Passenger Electric Seat not working by carlpenn

carlpenn
Just been out to vacuum the carpets on the Tourer and for whatever wierd reason, teh Electric Passenger seat isn't working, The Drivers one still works fine though.

Does anyone have any ideas - I have checked Fuse 21 which is the 30 Amp for teh Electric Seats and it is ok?

Or could it be the Motor has packed up :(
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 11 Mar 2012, 13:21 #1 

yl51hfb
Check the black connector under the seat. Its not uncommon for the switch pack to stop working due to lack of use. Some greease and contact cleaner gets it working again most times.

Posted 11 Mar 2012, 13:39 #2 

carlpenn
cheers. The seat is all the way back, so I am struggling to get my hands near the Connector Blocks :( Is there any way at all to manually move these Seats? I cannot even unfasten the Seat from teh Car for better access lol !!
Upgrades:

Posted 11 Mar 2012, 15:01 #3 

Duncan
Is it an early or late car? Early ones have an ignition feed as well as the permanent, so two fuses, and ignition has to be on to move the passenger seat.

Shame you missed the Nano, we could have had a shufty.

Posted 11 Mar 2012, 19:31 #4 

carlpenn
Hi Duncan, it is a 52 Plate.

I checked the Handbook and the only seat related Fuses I could find where:

F3 Memory Seats (5a)
F19 Drivers Seat (30a)
F21 Power Seats (30a)
F25 Seat Heating (20a)

The only one I assume that would cause a problem would be F21, but I think that powers both seats? The issue is that the seat is set all the way back, so I am struggling to actually get under it too, as access from the front is severely limited due to the bars - I did pop a torch under and look for any loose or disconnected wires and couldn't see anything. Its just very wierd as it was working a few days ago, as I moved the seat forwards - So Tina has clearly moved it backwards since then.

Would have been nice at the Nano today, especially with the weather as nice as it was today - I forgot all about it to be honest, been busy cleaning the MGf and giving it a Polish, though in all honesty iit needs a clay first as teh paint surface feels rough :( then set about cleaning the 75 with the intention of polishing it too, but never got that far thanks to the blinking seat :( :(
Upgrades:

Posted 11 Mar 2012, 22:37 #5 

Duncan
I'll have a look tonight, but from memory I think the passenger seat will only work on earlier cars when the seat heating supply is there, even without heating. The memory seats will work even with ignition off, so long as the drivers door is open.

If it isn't that, it could be a plug under the seat. If you really can't get access it is possible to pull out the drive cables to the motor and turn them by hand, doing each side a bit at a time. But it will take you ages. I had to do this on a car when I bought the seats out of it!

Posted 12 Mar 2012, 08:05 #6 

carlpenn
Just been out to the Car and tried the Heated Seats, they aren't working so it must be that then :) Will pop a new fuse in tomorrow at work - Hopefully it will sort it out then :D

Cheers Duncan :D
Upgrades:

Posted 12 Mar 2012, 22:05 #7 

carlpenn
A big thx to Duncan :) Wierd how the seat won't move without the Heated Seats being active (Puzzled!!)

This is the 3rd time since Christmas I have had to renew the heated seat Fuse, never noticed the passenger seat wouldn't move without it lol. But I don't really sit in teh Passenger seeat often :p
Upgrades:

Posted 14 Mar 2012, 00:25 #8 

Arctic
(Trader)
Carl also try the yellow connector unplug it and plug it back in we had this happen over the week end with a 2000 car we moved the car seat right forward to do the handbrake MOD then it would not go back it was the yellow connector worth a try Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 14 Mar 2012, 01:23 #9 

Duncan
Yellow plug is airbag and won't affect seat movement. However you probably disturbed something else in the area. There's a blax round pin plug in the same area, which would cause the problem.

Posted 14 Mar 2012, 07:54 #10 

PaulT
If a fuse keeps blowing then there is something wrong and needs investigating.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 16 Mar 2012, 07:55 #11 

carlpenn
Update:

While vacuuming the Car out today, I moved the Drivers seat into "Position 1" on teh Memory seat, as the seat settled into its final position, the Fuse popped. So I had a look under the seat and couldn't see anything obvious, as I am now fed up of this, I grabbed my Socket sets and whipped the seat out and to my total horror have found the problem..........

The Blue socket plug (SRS (Supplementary Restraint System)?) and its wiring have got trapped in the winder for the seat movement, so when the seat settles back the winder winds out trapping the yellow cable and causing a short :(

I have no idea how to repair this safely other than paying an Auto Electrician, There is a clear split in the yellow protective cover where the Wiring has got trapped so I can safely assume that this is where the short is :(

I highly recommend everyone have a quick look under their driver seat as the cable in mention is only held on by on small clip at the base of the seat, the rest of it is hanging fairly loosely and can easily catch the Screwthread bar thing that moves your seat back and forth.

I should have took a Photo to show what I mean but forgot :(
Upgrades:

Posted 25 Mar 2012, 20:42 #12 

PaulT
You should be OK by using some self amalgamating insulating tape and wrapping it around the cable. As the name implies, this fuses itself together so will not unravel with time.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 26 Mar 2012, 05:53 #13 

Duncan
Mmm. Not sure that's causing your problem. The blue plug is on the airbag system so wouldn't affect the seats fuse. Check the wiring for the heated seat elements too as these are on the seats fuse.

Posted 26 Mar 2012, 19:10 #14 

carlpenn
Duncan wrote:Mmm. Not sure that's causing your problem. The blue plug is on the airbag system so wouldn't affect the seats fuse. Check the wiring for the heated seat elements too as these are on the seats fuse.

now that you have said that, I see my Error :p

Will have the seat out again and look at the wiring diagrams in the Hayne's Manual to see which the heated seat Wires are so I can give them a good going over.
Upgrades:

Posted 26 Mar 2012, 19:26 #15 

Duncan
Orange and yellow ones are the ones to look at. going to the big black plug.

Posted 26 Mar 2012, 19:46 #16 

carlpenn
Duncan wrote:Orange and yellow ones are the ones to look at. going to the big black plug.

Thanks Duncan. :D
Upgrades:

Posted 26 Mar 2012, 20:16 #17 

Arctic
(Trader)
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 28 Mar 2012, 00:21 #18 

MPH
Duncan thanks for the explanation and guidance on early models re F25, mine was blown so heated seats and passenger seat motors all working now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Posted 05 Dec 2015, 20:25 #19