THERMOSTAT REPLACEMENT by shrimper1 (Page 1 of 3)

shrimper1
My thermostat needs replaceing, Has anybody got a view on the best way to go? one option is to replace as is with new thermostat, The other is to fit a new thermostat and houseing into the top hose, Has anybody done the latter and if so how is it performing, What did you use ect, all info would be welcome. Many Thanks in advance.

Regards John. :confused:

Posted 12 Feb 2011, 22:09 #1 

Mintee
I've done the top hose version with a Meziere housing and thermostat (from the USA). Cost me @£80, time to do @15 minuets. Works perfectly well, the original was completely shot mind you, I was getting no more than around 62°C on a run. Now runs @87°C and the heater is superb!

Posted 15 Feb 2011, 13:50 #2 

timbo.p6
that sounds easier but more exspenive wish i had known aboat the latter option

Posted 17 Feb 2011, 20:27 #3 

takestock
There is a cheaper option available for and inline stat now, contact Bigruss for more info seem to remember he has the details :)
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=79
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 17 Feb 2011, 21:34 #4 

Mintee
takestock wrote:There is a cheaper option available for and inline stat now,

Although 'cheapness' is not always the best option it would be worthwhile keeping an eye on the £-$ exchange rate - if it gets to @$1.65 to the £ the Meziere could well end up cheaper.

Posted 19 Feb 2011, 09:41 #5 

takestock
Here you go:

In Russ's absence I'm pretty sure this is the type he fitted, just undo the top hose and push the stat in, ;) CHECK WITH RUSS FIRST

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-4-5-9-11- ... 5641fd574e

That's similar to the Gates one fitted from the Renault 5 / Clio

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1862100

Opening port size 22mm

Dead easy to fit, and no cutting of the pipe necesssary and cheap :)

all modifications at owners own risk ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 19 Feb 2011, 11:32 #6 

Last edited by takestock on 19 Feb 2011, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

Russ
(Trader)
I can confirm with testing of the Renault in-hose stat that it's providing temps of between 85-87C with the ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) set to 20C even when pushed fairly hard it has not gone over 94C.

The results up to press look promising but of course we still need to wait for warmer weather to see what happens then and will be doing some more longer distance testing later this next week.

Still it's early days but it definately works as a temporary replacement. As to it being a permanent option will depend on the results of testing once the weather gets warmer.

Russ
Full T4 diagnostics, options enabled and disabled p.m for details

Posted 19 Feb 2011, 12:06 #7 

Arctic
(Trader)
The stat arrived this morning from gates my order was placed on August 12th 2011 at 04.58am and arrived today 15/08/2011 8.15pm fast service.

I note from the paper work that the Gates Thermostat TH01489 came from here below just incase this helps anyone.
RockAuto,LLC
Unit 1 Foremost Industrial Estate
Grange Mill Lane
Sheffield,
South Yorkshire
S9 1HW

service@rockauto.com
http://www.rockauto.com

This is the thermostat that arrived today
Image1

Image2

Now my question is which way does this face the engine or which end is inserted into the hose first dot 1 or dot 2 in the photo below
Image3
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframe ... um=TH01489
Thank you in advance for your help Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 15 Aug 2011, 08:38 #8 

Last edited by Arctic on 10 Feb 2015, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.

Arctic
(Trader)
I can not work this out today when i had to take the car for it,s MOT i gave it a good old Italian tune up first on the M54 10 miles i all then onto the test which she passed no advisories it stood for about 10mins waiting to be tested then was running during the test say 30mins when i wa given the car back drove turned engine off put OBC (On Board Computer) on 19 then 7 let it read 77 let it tick over for say another 10-15mins it climbed to 86 in about 7mins then onto 96 eventualy i turned her off so the stat must be working ok right if so i would not need to use the gates themostat i bought would i Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 15 Aug 2011, 22:31 #9 

Duncan
It might read high enough when not driving, but you have no airflow over the radiator. You need to check it when driving along, that is does it drop away again?

Posted 16 Aug 2011, 07:02 #10 

Arctic
(Trader)
Duncan wrote:It might read high enough when not driving, but you have no airflow over the radiator. You need to check it when driving along, that is does it drop away again?

HI Duncan yes it drops again but i have also been advised that i need to check it at 50mph in top gear over a good distance which i will be able to do Thursday as i am off to North Wales to see my Daughter and pick up my grandson as hes stopping with his uncle my son for a few days. For some unknown reason i received another gates thermostat this morning must have be sent out twice :confused: so now i have two :roll: Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 16 Aug 2011, 08:58 #11 

Duncan
Arctic wrote:[HI Duncan yes it drops again but i have also been advised that i need to check it at 50mph in top gear over a good distance which i will be able to do Thursday as i am off to North Wales to see my Daughter and pick up my grandson as hes stopping with his uncle my son for a few days. For some unknown reason i received another gates thermostat this morning must have be sent out twice :confused: so now i have two :roll: Arctic

I'm interested to hear the results. I expect it will be low.

I'm pretty sure I have a thermostat issue as my FBH (Fuel burning heater.) was still on after an hours driving when we had the really cold spell last winter.

I was going to fit an OEM but this alternative sounds interesting, so long as it doesn't affect cooling performance as I will be towing!

