A tale or two from the Court by raistlin (Page 1 of 2)

raistlin
I haven't had much to say regarding Court just recently. Truth to tell it has been so depressing and predictable.

However, a couple of anecdotes from my cases today:-

First, a youth we were sentencing for carrying a bladed article in a public place, specifically a kitchen knife with a 7" blade.

As some of you may know, one of the advantages (or not) in the Youth Court is that the Chairman of the Bench can interact directly with the defendant. We have the greatest latitude in our range of allowable questions and comments and boy do I take advantage :lol:

Anyway, it was clear to us that the lad in front of us was aware that carrying a knife like that was a No-No but he just as clearly wasn't sure why. Something he'd need to understand if he was to accept the reason behind his sentence.

I asked him why he carried a knife and after some initial skirmishing, he came out with the expected reason which, roughly translated from his street patois, meant that it was thought of as little more than a fashion accessory as all the chaps carried one.

I asked him if he could see a possible danger in that and he clearly couldn't.

I then asked him to say what he thought I might do if somebody in the street really pissed me off (yes, you're allowed to say things like that if it gets a point across).

He looked at me and said something to the effect of:- "You'd really go off on one" At this point I'd remind those of you reading this that I have been UNfavourably compared to Brian Blessed on steroids when I'm sat up there :lol:

"Yes, I probably would" I said. "Would you like to be the cause of me 'going off on one'?" I asked him, which elicited an embarrassed little laugh as he considered the possibility.

"Do you know what I like to carry around as a fashion accessory?" I asked the lad, and after a moment's thought he shook his head.

" A loaded UZI 9mm machine gun" I said.

My colleagues assure me that the dawn of understanding was truly there :lol: A member of the Youth Offending Team later said that it had been most effective... and could she please see my big gun. Hmmm...

In another case, the defendant, a young woman with seven children, no partner and living on benefits, and pleading guilty to shop theft for the umpteenth time, became quite irate when there was a delay owing to the fact that a probation officer was not immediately available:-

"As a tax payer, I expect better" she said. :lol:

BTW, does anybody still bother to read this stuff?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 13 Jul 2012, 20:29 #1 

carlpenn
raistlin wrote:
BTW, does anybody still bother to read this stuff?

Yes I do and always look forward to reading them, so does Tina ;)
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 13 Jul 2012, 20:38 #2 

kandyman
raistlin wrote:BTW, does anybody still bother to read this stuff?

I always read them, sorry if I don't alway post to say so.

Always interesting to read what happens in the court room and to hear your dealings.

Posted 13 Jul 2012, 21:25 #3 

Mofo
raistlin wrote:
"As a tax payer, I expect better" she said. :lol:

Please say you said - so do I , see you in 12 months.

Posted 13 Jul 2012, 22:22 #4 

Bernard
I look forward to your 'Tales from...', I'm just too idle to always reply. ;)
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 14 Jul 2012, 07:17 #5 

raistlin
Thanks for the answers chaps. Then I'll continue :)
Paul

Posted 14 Jul 2012, 08:44 #6 

Jürgen
raistlin wrote:BTW, does anybody still bother to read this stuff?

Me too. ;)

Posted 14 Jul 2012, 10:14 #7 

Tootall
Enjoy reading your 'tales from the courtroom' please carry on posting.
Ex-Longbridge track monkey.

Posted 14 Jul 2012, 10:20 #8 

Jumper
I do. Somewhat surprised that you can do that. Thought it was all protected under 'contempt' or 'magisterial discretion' rulings. Not media reports, just bench-wise. How do you retain your faith in human nature? You only see people at their very worst. Self-control must be a problem.

Posted 14 Jul 2012, 12:48 #9 

raistlin
The proceedings of a Court are public knowledge except in a very few cases. Youth Court is a closed Court for example, but the press can report providing they don't give name or address of the defendant.

I retain my faith in human nature because I am, by my own nature, an optimist. Having said that though, there are numerous occasions in Court where my optimism is borne out.

Self-control is never a problem apart from animal cruelty and child abuse cases and even then, experience wins out. I've also learned, over the years, how to use body language to convey precisely what I want to make known ;)
Paul

Posted 14 Jul 2012, 14:07 #10 

Borg Warner
I read them too Paul.

Used to work with a Magistrate who sat at Gloucester Courts. He apparently sorted "Safari Boy" out.

Gary M.

Posted 14 Jul 2012, 15:10 #11 

raistlin
Borg Warner wrote: He apparently sorted "Safari Boy" out.

??? Sorry Gary. Not sure what you mean.
Paul

Posted 14 Jul 2012, 15:49 #12 

Borg Warner

Posted 14 Jul 2012, 16:52 #13 

raistlin
Thanks Gary
Paul

Posted 14 Jul 2012, 17:14 #14 

Gate Keeper
I am happy to read your posts Paul and think these offenders are lucky to have a penal system which enables them to reach court and have their case heard and considered for sentence or judgment. Out here in east Africa, many never reach it to court as the penal system is over stretched, ancient and suspects often end up being punished by locals (lynched/stoned/burned) or shot by the police. Crimes such as theft, rape and murder are capital offences. The ones which do make it court face either a long sentence or the gallows.

Posted 15 Jul 2012, 15:25 #15 

podge
Pleas keep us posted Paul,its good to be able to read about matters from one on "The Inside" as it were.P.

Posted 19 Jul 2012, 21:15 #16 

Chartermark
Yes me too Paul. As you know my late legal friend was latterly a judge, and in the early days of email, he'd record all his amazing experiences to a few friends. It's now, all those years from first reading them that I appreciate their content. Sadly nothing seems to change?

Posted 19 Jul 2012, 21:37 #17 

SpongeBob
Very enjoyable reading your tales Paul. Good to see some good old fashioned justice being served when you're on the bench :) :thumbsup:

Posted 19 Jul 2012, 21:42 #18 

Bermudan 75
Keep up the good work Paul, both in the Magistrates Court and your posts here.

Mike

Posted 19 Jul 2012, 21:47 #19 

raistlin
OK, I will :)
Paul

Posted 19 Jul 2012, 22:02 #20