 #32 

Tootall
Thought i would bump an old post.

Looks like my stat is stuck open as my temp will never rise above the small line between 1/4 and 1/2, i was wondering how you guys are getting on with these in-line stat's ?
Ex-Longbridge track monkey.

Posted 08 Oct 2014, 16:25 #33 

raistlin
I'd be keen to hear long term reports as well :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 08 Oct 2014, 16:35 #34 

ceedy
Ditto..my last/only oem replacment is failing after only 30k miles and got an inline on order

C.
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 08 Oct 2014, 17:48 #35 

Trebor
I have had a meziere housing and stat for some time now, replaced the stat that came with it to a 90 degree one and my temp now gets to 100 or just over before falling back down to around 88 and then toggling between the 2
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 08 Oct 2014, 19:46 #36 

Tootall
I am about to order one of these inline stats - Question is do i order the 86 deg or the 89 deg one?
My daily commute is 10 miles each way if that would make any difference.

Posted 26 Jan 2015, 18:51 #37 

Tootall
89 deg one fitted this morning as it was snowing, had to remove the inlet manifold so i could get better access to the top jubilee clip, on a quick trip around the block the temp rose to half-way :)

Posted 31 Jan 2015, 16:05 #38 

ceedy
Just a bit of info earlier in this Thread I popped in a New OEM stat ( 2011) and Its starting to fail already only gets to 78 or so , so currently using an inline as well..

Posted 31 Jan 2015, 20:00 #39 

barrynash
[quote="takestock"]There is a cheaper option available for and inline stat now, contact Bigruss for more info seem to remember he has the details :)
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=79[/quote - Where can I purchase the in-hose stat and how much is part?

Posted 09 Feb 2015, 14:55 #40