Posted 16 Aug 2011, 12:12 #12 

Arctic
(Trader)
On thursday i traveled to Wales to pick up my grandson 257mile round trip on this trip i took readings off the OBD (On Board Diagnostics) see below

After 5mls 74degs

at 23mils traveling at 60mph 74degs

40mils at 70mph 73degs

60mils 65mph 75degs

80mils 70mph 75degs

92mils 70mph 77degs

104mils 70mph 72degs

123mils 70mph and arrived at destination engine idling 84degs

On the way back 152mils covered 70-90mph 75degs

205mils 70-80mph 75degs

End of journey back home idling for about 5mins 82degs i decided to take these readings before i fitted the Gates Thermostat TH01489.

Sunday the 21st August 2011
After stopping at his uncles for a few days i took the grandson back same trip most the temp ever reached on the journey was 78degrees at 30miles into the trip, at 70mph and again at 35mles at 70mph hit some traffic at 173 miles going between 10 -50mph 80degrees so sometime this week i will fit the in-line stat.

Well yesterday i managed to find time to fit the in-line top hose stat got what i needed round me to do the job, spanners dremel tools funnel and a container to catch the coolant which will drain out once the hose is removed.

First take of the engine cover 3 bolts this will give you access to the top hose which the stat fits into this hosr is held on by a stainless steel band which will have to be cut, unless your hose as been removed before and you may have a jubilee clip.

As you can see from Fig1 mine as the stainless steel band which i have started to cut.
Image1

I used the black disc which comes with the dremel tool Fig2
Image2

After first using this disc i decided it was a bit to large to actually see how the cut was going as you need to be carefull you do not cut into the hose so i changed it for a little pointed metal grinding tip which i did very slowly and kept checking the hose was ok it eventually ground enough for the band to be opend up with some small bull nosed pliers Fig3/4
Image3

Image4

I was then able to remove the clip and place my funnel with a bit of garden hose attached to it the other end went into my container to catch any coolant Figs 5/6
Image5

Image6

Now with the coolant collected which was very minimal the hose can be removed i tried to fit the stat with out removing the top hose altogether but found it very hard to push in the stat which is a very tight fit indeed, some have managed to do this but i could not Fig7/8
Image7

Image8

As you can see after i have silicon greased the stat and inside of the hose i inserted the stat only to find it was very hard to push it home so it was 10mm below the top of the hose so this is the reason i removed the top hose Fig9
Image9

With some great effort and a lot of hard pushing i managed to get the stat pushed in the hose 12-14mm the measurement is from the top of the copper bulb on the stat which points toward the engine.Fig10
Image10

In this photo i show the stat inserted and the measurement from the body of the stat which is 50mm Fig11
Image11

Now the in-line top hose stat is fitted making sure it is central i can replace the hose fit the new stainless jubilee clips and refill with coolant which came out if you do not collect the coolant as i did refill with neat OAT (Organic Acid Technology) Fig12
Image12

After running the enigne with the expansion tank cap off for about 5mins i turned engine off and re-checked the coolant level and topped up to mark, i then put cap back on re-fitted the engine cover tidy up wash hands etc and took the car for a spin after about 3 miles it was up to 75 at only 30-40 mph looking good carried on driving onto the M54 to get some top end speed up at revs of 2000-3000 at 70mph after about 8miles the temp was reaching 86-87 so nice got stuck in a bit of traffic for about 8mins temp reached 91 once driving it dropped back to 86-88 i have yet to do more testing today while taking the wife to hospital so a bit of stop starting driving once she as been sorted i will take the car for another run and check the temps on the OBD and will report back also for the rest of the week and up untill the end of the month. Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 23 Aug 2011, 09:54 #13 

Last edited by Arctic on 25 Mar 2015, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan
For comparison, I replaced mine with the OE one. Much bigger job of course. I'm getting 91-93 whether driving slowly, or after a fairly hard accell and then doing 60. Temperature is a bit warmer today, but not that hot.

Posted 02 Oct 2011, 15:21 #14 

Arctic
(Trader)
Well moving into late october now and all seems well with the in-line Gates Thermostat TH01489 winter will be the real test but am still happy at the moment Cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 09 Oct 2011, 21:59 #15 

raistlin
Unless I'm missing something, Rockauto don't seem to list this thermostat at the moment. Can anybody point me to a link please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 12:49 #16 

Arctic
(Trader)
HI Paul
Try these Arctic
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1862100

PS When i ordered mine.
The stat arrived this morning from gates my order was placed on August 12th 2011 at 04.58am and arrived today 15/08/2011 8.15pm fast service.

I note from the paper work that the Gates Thermostat TH01489 came from here below just incase this helps anyone.
RockAuto,LLC
Unit 1 Foremost Industrial Estate
Grange Mill Lane
Sheffield,
South Yorkshire
S9 1HW

service@rockauto.com
http://www.rockauto.com
Arctic

PS just loged in at the above and got this
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Go to part number search
Part Number TH01489
Manufacturer Gates
Part Group Cooling system
Part Type Thermostat
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 14:00 #17 

Last edited by Arctic on 25 Mar 2015, 10:05, edited 4 times in total.

raistlin
Thanks Steve. I see the picture of the thermostat but these doesn't seem to be mention of a price or even how to select it?
Paul

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 14:07 #18 

Arctic
(Trader)
raistlin wrote:Thanks Steve. I see the picture of the thermostat but these doesn't seem to be mention of a price or even how to select it?

Try this
Search for Part # = 'TH01489' and Manufacturer = 'GATES' and Part Type = 'Thermostat'

When i search it showing 12 left
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 14:11 #19 

raistlin
Thanks Steve :) I was using O instead of 0 in the part number - ooops.
Paul

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 14:18 #20