electric seat wiring by mark d3

mark d3
does anyone know what colours do what? i won these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/rover-75-compl...item4cf0173d6c
and the plugs have been chopped off so need to know what does what :wales: :unionflag: :unionflag: aubergine electric seats
mark

Posted 05 Jul 2010, 21:24 #1 

jonjon77
l wrote down what pins are what so l will have a look at the loom l took out of an 03 saloon and get back to you with what the wires are for.mine are not memory

Posted 05 Jul 2010, 21:32 #2 

jonjon77
this is how my wiring loom works out
driver seat
pin 1 thick yellow=heated seat
pin 2 thick orange/white=heated seat
pin 3 thick black=earth
pin 4 thick orange/yellow=live
pin 5 thin purple/grey=live
pin 6 thin red/white/=k bus
pin 7 thin black/grey=logic earth
pin 8 thick orange green=live

passenger
pin 1 thick yellow=heated seat
pin 2 orange/white=heated seat
pin 3 thick black=earth
pin 8 thick orange/yellow=live

Posted 05 Jul 2010, 21:48 #3 

mark d3
cheers jonjon77 thats a massive help,cant thank you enough for sorting that for me,top bloke
mark

Posted 05 Jul 2010, 22:06 #4 

jonjon77
my pleasure.l will be having a go at fitting the loom in my car soon,it looks like it could be a nightmare :panic:

Posted 05 Jul 2010, 22:32 #5 

Duncan
To fit the wiring completely as the original is indded a fair bit of work.

To do a 'make it work' is somewhat easier.

If you want to wire it as Rover would have done, you need to take wires from the fusebox, over to the ignition switch, and then back to the seats and heater switches.

To route properly involves taking the dash out. Though that's not as hard as it sounds (done it three times now).

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 12:29 #6 

jonjon77
after much thought,l think l will be wiring it up the easiest/laziest way by taking power from the towbar connector near the fusebox and not bothering with the heated seat part.fitting that bit just to have a warm bum in winter doesnt justify the hassle l would have to go through.l have been offered help putting the loom in how rover intended,but if lm not prepared to do it the right way its hardly fair of me to expect someone else to do it.lm off to try and get the wiring in place and check it works.l will take some pics as l go along

jon

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 12:49 #7 

Duncan
Depending on the age of the seats, you may need to connect one of the heated seat wires up, at least on the passenger side.

Check if there's a relay fitted in th wiring under the seat. If yes, you will need to connect one of the heated seat connections to an ignition feed. Don't use a permanent feed or the relay will be permanently powered, and drain your battery.

It's the orange white one. Without this you won't get any movement.

On later cars, the relay is removed and the seat is powered permanently. You could mod your wiring to achieve this.

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 18:11 #8 

jonjon77
Duncan wrote:Depending on the age of the seats, you may need to connect one of the heated seat wires up, at least on the passenger side.

Check if there's a relay fitted in th wiring under the seat. If yes, you will need to connect one of the heated seat connections to an ignition feed. Don't use a permanent feed or the relay will be permanently powered, and drain your battery.

It's the orange white one. Without this you won't get any movement.

On later cars, the relay is removed and the seat is powered permanently. You could mod your wiring to achieve this.

hi duncan,lm glad you have mentioned the relay as ld heard about it but couldnt find it under either seat and l was wondering if ld left it behind.the seats came from a 03 saloon.l had a look for the towbar connector but l couldnt find it so l untangled the loom and layed it out next to the car to see if it was something l could do.l decided its too bigger job for me to fit it in so lm unsure where l can get the power from

jon

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 19:32 #9 

Duncan
03 is probably late enough not to have the relay. Not sure what point it got removed. If you took the seat out, you would have the relay as it's fixed to the seat itself.

Regarding the twoing supply, again it depends on the age and when it changed. Early cars the feed was powered, on later ones it's not connected at the underbonnet fusebox end. What does your passenger side fusebox look like? All grey, or some red bits?

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 19:52 #10 

jonjon77
after ld looked for the connector l found a orange/grey wire taped up near the fusebox but l couldnt get a ignition live from the wire so l thought that wasnt it.having no fuse explains why it was dead.l have the black with red fusebox

lve just noticed l didnt read it properly lastnight.l thought l just had to put a fuse in for the tow bar wire but l have to connect the wire itself.where do l need to connect that to on the boonet fusebox?

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 21:21 #11 

jonjon77
l found the orange and grey wire that needs connecting to the engine bay fusebox.l noticed that there was three unused spade ends under the fusebox so l pushed the wire on to one of them.l checked the other end of the wire near the passenger fusebox and l now have a permanent live feed.so as l understand it l just need to alter/butcher the loom from the doner car to end up with two lives and a earth for each seat.l know l will have to put some inline fuses in but is there anything else l need to know?

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 12:30 #12