Duxford...Battle of Britain 70th Aniversary by podge

podge
We have been very busy of late but I could not miss this important day,so yesterday we went up to Duxford..not only for the display but to pay homage to "The Few". I will try and post up some pictures but for me and no doubt everybody it was not so much the mass take off of 16 Spitfires but what followed a few minutes later that will remain a treasured memory.Four Hawks from 19 Squadron flew over and a single Hawk pulled up and away(this is the way the RAF pay respect to those who do not return from a mission)and this signalled the start of 1 minutes silence.What filled many eyes with tears and dry throats followed next.........out of that TOTAL silence(just a few skylarks to be heard) came the sound on the wind of sixteen Merlin engines getting louder and louder untill they all flew overhead in a magnificent formation.It still makes the emotions stir writing this,everybody was clearly very moved.A day that will remain in the memory forever.P.

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 17:06 #1 

Cowley_MOA
It sounds a fantastic day to me. I can't wait to watch some of the programs on the BBC. The Battle of Britain is in my view one of the most historical events ever. Hugh Dowding said this after Churchill's speech. This sums everything up perfectly in my view.

''I wish I could say all that is in my heart. I cannot surpass the simple eloquence of the Prime Ministers words. Never before has so much been owed by so many to so few. The debt remains and will increase. God bless you all.''
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 17:23 #2 

SpongeBob
Even the description of the event sounds awe inspiring and humbling. Sounds like a very proud moment to have been witness to.

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 17:31 #3 

Bernard
I look forward to seeing some photos.
I hope you have some of the Spits that I can show to my wife. Her father was a Spitfire pilot of 303 squadron and was involved.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 18:21 #4 

podge
I will do my best Bernard,I took some pictures with my "pocket" electric camera and some with my new super duper DSLR, those have come out quite well,once I can get them downloaded I will try.It was one of those afternoons you wanted to just watch and soak up and not spend the whole time looking in a veiwfinder.There was an outfit called"Planes T.V." recording it all,so I shall look out for the DVD.

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 18:49 #5 

MrB
SpongeBob wrote:Even the description of the event sounds awe inspiring and humbling. Sounds like a very proud moment to have been witness to.

:iagree:

Sounds a truly memorable occasion.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 19:53 #6 

raistlin
podge wrote:What filled many eyes with tears and dry throats followed next.........out of that TOTAL silence(just a few skylarks to be heard) came the sound on the wind of sixteen Merlin engines getting louder and louder untill they all flew overhead in a magnificent formation.It still makes the emotions stir writing this,everybody was clearly very moved.A day that will remain in the memory forever.P.

Crikey, that was evocative. I find myself imagining the event in great detail. It must have been wonderful.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 22:08 #7 

carlpenn
podge wrote:I will do my best Bernard,I took some pictures with my "pocket" electric camera and some with my new super duper DSLR, those have come out quite well,once I can get them downloaded I will try.It was one of those afternoons you wanted to just watch and soak up and not spend the whole time looking in a veiwfinder.There was an outfit called"Planes T.V." recording it all,so I shall look out for the DVD.

I would love to have been there myself. I have seen Duxford airshow on TV many, many times and there is always a brilliant presence of Spitfires there. There is nothing more magnificent and graceful as a Spitfire, well apart from 16 ;)

I look forward to the Photo's :D
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 23:11 #8 

Last edited by carlpenn on 07 Sep 2010, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.

Ragman
Wish I could have been there - such an eloquent description of the event

I remember once back at my parent place in Bucks whilst working on a car on the front drive I heard the unmistakeable sound of the Merlin but it was too loud for one - I was then treated to a very low flypast by a Mosquito - simply beautiful to behold, and brought a tear to my eye

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 23:19 #9 

Bermudan 75
Would loved to have seen the Duxford 70th, but I console myself with having attended the 60th.

My family used to live in a village called Chipperfield in Hertfordshire. One of the neighbouring villages was Bovingdon where there was a RAF airfield. During 1968 aircraft used in the filming of the film Battle of Britain used the airfield and used to regularly fly over our house.

First time I heard a Merlin engine the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end, that sound still has the same effect.

I have a book entitled, 'Honour Restored, The Battle of Britain, Dowding and the Fight for Freedom' by Squadron Leader Peter Brown AFC. Peter served with 611 Squadron at Duxford during the Battle of Britain.

He signed my copy of the book with the words, 'To Mike -A fellow member of the RAF. With best wishes. Peter Brown 2/6/06'.

It takes pride of place on the shelves in my study.

Posted 07 Sep 2010, 09:37 #10