Anyone been to, or live in by RRobson

RRobson
Fawley, near southampton? this will probably fall on deaf ears, but i just want to gauge what the area is like, things to do etc and of course (dont say anything zeb) the nearest pub. im staying near the powerstation as part of my training, and will be working at the station for the next two week, so should be an interesting experience, but will mean i dont have acces to this forum, unless i can borrow someones laptop :roll:
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 21:45 #1 

ColinB
My sister worked at Fawley for a while and this pub rings a good bell.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?oe= ... 8573810327

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 22:29 #2 

RRobson
cheers, will take a note of it then. hopefully the weather will hold out while im there, but will be going to beaulieu on the weekend, so that will be my sat covered, sunday will probably be spent feeling sorry for myself after a good sesion in southampton :mrgreen:

Injector removal tool
Vis tester

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 22:35 #3 

JohnDotCom
Beware of the ladies of the night down there........ ;) :gmc:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 22:43 #4 

RRobson
JohnDotCom wrote:Beware of the ladies of the night down there........ ;) :gmc:

how would you possibly know to warn me of these perils? :mrgreen: not me who needs to be careful anyway, its one of the other lads who is going down, can be a little mischievous...

Injector removal tool
Vis tester

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 22:48 #5 

Jürgen
Reece, if you're interested in history, maybe Portsmouth is worth a detour. There you can visit Nelson's HMS Victory (amongst others) at the Historic Dockyard.

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 07:11 #6 

James.uk
Never been to the oil place at Fawley Reece, but used to go to that area of the New Forest in my youth to do a bit of poaching. ;) ..

Lovely area once you get into the woods. Though the best bit of the "old" forest is to the North of the main London to B/mouth road (A31). Great place for tree hugging. :)

It's not that far to get the ferry over to the Isle of Wight, nothing there mind, but it will keep ya busy for a while.. heh heh.. :)

A run along the South coast in a Westerly direction is very scenic. If you made it a day out you could get as far as Corfe Castle n Sit on the cliff tops at Kimmeridge. Again, nothin much there, (Kimmeridge) but nice views of the English Channel, as long as it ain't misty, foggy, or raining hard. :D .

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 14:09 #7 

Ragman
Find a pub thay sells 'Old Thumper' BUT get someone else to drive and only have a half to start with

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 21:52 #8 

Zeb
Ragman wrote:Find a pub thay sells 'Old Thumper' BUT get someone else to drive and only have a half to start with

Bah, ya girly...a half! That was one of my evening's entertainments.... :D Lived in Southampton until I was about 22. Fawley area...norralot there really barring the refinery. But Romsey is very nice and not too far away for a nosey..and Brockenhurst if you can talk posh and like horses is very pretty. Fishing is good down that way but the lake's name eludes me atm. Southampton City Centre used to have lots going on and the parks there are nice...John was referring to the St Marys district re the ladies of the night...years ago they'd pop a red light in the front window of their two up two down terrace house and then sit by it....if a blokey wandered past they'd flash you by opening up their dressing gowns.....good place to get lost....you might go up and down one street three or four times :D ...the shebeens were good too but I doubt they are still there now. Now, what was he saying about deaf ears? :confused:

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 06:37 #9 

RRobson
thanks for the heads up, will try and look into what has been suggested ;) setting off at around 1 today, so should be at the B&B in time for top gear :roll: hopefully it wont rain when we get there. but didnt expect as many to suggest places to see as have done, so thanks alot :mrgreen:

Injector removal tool
Vis tester

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 10:02 #10