eBay - weird if not wonderful by raistlin

raistlin
I gave negative feedback earlier today because I was forced to claim my money back having got absolutely nowhere with a trader.

This is a literal cut and paste of part of a message I got from the trader:-

"I CAN (Bus Controller Area Network) GIVE YOU A £5 CASH-BACK for the inconvenience caused if you willing to revise the negative feedback to positive with good star rating. "

As I understand and interpret that message, I am being offered a financial inducement, receipt of which is CONDITIONAL upon me changing feedback from negative to positive. There being no material change in the situation which caused me to give the initial negative feedback.

If I am correct in my interpretation, then the seller is attempting to bribe me, albeit with a small amount, by making the offer of recompense for inconvenience conditional upon my action.

This is, in my view, precisely what is laid out in the Bribery Act 2010 Chapter 23 1(2)(a) and (b)(1).

According to a chat I've just had with eBay's "help" staff:-

a. It is extortion, not bribery

b. It is not even that as the trader is "just trying to compensate me for the inconvenience".

When I raised the point that the inconvenience would be the same whether the offer of recompense was conditional or unconditional, I was told that the seller had "Acted within the selling policies" and the chat was summarily terminated by the helpdesk.

Clearly, I have totally misinterpreted what the trader said... or have I?

The devil in me wants to present the facts to the CPS and see if they think there is a case. Clearly, my views on the matter are completely subjective :lol:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 14 Apr 2014, 18:50 #1 

PaulT
Should not be the devil in you that wants to contact the CPS but the good in you.

I would have more faith in you in knowing the ins and outs of the Bribery Act. eBay is simply a money making business so perhaps they do not care (unless it affects their income) what actually goes on and possibly want their traders to have a high rating so more people use them.

I have noted a few sellers that have a lot of bad feedback where the buyers have stated that they have had to use the disputes procedure to get their money back - but the trader is still allowed to trade.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 15 Apr 2014, 09:32 #2