A tale from the Court... AKA taking the p*** by raistlin

raistlin
I was in Court last Thursday, dealing with a sending to the Crown Court for two defendants on a joint charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice.

The prosecutor explained as follows:-

One of the defendants had been previously in Court charged with fraud. As the trial was starting, a colleague of the Bench walked into the court room and spoke to the Legal Adviser (AKA Court Clerk).

The L/A then turned to the Bench and asked that they should rise immediately. Normally this means serious trouble so they did so and the L/A joined them in the retiring room to let them know that the colleague who had just been in the court room previously had seen the defendant in the fraud case they were trying, with a Bluetooth earpiece in her ear.

It seems he had seen her in the foyer having difficulty fixing the device in place inside her Hijab, and was being assisted by another woman in Muslim dress, also wearing Hijab.

The big concern was that both the defendant and her associate had come into Court wearing Niqabs.

The Bench returned to the court room and having resumed their seats, the Chairman asked the prosecutor to pause, instructing the defendant to remove her Niqab immediately. She refused, even after it was explained that she would be in contempt of Court should she persist.

In fact, it wasn't until the dock officers arrived from the cells to take her into immediate custody that she complied, and it became obvious that she was, indeed, wearing a Bluetooth earpiece, which was clearly operative as the blue LED (Light Emitting Diode) was seen to be flashing.

Her associate was, at this time, trying to make her way unobtrusively to the exit from the public gallery, and the Chairman directed one of the dock officers to detain her as well.

She also refused to remove her Niqab, even under threat of contempt proceedings, which left the Bench with no alternative but to have her held pending the arrival of the Police, on suspicion of attempting to pervert the course of justice.

The fraud trial was adjourned until a day to be decided.

Following this, both women had been searched in the Court cells by the Police. Both were found to be wearing Bluetooth earpieces and both were found to be in possession of mobile phones which were switched on when the Police seized them.

It was confirmed by their respective phone service suppliers that the two phones had been connected during the time of the trial, meaning that the defendant and her associate were in direct but hidden contact, and would have remained so, presumably, for the duration of the trial.

Both were then charged with attempting to pervert the course of justice and were released on bail to attend Court last Thursday, at which time they were formally sent to the Crown Court.

Novel use of a politically sensitive situation I thought.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 04 Nov 2013, 16:26 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
The one place IMNSHO where the wearing of this 12th century garb should be forbidden or should that be Haram is in our courts of law. Anywhere else it's freedom of choice to be wrapped head to toe in a sack or any other covering. Good on the person that saw them.

Posted 04 Nov 2013, 16:57 #2 

DaveyC
I'm gonna have to stop reading these, as I get more depressed each time I read one. I can only hope they have to book thrown at them and have a custodial sentence but no doubt that is asking a bit too much...... My aunt is a magistrate over in Nottingham and my brother in law in Cambridge. They have similar goings on in their respective courts......

You have far more patience than me Paul.

Dave

Posted 04 Nov 2013, 20:43 #3 

raistlin
DaveyC wrote:a custodial sentence but no doubt that is asking a bit too much......
Dave

Why? I expect two years for both of them Dave
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 04 Nov 2013, 21:09 #4 

Borg Warner
Couple this with the chappie absconding recently whilst on some form of remand? I fear a worrying trend, in all of its guises.

Gary M

Posted 05 Nov 2013, 13:29 #5 

James.uk
Masks should be banned in any public place, no matter what you call it, or what excuse you give for wearing one.. So should fat lips, curly hair, and tattoos innit.. :D :D :D

Posted 05 Nov 2013, 18:25 #6