Slow page loading by Zeb (Page 1 of 2)

Zeb
terribly slow on W Vista and W7 using Ie8 and Ie9 respectively...been like this for a while now...cookies cleared etc...any ideas? Ta muchly :D

Posted 09 Nov 2011, 08:06 #1 

Dave
Same for me over the last two days on Vista and either IE7 and Firefox

Yesterday I was logged out of the site and had to re-enter username and password to get back in, which it usually remembers...

Posted 09 Nov 2011, 08:37 #2 

SpongeBob
I've personally not noticed this myself other than right this moment whilst writing this reply on my mobile but that could simply be down to network connection.

Any particular times when the site is slow or is it an all-the-time slowness?

Posted 09 Nov 2011, 15:08 #3 

Dave
For me, I think more evening times (around 7:00 to 7:30) whereas during the day (ie now) it's going fine!

Posted 09 Nov 2011, 15:16 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
There are occasional slow downs due to various factors, personally I have not noticed an overall slow down in page loading. Factors can include your service providers connection networks, traffic on your local node at certain times of the day, known as contention. Contention ratios are different on each network and nodes. Our own servers networks. Our own server suffers attacks from hackers quite regularly which invokes an automated reboot of Apache, this usually takes just a few minutes but rather than a slow down the forum is not accessible during one of these.
I suspect Daves 7.00-7.30 slow down may well be to contention on his local node as people come in from work and switch on their connections.
FYI I am on a BT network using Safari

Posted 09 Nov 2011, 15:30 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Having said all that, I have just found myself logged out. I have done a bit of testing and can find nothing in the logs to tell me why. Hope this is a one off.

Posted 09 Nov 2011, 15:43 #6 

JohnDotCom
I have found I've been logged out a couple of times and do appear to be loading slower on postings, above reasons could explain it but other sites at around same time have been fine.
Hopefully just a blip.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 10 Nov 2011, 19:17 #7 

Zeb
20 minutes ago all was fine....but now it is ball achingly slow again...:(

Posted 10 Nov 2011, 20:39 #8 

Dave
Happened to me again at 13:30 today, in fact the site wouldn't load at all

I think it happend to Carl at the same time, as at 13:32 he made a double post in this thread

Posted 11 Nov 2011, 14:43 #9 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Not only you Dave, the server was under a sustained attack for 16 minutes at that time. Required Apache to restart twice during that period from about 13.30. We are working on it. We are concerned this is malicious and not just script kiddies or criminals, we think we are too smaller a fish to be targeted by those.

Posted 11 Nov 2011, 15:25 #10 

Dave
Sounds nasty

Do whoever hosts the site have any tools to allow them to trace the attackers?

Posted 11 Nov 2011, 15:38 #11 

Mick
(Site Admin)
They would have to turn over most of their resources to trace and wouldn't do it on behalf of just one small customer. We are in the process of setting up another server specifically for our forum, this will be protected with all the tools at our disposal. Presuming that works then the rest of the commercial sites and two other forums hosted on our server will be transferred over. At the moment it looks very much like it is our forum which is the subject of these malicious attacks, woe betide the perpetrator.

Posted 11 Nov 2011, 16:14 #12 

Dave
Good luck with the changeover and hope you find out who's behind the attacks!

Posted 11 Nov 2011, 16:21 #13 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I have my hammer an nails ready if ever we do.

Posted 11 Nov 2011, 16:22 #14 

raistlin
VERY slow to load pages at the moment.

I don't know if it's a coincidence but this only seemed to start happening for me when I upgraded to Firefox 8.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 11 Nov 2011, 19:17 #15 

Mick
(Site Admin)
No problems at the moment Paul.

Posted 11 Nov 2011, 19:29 #16 

Dave
Anything dodgy at around 18:30 tonight?

Couldn't log on via IE7 or Firefox, and now (18:57) just had to re-enter logon details on successfully getting into the site via IE7

Posted 15 Nov 2011, 19:05 #17 

raistlin
Mick wrote:No problems at the moment Paul.

I'm now beginning to think that my problems were Firefox related Mick.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 15 Nov 2011, 19:14 #18 

Mick
(Site Admin)
raistlin wrote:
Mick wrote:No problems at the moment Paul.

I'm now beginning to think that my problems were Firefox related Mick.

Partially, the server is still getting hammered regularly, we did a fair bit more investigation this afternoon and we may have come up with a solution.

Posted 15 Nov 2011, 19:22 #19 

Zeb
Dave wrote:Anything dodgy at around 18:30 tonight?

Couldn't log on via IE7 or Firefox, and now (18:57) just had to re-enter logon details on successfully getting into the site via IE7

Also doing this at lunchtime....

Posted 15 Nov 2011, 20:03 #20