Door cradle ... mk2... by theridler

theridler
Hi... anyone who attended the march nano may have seen my door cradle in action. Although it worked quite well I did find that on the slightly uneven grassy ground the base of the cradle tended to be just a little bit too high leading to 2 problems... it was difficult to get far enough under the door to support it as well as I wanted (tended to be a bit "tippy" towards hinge end of door). When pushed under as far as it would go (60%..) it tended to rack slightly on the 2 hinge pins a bit making it difficult to lift off said pins... (corrected by easing the cradle out slightly... bit close to balance point of door but it lifted easily then could be slid back slightly ... as much as door loom would allow...).
Anyway today I put some thought into it and at next nano you should be witness to a height adjustable cradle... involves incorporating a pair of wheel jacks.... when I get a chance I'll post a couple of photos of my idea... any constructive thoughts or comments are welcome...

Posted 25 Mar 2016, 21:04 #1 

theridler
adjustable cradle b.jpg

Well... it's finished - should work well...
Roll on next nano in May...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 28 Mar 2016, 18:40 #2 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi John.
That should do the trick perfect, we need to allocate the jack winding to someone :lol: one of those guys who walk about with their hands in their pockets, very ingenious :thumbsup:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 29 Mar 2016, 05:18 #3 

Trebor
Yes well done John worked well at the last Nano and given the amount of times doors get taken off it is a great addition to the toolkit !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 29 Mar 2016, 08:21 #4 

theridler
OK ... so now I'm after another guinea pig to trial my updated door cradle at the next nano meet... anyone interested? Date is 14 & 15 May....

Posted 03 Apr 2016, 20:20 #5 

stevenicks
John, As am in need of fitting a set of powefolds I don't mind being the Guinea Pig.

By the way the MK2 looks the business ☺

Posted 25 Apr 2016, 06:47 #6 

theridler
No Probs... will catch up @ nano...

Hmm ... I wonder if I could use a seat forward/back motor to drive the jacks??? (just joking :)!)

Posted 28 Apr 2016, 09:24 #7 

theridler
One thing I am thinking of adding though is a small end stop at front of cradle to accurately locate door at the front lower edge, so that could be used as a reference for quick alignment for refitting door...

Posted 28 Apr 2016, 09:31 #8