Stripey High Line Head Unit by MrB

MrB
My head unit just developed this fault the other day.
SG101177.JPG

It is about 3 pixels wide and the full depth of the screen.

Happened without any movement of the unit or of any of the boxes in the boot.

Anyone know if it is the head unit or something else and if it is repairable?

Thanks

Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 19:48 #1 

JohnDotCom
Is the fault visible on Sat Nav or viewing radio Stations?

If not most probably the TV Tuner which is also the Graphics output to screen.
Give the leads a wiggle first and push tight to ensure not just come loose.
Try removeing the plugs from the Tuner in boot and check no corrosion, loose bent pins or wet at all.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 24 Jul 2010, 08:44 #2 

MrB
It's there all the time John.

It has only just started to show up. Screen has been fine before this week.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 24 Jul 2010, 09:53 #3 

Duncan
Looks a bit like a fault with the LCD in the head. That's what laptops tend to look like when the screen starts to fail.

Wouldn't have expected duff connections from the graphics part to the display to give that kind of problem. It would be a missing colour, or a sync problem as the output is RGB with sync on (I think) green.

a screen swap would prove the source of the problem.

The TV tuner is only the switch for the video source, and the source for TV. The main graphics are controlled by the satnav computer. That's why if your satnav dies, the TV puts up it's own, rubbish looking menu.

Posted 24 Jul 2010, 16:55 #4 

JohnDotCom
Was obviously hoping it wasn't going to be the LCD panel but as Duncan says sounds as if it has developed a fault I'm afraid.
The Hi Line Computer screens often develop this fault sometimes caused by Temperature changes but in the end the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) has to be changed more often than not.

At any of the meets I'm sure someone will swap to prove the point as said.

EBay will be your next point of call, or change to the 16:9 E46 Screen if you are keeping the system and slowly upgrade the other parts.

This one to me is a mite expensive:
View eBay item 250671148175
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 24 Jul 2010, 19:05 #5 

Duncan
John, think you are getting confuzzled? Why would you change the IPK?

The problem is with the hiline display unit.

Posted 24 Jul 2010, 19:15 #6 

MrB
JohnDotCom wrote:Was obviously hoping it wasn't going to be the LCD panel but as Duncan says sounds as if it has developed a fault I'm afraid.
The Hi Line Computer screens often develop this fault sometimes caused by Temperature changes but in the end the IPK has to be changed more often than not.

At any of the meets I'm sure someone will swap to prove the point as said.

EBay will be your next point of call, or change to the 16:9 E46 Screen if you are keeping the system and slowly upgrade the other parts.

Am swapping all the High Line stuff out for a modern double din unit - very similar to the one Ceedy has recently fitted.

So am selling it anyways - will put a genuine advert on eBay for it showing the fault - unless someone on here wants it?

Can you get replacement LCD screens for them? Done a google search and can't find any information.

Typical of it to go just as I'm about to remove and sell it.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 24 Jul 2010, 22:48 #7 

JohnDotCom
Sorry Duncan not being very clear.

Meant, it is the same thing that happens to display often on the IPK top section.
John

Posted 25 Jul 2010, 09:10 #8