Going round in circles on DVLA website by Bernard

Bernard
I cannot readily find (read- I'm too idle to go look for)the last MOT certificate for the Rover to check the expiry date.

I thought that this info was readily available on the DVLA website but the only reference that I can find there requires that the MOT certificate details are entered to access the record.

Well, if I knew that I wouldn't need to look it up, would I? The only positive thing is that I know it's still valid as it let me re-tax the car.

Does anyone know better?
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 25 Sep 2011, 12:58 #1 

Zeb
Yes. You can get those details by putting in the details of an older MOT certificate instead..:D

Posted 25 Sep 2011, 16:18 #2 

Bernard
Still means I've got to find it. I think that it's all part of a cynical ploy to extract a bit of cash from us for being reminded by text message,

Posted 25 Sep 2011, 18:23 #3 

Duncan
You can also use the number from the reg document. Assuming you can find that.... :gmc:

Posted 25 Sep 2011, 18:58 #4 

geesmith
You're probably right Bernard... like the thing they do when you declare a car SORN. Next year, even though you haven't taxed it, they bill you for not declaring it SORN again...and because it isn't taxed they don't send a reminder just a bill after the event. :cry:

Posted 25 Sep 2011, 19:00 #5 

Duncan
geesmith wrote:and because it isn't taxed they don't send a reminder just a bill after the event. :cry:

Is that a change then? I get a reminder every year for my SORN'd car. I'll have to stay alert if the reminders are going to stop.

Posted 25 Sep 2011, 19:03 #6 

geesmith
I read this on a campervan thread. The DVLA appear to be a law unto themselves. If they don't remind you then it's your look out. Other people replied with all kinds of stories. Someone said that a dealership received a large bill for the cars on the forecourt.

In summary, this isn't something I've personally experienced so it's second hand info. Still worth making a note of when it's due.

Posted 25 Sep 2011, 19:40 #7 

Bernard
And if they lose a SORN statement then it's your fault for not telling them that they've lost it. I found that out the hard way.

Also I had a right set to last year when I taxed my car at the local DVLA office. Swansea sent me a threatening letter months later saying that I had paid £10 short of the full tax.
'Well, you took the money yourselves' I wrote back also adding that I was about to leave the country for 6 weeks and would be unable to answer any further communication.

The upshot to it all, sorted out mainly via email as they wouldn't wait 6 weeks for the answer/money , was that they had lost the certificate for the LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) conversion and would neither accept that they had lost it or even that their own colleagues at Worcester must have had it originally to have given the me £10 discount in the first place. I was treated like a criminal over it and was rather cross to be thought of as an embezzler or worse.

The correspondence back and forth must have cost them £100s with the time that the particular dickhead spent on it. Jobsworth parasites with nothing much to do all day. They should be made to come out of their ivory towers and see what a proper days work is like.

Posted 25 Sep 2011, 20:57 #8 

Jürgen
Bernard wrote:Does anyone know better?

I would just have a look at this little coloured badge at rear number plate ... :stirer:

HU.png

... alas that won't work for you. :oops:

:gmc:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 25 Sep 2011, 21:32 #9 

geesmith
Not a bad idea to incorporate something similar on our cars though Jürgen... I'll print myself some.

The MOT certificate that my wife was given by her preferred garage has a peel off dated sticky label on the corner to attach to the back of your visor or somesuch to say when the next test is due. Neat! I wonder if mine have anything like that? ...now where did I put them?

Think of the pickle we'll get into if they go to 2 years.

Posted 26 Sep 2011, 19:07 #10 

takestock
my sorn notification for my kit car arrived and was completed on line yesterday ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 27 Sep 2011, 21:11 #11 

JohnDotCom
All the MOTs in Wales have a credit card size peel off with next MOT due date on them, is rest of UK not the same, other than not being printed in Welsh to?
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 27 Sep 2011, 22:04 #12 

Dave
JohnDotCom wrote:All the MOTs in Wales have a credit card size peel off with next MOT due date on them, is rest of UK not the same, other than not being printed in Welsh to?

Pretty sure ours are like this too, if not, I must have dreamt it (need to have better dreams!)

Posted 27 Sep 2011, 22:41 #13 

Duncan
Yes the peel of labels have been on English ones for a while too.

Posted 28 Sep 2011, 06:57 #14 

JohnDotCom
Thanks for confirmation Guys.
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 28 Sep 2011, 08:10 #15 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Mine does have a peel off. It also, however, offers at text reminder, only £1.50. Disgusting, how much is a text?
www.dirct.gov.uk/motreminders
I am absolutely positive I won't be using it.

Posted 28 Sep 2011, 12:38 #16 

JohnDotCom
Rip off merchants, should be 15p max if they want you to keep it up to date.
John

Posted 28 Sep 2011, 16:38 #17 

Duncan
They seem to be having some 'issues'. Offline yesterday when I wanted to check out the status of a car. Offline today when I want to SORN my 'rocco.

Great

Posted 06 Oct 2011, 20:54 #18